Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:35 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,391,057 times

Advertisements

I much preferred the Indian on it, but it would be cool if the scissortail had a tail, and not having a tail makes it pretty dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 PM

793 posts, read 1,122,602 times
^ The tail is visible on the new plate.

I much prefer the Native American plate as well.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,527,357 times
How about a license plate with a picture a big pothole?

Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,579,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleOkie View Post
So, I guess they are changing our license plates from the ol' tried and true Indian shield and peace pipe..now is this the worst design ever, or is it just me?
<>
Does anyone else finds this rather ugly?<>
Made me think of a poem from high school:
The Arrow and the Song

By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I shot an arrow into the air,

It fell to earth, I knew not where;

For, so swiftly it flew, the sight

Could not follow it in its flight.
ETC.,

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,053,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I don't know if my opinion counts as an out-of-stater but the plates aren't that bad looking.

They would look better if they were stamped, imo.

The design is certainly more interesting than what we have here in PA (yawn):

https://thelicenseplatesite.com/694-...-plate-tag.htm
I like yours. It's simple and to the point.

I pay scant attention to license plates, but the OK one and all that scissortail stuff is silly. That God-Awful thing over I-40 looks like a gigantic construction rig of some sort. Lighting it up at night like a Christmas tree just makes it look gawdy and dumb. If I were barreling down I-40 and saw that thing sticking up into the sky way ahead of me, I'd probably make a detour, thinking that thing was going to slow traffic to a stop.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I like yours. It's simple and to the point.

I pay scant attention to license plates, but the OK one and all that scissortail stuff is silly. That God-Awful thing over I-40 looks like a gigantic construction rig of some sort. Lighting it up at night like a Christmas tree just makes it look gawdy and dumb. If I were barreling down I-40 and saw that thing sticking up into the sky way ahead of me, I'd probably make a detour, thinking that thing was going to slow traffic to a stop.
I don't like the new Oklahoma plate but I like the of the homage to the scissortail, including the new downtown park in OKC and the SkyDance Bridge because the scissortail is a notable figure in my Choctaw culture. That's why I really like the bridge, and the lighting, and it's abstract structure.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,053,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I don't like the new Oklahoma plate but I like the of the homage to the scissortail, including the new downtown park in OKC and the SkyDance Bridge because the scissortail is a notable figure in my Choctaw culture. That's why I really like the bridge, and the lighting, and it's abstract structure.
Thanks for your response. It answered a question I had. When they first put up that bridge thing, I heard it was an Indian symbol. That's it...just some Indian symbol. Then time went by and I kept hearing it called a bird tail design. I asked an Indian friend (I can't remember what tribe, but not Choctaw) and she laughed and said, no, it was the bird tail and nothing to do with Indians. So I abandoned what I'd heard. Now you've taken me full circle.

lolol.

I'm going with Indian. It makes more sense than a bird tail, Choctaw culture or not. I can appreciate a native culture thing; I can't quite latch onto a bird tail for no apparent reason.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Thanks for your response. It answered a question I had. When they first put up that bridge thing, I heard it was an Indian symbol. That's it...just some Indian symbol. Then time went by and I kept hearing it called a bird tail design. I asked an Indian friend (I can't remember what tribe, but not Choctaw) and she laughed and said, no, it was the bird tail and nothing to do with Indians. So I abandoned what I'd heard. Now you've taken me full circle.

lolol.

I'm going with Indian. It makes more sense than a bird tail, Choctaw culture or not. I can appreciate a native culture thing; I can't quite latch onto a bird tail for no apparent reason.
You're welcome! I think my comment may have been unclear, though. The SkyDance Bridge was inspired by the scissor-tailed flycatcher. It just so happens that that specific bird is important to Choctaw people, and that's why I personally really like the bridge, along with the design. I don't think the bridge has an origin as a Native symbol, just purely an abstract structure of the scissortail bird, not just the tail. I don't agree that it's for "no apparent reason" however. I think it's valid because it's the state bird and the scissortail's range is only a small part of the US and Oklahoma is the heart of it.

Last edited by KayneMo; 08-01-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,758,068 times
Bring back the ORANGE and BLACK car tags for OSU!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma