Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times

Advertisements

We seem to be posting bits and pieces across different threads, maybe we can bring each other updates here? (I can't keep up )

Currently Duncan is:
32°F
Cloudy
Wind: NE at 5 mph
Humidity: 100%

Not SO bad compared to you up north.

Power is still on for most of the town, but I heard that Chickasha is having some outages.

I'm on PSO and seem to do better than some of my neighbors who are on City Power. (I always feel kinda guilty when my lights are on and everyone else is in the dark! )

Haven't heard anything *major* come across the scanner this a.m. ... just a few fender benders.

One of the signals was out near downtown, so they put up a 4-way stop sign... Heard that one of the Garbage Trucks had slid on the ice and got the stop sign stuck UNDER his truck! They reported that they would be taking the sign to repair it and would drop it off at the City Yard later today.

So far, So good.

How are you all???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
So far we are OK here in Hughes County. The schools are even open around here.

My daughter in Norman has no power. Her house is really cold. I am watching to see if there is anywhere she can go without having to drive far. She told me the trees have so many broken branches. I am a little worried about her.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Current temp is 29 degrees ~ 85% humidity....

OKC is really bad. The national news is here covering the ice and apparently 11 deaths so far ~ all in car accidents. People driving when they shouldn't be....

The major freeways are passable ~ it's the neighborhood and side street and parking lots. They are a solid sheet of ice ~ skating is the preferred method of travel right now :-)

Schools are closed; Colleges closed. Businesses closed. Even some of the Baptist / Integris Clinics are closed. Best to stay in and stay warm today.....

Last edited by Sooner_Nation_60; 12-10-2007 at 11:02 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 11:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Peggy, I would be worried too! Thoughts and prayers coming your way. I hope her power comes back on soon! Dad is outside of town so he stocked up on firewood and gassed up his generator 'just in case'.
Luckily we have Natural Gas for heat, so we stay warm even if we are in the dark.

Sooner_Nation_60, We're staying in for sure. Hub (luckily?) has the Flu so he is here too. (one less on my worry list )

Take Care All!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Here is some video.

NewsOK Mobile (http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/?bctid=1338935234&bclid=1111621425 - broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 11:48 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
So far we are OK here in Hughes County. The schools are even open around here.

My daughter in Norman has no power. Her house is really cold. I am watching to see if there is anywhere she can go without having to drive far. She told me the trees have so many broken branches. I am a little worried about her.
Peggy-I hope your daughter is OK. We have had power go on and off. Its horrible because I am sure more people will suffer or die because of this. It is really really bad around here. All the old trees are slaughtered. It would make you cry.

I bought a propane tank with a heater attachment to keep warm. Tell her she can find them at Lowes or Home Depot...The employees were great and very helpful and showed me how to attach it/use it so it wont have problems ect. It is horrible and hopefully everything will clear up in the next day or so. A massive clean up of all those poor wonderful trees will take months. You can literally see the limbs cracking and falling apart.

Signing off.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
We still have power here in Tahlequah and no ice. I have my APC, which makes me happy. We have a generator if needed.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
My daughter found a classmate in a part of Norman that still had power. He said, come on over but bring food. That is a relief. She cooks for her friends a lot so she has a full pantry. They can study together for their final tomorrow. We were just about ready to try to drive to Norman to get her. She said if the electricity comes on at 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday, the Law School will still have finals.

I hate what is happening to the trees. My area had a horrible ice storm in December of 2000, and you can still see the damage in the forested areas. All those beautiful trees will look like they have been bombed.

Everyone stay home and stay warm!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
The power went out as I was leaving the prison today. I got stuck on the inside. But at least it was only temporary. I think the idea of a propane heater is a good idea.

When we lose power, ours stays out the longest, because OG&E's logic is there only a few homes on this rural road, so they get our power turned on last.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,152 times
I've lived in NW Washington state for over two years. Last weekend we had heavy snow and rain and there were lots of floods. That's too bad, but I haven't learned to love Washington yet.

I lived in Oklahoma for 60 years. I do love Oklahoma and I hate what you're going through. We've been there - - ice is no fun. All of you stay safe and warm and make sure your friends and pets are OK, too. Hugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma