Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 23,006 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Lawton, OK area in about 1 month as he has been relocated to Ft. Sill but we will only be staying for about 6 months. I have read some previous blogs about the crime and gang activity in Lawton but some of them are outdated and I am wondering currently where are the safest places to live. We would be willing to drive 30 minutes one way if it meant a safer community.

I am also wondering if there are any places that offer short term leases for people in the military.

I currently work in the medical research field and have not found much in my search for jobs near Lawton. Are there any companies or research institutes near Lawton or the surrounding areas?

Also, we will not be able to get to OK before our move so we will probably need to stay in a hotel while we search for a place to live. What are some inexpensive yet safe hotels in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Lawton is an interesting community. My uncles lived in Lawton for many years so I have a little knowledge of the place. There are many, many hotels but they stay booked because of Fort Sill visitors and soldiers out on weekend passes. In my opinion, the farther south and west you go in Lawton, the less desirable areas.

Medicine Park is near Lawton and it's a very unique community. It has an intriguing history; you might want to look into it if you don't want to live in Lawton proper.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 22,833 times
I just relocated to Lawton in Jan. my husband is here for a class. All I can say is I probably would have went back to my home town if we could not have gotten on base housing.

Try looking in Elgin, there is a guy there that rents nice looking townhomes by the month for military but they are usually full and hard to get into. If you need help I can try and get his # for you.

As far as a hotel I would recommend staying at the one on base though you will need to book it in advance because it fills up quick. It is not nice, but I at least felt safe. the beds are not comfortable but it does have a small kitchen with microwave,stovetop and small fridge. It was also clean

I haven't had any experince with gangs here so I'm not sure about that. They only time I leave the base to go into Lawton is when my daughter has activites that take uys off or to go have dinner somewhere.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM

197 posts, read 522,144 times
Anything on the East side of Lawton is nice and safe, we have been here 2 years and have lived on the SE side. We have never had any problems, no crime and its very quiet here. This the "country" side of Lawton. Its sad that the above pster doesnt leave post. There is so much to see and do in the surrounding area. The Wichitas Wildlife Refuge is absolutely beautiful. They have wild buffalo, texas longhorn, prairie dogs and they are free roaming not caged up. Norman, Oklahoma City and that surrounding area is also nice. Like I said we have been stationed here 2 years and love it. Im actually sad that we are PCSing in 3 weeks. Good Luck

Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 22,504 times
Hi im trying to find a home in a very short amount of time! We are army and my husband is relocating. We need a four to five bedroom I have pets they are house broke! I have a cat and one dog a collie. Where do you suggest I look or who should I call? Please if you can email me at [email]brianshoney2005@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 21,285 times
I am currently considering moving to Lawton; and have found the crime data to be crazy. I read one post where the east side is safer, could you please give like a landmark, east side takes you further away from Ft. Sills and the wild life refuge, is that accurate?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyunwiya View Post
I am currently considering moving to Lawton; and have found the crime data to be crazy. I read one post where the east side is safer, could you please give like a landmark, east side takes you further away from Ft. Sills and the wild life refuge, is that accurate?
Lawton is only 13 miles wide (east to west). So living out on the East side of town really doesn't take you that far from Ft. Sill or the Wild Life Refuge.
East side of town is concidered anything on the East side of I-44
West side of town is concidered anything on the West side of 67th Street

Crime in Lawton is what one would expect from a town with a population of 100k people.

Also, alot of people are looking to live outside of Lawton and don't mind the drive to get to work. Areas to look at are Elgin (Growing into a nice little town), Duncan, Geronimo, Cache, Medicine Park/ Lake Lawtonka areas.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 29,850 times
I just left Lawton and would live NE side of Gore BLVD (country) we rented a two story townhome 3 bedroom 2 baths for $895.00 a month. NE Bell is a family friendly area, which is right next to the best High School in Lawton (Macarther Highschool) and also in the area of the best Elementry School in Lawton (Carriage Hills). I also think this area is the most safe as far as crime (the places they tell you to stay away from in the Military). My kids loved the schools and the area and so did we...close to the water park which is GREAT! It's also close but far enough away from Cache Rd which is where EVERYTHING is at shopping wise. I wouldn't live in Elgin, Duncan, Geronimo or Medicine Park to far from base (just from what I heard living there or saw)....there is NOTHING to do in those places...Medicine park was over rated and rundown but good for a history type tour....I heard Cache is one of the nicer places to live outside of Lawton and it's actually got a town center. Hope this helped!

Last edited by Barbara3ktpb; 03-02-2011 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 20,724 times
My husband and I are moving there in August and I was just wondering if you went thru a realtor on your townhome rental? If so would it be possible to get there information so I can look into some rental homes in that area? Thank you for your time.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 35,821 times
I posted on another thread that I'm selling a house on the east side if you are interested in buying. The address is 106 NE Babbitt in the Pioneer Park Addition. It's a remodeled four bedroom with a huge back yard with a shade tree. A lot of people do like living on the east side. Plus Lawton is renovating an area near downtown in hopes to improve shopping and entertainment in the area. We have quite a few nice restaurants including some that aren't chains but pretty good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma