Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM

16 posts, read 52,569 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I are considering a move back to Oklahoma.

I have applied, tested, and placed on the eligible list for Special Agent II with OSBI. At first glance, health insurance coverage with the state looks to be extremely expensive! Can anyone speak to this?

Also, anyone with experience on hiring time line for OSBI or feedback on the organization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:11 AM

Anyone a state employee?? My wife is an Oklahoma native and I promise we are not moving from California, lol!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I am not nor have I ever been a state employee, so I am just giving an opinion.

I was looking at the rates, which look about right as far as costs of health insurance, then on the bottom of the page it has the employee benefit allowance. From what I can see, your monthly benefit allowance should come close to equaling your monthly cost. So, I think they have some complicated bookwork about your health insurance, but it shouldn't cost that much unless you choose the most expensive company.

I looked on this page: <Monthly> (http://www.ebc.state.ok.us/en/Benefits/PlanYear2008/Plan_Rates/Monthly_2008_planrate.htm - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Peggy, thanks so much for your reply. I have never seen "benefit allowance" before, meaning I am used to seeing the rate I am paying as a group member.

That makes sense now and is very comforting!!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:53 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
You are very welcome. I merged the two threads so you can get a better response.

Most of us here in OK consider a state job a good one. The pay is not the highest but you have good benefits and retirement.

We don't mind people from California here in OK. We even like some of them!

Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post

We don't mind people from California here in OK. We even like some of them!
Lets not generalize, ok?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Geez, those ARE expensive. Am I assuming correctly by looking at the details it costs over 1400 dollars a month for just an employee and a spouse, no children? Unbelievable! You'd be better off doing it on your own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a state employee, so I am just giving an opinion.

I was looking at the rates, which look about right as far as costs of health insurance, then on the bottom of the page it has the employee benefit allowance. From what I can see, your monthly benefit allowance should come close to equaling your monthly cost. So, I think they have some complicated bookwork about your health insurance, but it shouldn't cost that much unless you choose the most expensive company.

I looked on this page: <Monthly> (http://www.ebc.state.ok.us/en/Benefits/PlanYear2008/Plan_Rates/Monthly_2008_planrate.htm - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Never mind. I saw the employee benefit allowance (and your message Peggy), which offsets the cost and that's much more reasonable.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM

I missed that as well. They just do not spell it out as one would expect. I just about freaked out when I first looked at the monthly cost.

Upon closer examination, nearly the entire cost is paid by the state, even with life, ect.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 70,016 times
Yup, you get a benefit allowance. We've been able to get good insurance coverage within our benefit allowance and actually have a little left over. Right now any you don't use, you get back but they're thinking about changing that. My husband works for Workforce Oklahoma so I can't speak specifically to OSBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: