Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You two both make good points, but if this is going where I think it might be, I'm going to move it to the politics forum. Agreed?
You've been spending WAY too much time moderating a**holes. Things those guys forget that we here, haven't.......before we are blue or red, we are red white and blue. We all want what is best for our country, our children and ourselves.....in that order. Some of us spell "future" as "Paul" or "Hillary" or "McCain" or "Nader" but we all are in the same corner when it comes to individual rights and the constitution. I'm reminded of the quote...."I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (oratory then was magnificent, wasn't it?). And when CG and I shake hands, it is going to be a dam good plan.

Besides, how am I going to help CG become a tried and true Okie, comfortable with the tsa la ghi, and fat and sassy on calf fries (can not wait to take him to Vinita...that is where we put crazy people, you know...as well as being the calf fry festival and rodeo to end all such events).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
We actually agree here also for the most part...
Do NOT patronize me.........I may have to invest in some beechnut just to be able to spit it in.............

Quote:
It's nice to have acreage!
Amen

Quote:
So dogs are equal to humans?
And yes, there are some dogs I like better than some
humans, but that's not the point.
The point is, in real life (in the world of survival of the fittest). that which is inferior or incapable of defending itself has no right to life. Right to life, IMO is laughable. I find it incredible that one does not have the right to end ones life when it becomes unbearable.

AND, FWIW, no, dogs are not equal to humans.....they are infinitely superior.
Quote:
If a tree falls in the forest and no hears it, does it make a sound?
Even more important, does anyone care?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,405,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You've been spending WAY too much time moderating a**holes. Things those guys forget that we here, haven't.......before we are blue or red, we are red white and blue. We all want what is best for our country, our children and ourselves.....in that order. Some of us spell "future" as "Paul" or "Hillary" or "McCain" or "Nader" but we all are in the same corner when it comes to individual rights and the constitution. I'm reminded of the quote...."I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (oratory then was magnificent, wasn't it?). And when CG and I shake hands, it is going to be a dam good plan.

Besides, how am I going to help CG become a tried and true Okie, comfortable with the tsa la ghi, and fat and sassy on calf fries (can not wait to take him to Vinita...that is where we put crazy people, you know...as well as being the calf fry festival and rodeo to end all such events).
You're right on all counts.

I liked Paul because he wouldn't have run roughshod
all over the constitution and individual rights like the others will.
(And have been doing for decades.)

You won't have to worry about "The Bircher"...
He said he won't go independent and he's cutting back
on his presidential campaign to focus on his congressional election.

I couldn't vote for any of the 3 current front runners,
and to write in Ron Paul or Alan Keyes in the general
election would be a waste of time...
So unless anything changes, I'm probably gonna sit this one out.

I voted for the lesser of two evils in 2004...
And MAN do I regret that!
(Even a lesser evil is still evil.)

Let the country get what they think they want,
and hopefully they'll have learned their lesson by 2012.
(But I won't hold my breath.)

I'd go somewhere else, but there's no where better,
so I guess I'll be stuck going along for the ride.
Hope it's not as bumpy as I think it will be...

Gee... I'm sounding awfully pessimistic this morning...
Better get another cup of coffee.
(Remember... A pessimist is just an optimist with experience.)

Old 02-11-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Do NOT patronize me.........I may have to invest in some beechnut just to be able to spit it in.............
A spitoon? The road? The toilet?

Some clarification may be in order...
I'm not quite sure where you're going with this.

Quote:
Amen
Maybe I can achieve acreage when I retire....
(Like I'm gonna live that long.)

Quote:
The point is, in real life (in the world of survival of the fittest). that which is inferior or incapable of defending itself has no right to life. Right to life, IMO is laughable.
Okay... If you believe that, how can you vote for someone
who wants to take your money to support able bodied
people who are seemingly incapable of getting out of bed
and going to work in the morning?

Do you get to shoot them too?
(I know you'd like to, but...)

You may want to reconsider voting Democrat and see
who the Barbarian Party candidate is...
You might like him better.
Heck... I might like him better too! Anything is better
than the 3 choices we seem to be left with at this time.

BTW.... Don't think the way you spun the original "pro-life"
issue into new and interesting realms went unnoticed.

Quote:
I find it incredible that one does not have the right to end ones life when it becomes unbearable.
Any person who's not subject to religious restrictions can
easily end their life... And they'll never be arrested if they're successful.
It's just not legal in most states to pay a doctor to do it for you.

Quote:
AND, FWIW, no, dogs are not equal to humans.....they are infinitely superior.
Unfortunately, in some cases, that's true.
Dogs never do anything out of spite.

Quote:
Even more important, does anyone care?
Yeah... That squirrel who was sitting in said tree probably did.
Yeah, I know... You hate squirrels too!

My neighbor uses a .410 magnum on them.
(If he was a good shot, he'd use a .22 or .17 HMR)

Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,360,776 times
Quote:
In the olden days, churches and neighbors took care of the disabled and people who were temporarily down on their luck, and they did it
Have you read the book, Grapes of Wrath? Those people were starving, and the churches may or may not have tried to feed them. I feel like there are not enough churches to take care of the poor or that there are too many poor in some of the churches or that people just don't give much. Even now in the city of Tahlequah some churches give food, but the CARE Food Pantry runs out of food. The biggest places that help provide food are Reasor's grocery store, and then some pizza places. And one of the largest stores here that has a lot of money to give, give nothing, not even to its employers. Sure the churches help but they don't have enough money to help. I am grateful for the welfare program that is helping these people, but I thought now that in order to get it you have to work. If and when people are no longer able to hire illegals, then maybe they will have more work for those on welfare and get them off. But I heard of one nursery that said it will not hire anyone now that they have lost their workers because they don't want to pay the higher wages. What we need is programs that work, not programs that just give things away to people without asking them to work.

I agree that people need to be paid more, but welfare doesn't pay much, and yet some people must be satisfied with that small amount since they don't want to work. Still, I thought the program said that they can't be on it long and have to be looking for work. I think they should give them the jobs and say, Here! Some people are just not hireable either. What to do with them? I know of a woman that said that she worked in a program, help run it, where they were teaching welfare people to be nurses. These people were dangerously horrible, and so they couldn't keep their job, but then they made the VA hire them. They steal drugs, etc. They are horrible to the patients, etc. So they get welfare and do crime.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 02-11-2008 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
But I heard of one nursery that said it will not hire anyone now that they have lost their workers because they don't want to pay the higher wages.
What a pathetic business. I hope they run themselves right out of business.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
the churches may or may not have tried to feed them. I feel like there are not enough churches to take care of the poor or that there are too many poor in some of the churches or that people just don't give much.
Back in the olden days a LOT more people went to church and there were more churches. Now the government has taken over with their version of charity and the way things are going, church will be outlawed soon.

The difference is that charity should be VOLUNTARY,
not forced under the threat of fine or imprisonment.

Quote:
where they were teaching welfare people to be nurses. These people were dangerously horrible, and so they couldn't keep their job, but then they made the VA hire them. They steal drugs, etc. They are horrible to the patients, etc. So they get welfare and do crime.
That's insane!!!!!!!!

I think there are less demanding or dangerous jobs that would have been a bit more appropriate. What moron came up with that idea???

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM

657 posts, read 1,601,064 times
Quote:

The difference is that charity should be VOLUNTARY,
not forced under the threat of fine or imprisonment.

wouldn't forced charity be known as tax?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,331,171 times
Quote:
Have you read the book, Grapes of Wrath? Those people were starving, and the churches may or may not have tried to feed them. I feel like there are not enough churches to take care of the poor or that there are too many poor in some of the churches or that people just don't give much. Even now in the city of Tahlequah some churches give food, but the CARE Food Pantry runs out of food. The biggest places that help provide food are Reasor's grocery store, and then some pizza places. And one of the largest stores here that has a lot of money to give, give nothing, not even to its employers. Sure the churches help but they don't have enough money to help. I am grateful for the welfare program that is helping these people, but I thought now that in order to get it you have to work. If and when people are no longer able to hire illegals, then maybe they will have more work for those on welfare and get them off. But I heard of one nursery that said it will not hire anyone now that they have lost their workers because they don't want to pay the higher wages. What we need is programs that work, not programs that just give things away to people without asking them to work.

I agree that people need to be paid more, but welfare doesn't pay much, and yet some people must be satisfied with that small amount since they don't want to work. Still, I thought the program said that they can't be on it long and have to be looking for work. I think they should give them the jobs and say, Here! Some people are just not hireable either. What to do with them? I know of a woman that said that she worked in a program, help run it, where they were teaching welfare people to be nurses. These people were dangerously horrible, and so they couldn't keep their job, but then they made the VA hire them. They steal drugs, etc. They are horrible to the patients, etc. So they get welfare and do crime.
I don't know how the Food Bank here is set up, I think it's basically a non-profit that relies on local churches to operate each one separately. The one closest to me has some very unpleasant staffers. One old guy is deaf as a post so he talks VERY LOUDLY and is very vocal in his criticism of all who go there. There is one man with several children, who gets a housing subsidy and food stamps and uses the Food Bank. The old man is highly critical of him, says he's just too cheap to go to an eye doctor and pay for new glasses. New glasses wouldn't do any good at all - the man has severe macular degeneration and he's all but blind. There is another older couple who used to go there sporadically, both have diabetes and are in wheelchairs - his comments to them were 'You guys are fat enough, you don't need any more food.' The 'fresh produce' is stuff that is pulled from local grocery stores that is too bruised to sell and half-rotten. Some of the packaged things are so outdated, they can't be sold - but hey, they're ok for someone who's really hungry, and can tolerate the staff's comments. Then there are the people who show up with a gaggle of kids, another one on the way, and a late model car to take their things home in. But they apparently belong to the right church, so they get special treatment, with no criticism at all. I went a few times, but when I came home with a box of crackers that was so old and rancid even the dog wouldn't touch them, and I heard some of the comments about the clients, I decided we'd be better off just eating beans and rice. At least no on at the grocery store harassed me for buying them.

At the beginning, the first time I applied for benefits, I was told I was capable of working, I was able-bodied enough to babysit! I said 'Fine, you find someone willing to have me babysit their child, knowing that I am a smoker and DH has a marginally communicable terminal disease.' No comment, just repeated 'You can work. Your current doc says you just need new glasses.' Baloney. I finally went to a real ophthalmologist who documented me as legally blind and absolutely unable to drive, who also verified that new glasses would be worse than useless, and finally I got social security. But it was an uphill fight all the way.

There are also some very odd [being nice, here] people who are being trained to do some things they really shouldn't be doing. One of those I find most appalling is the current idea to train recovering addicts to be personal care attendants for disabled/elderly people. Just because they are recovering doesn't mean they aren't still addicts, it just means they aren't using - so why on earth put them into a situation where they have access to a relative pharmacy of prescription drugs? I know of several here, only one of which has actually worked out well. I have a friend in Anchorage who has gone through several, all either incompetent or outright thieves. The one she has now is a lazy slob who won't do anything unless she's told exactly what and how to do it - as in, wash the pot. Wash the outside of the pot, too, not just the inside! I asked my friend why she didn't get rid of that one too, and she said that woman was the best of the lot so far. And they are being paid very good wages for what they [don't] do.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I don't know how the Food Bank here is set up, I think it's basically a non-profit that relies on local churches to operate each one separately. The one closest to me has some very unpleasant staffers. One old guy is deaf as a post so he talks VERY LOUDLY and is very vocal in his criticism of all who go there. There is one man with several children, who gets a housing subsidy and food stamps and uses the Food Bank. The old man is highly critical of him, says he's just too cheap to go to an eye doctor and pay for new glasses. New glasses wouldn't do any good at all - the man has severe macular degeneration and he's all but blind. There is another older couple who used to go there sporadically, both have diabetes and are in wheelchairs - his comments to them were 'You guys are fat enough, you don't need any more food.' The 'fresh produce' is stuff that is pulled from local grocery stores that is too bruised to sell and half-rotten. Some of the packaged things are so outdated, they can't be sold - but hey, they're ok for someone who's really hungry, and can tolerate the staff's comments. Then there are the people who show up with a gaggle of kids, another one on the way, and a late model car to take their things home in. But they apparently belong to the right church, so they get special treatment, with no criticism at all. I went a few times, but when I came home with a box of crackers that was so old and rancid even the dog wouldn't touch them, and I heard some of the comments about the clients, I decided we'd be better off just eating beans and rice. At least no on at the grocery store harassed me for buying them.

At the beginning, the first time I applied for benefits, I was told I was capable of working, I was able-bodied enough to babysit! I said 'Fine, you find someone willing to have me babysit their child, knowing that I am a smoker and DH has a marginally communicable terminal disease.' No comment, just repeated 'You can work. Your current doc says you just need new glasses.' Baloney. I finally went to a real ophthalmologist who documented me as legally blind and absolutely unable to drive, who also verified that new glasses would be worse than useless, and finally I got social security. But it was an uphill fight all the way.

There are also some very odd [being nice, here] people who are being trained to do some things they really shouldn't be doing. One of those I find most appalling is the current idea to train recovering addicts to be personal care attendants for disabled/elderly people. Just because they are recovering doesn't mean they aren't still addicts, it just means they aren't using - so why on earth put them into a situation where they have access to a relative pharmacy of prescription drugs? I know of several here, only one of which has actually worked out well. I have a friend in Anchorage who has gone through several, all either incompetent or outright thieves. The one she has now is a lazy slob who won't do anything unless she's told exactly what and how to do it - as in, wash the pot. Wash the outside of the pot, too, not just the inside! I asked my friend why she didn't get rid of that one too, and she said that woman was the best of the lot so far. And they are being paid very good wages for what they [don't] do.
Goodness, things in Washington are worse than I thought. What is this country coming to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma