Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I would actually compare Brady District to a slightly larger and slightly more polished version of the 16th Street Plaza District in OKC. Both areas are a bit more "artsy" and locally sources.

But yeah, Bricktown, despite everyone's opinions, is in a class all itself. As someone who kind of soured on it a few years ago, the area seems to be catching a bit of new wind. I am actually really impressed by all the developments in the pipeline.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who likes Bricktown. Bricktown is so popular that no one goes there any more...LOL

Yeah, I get it that it has a lot of chain places but I very well remember what that area looked like when the only place there was Spaghetti Warehouse. IMO I think Bricktown is what got OKC rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,072 times
People slam Bricktown all the time for its chain restaurants that the forget about The Mantel, Nonna's, Captian Norm's, Bricktown Brewery... yeah, Bricktown is definitely a local establishment desert.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
People slam Bricktown all the time for its chain restaurants that the forget about The Mantel, Nonna's, Captian Norm's, Bricktown Brewery... yeah, Bricktown is definitely a local establishment desert.
I was there a few months ago and a wednesday afternoon, I couldn't hardly find a place to park.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,072 times
My siblings pointed to me that Bricktown is getting busier during what used to be off-peak days during the week. It used to be a Thursday-Saturday type of district. That is changing.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm no huge fan or promoter of either OKC or Tulsa, so I don't care much about this debate, but I have to laugh at the person who said Cain's is overrated and people would only go once a year. Learn some music history, son! I went there several times per year when I lived an hour away from Tulsa, and that was back before they booked as many great acts as they do now.
This will be my last comment on this thread

1. the people that go to the Cain's Ballroom go 12 to 24 times a year
2.The Tulsa River Parks Gathering will be a Park that people from NYC and LA and San Francisco
and Chicago will look up to as a classy piece of work
3.We Human Being choose our's favorite cities from ((( feeling from our's gut ))) it's totally subjective
4. People promoting OKC aren't saying ........World Class......when they talk about what OKC has to offer.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
I don't think I have read a single mention of Tulsa's Cherry Street District, or the nightclubs that branch off of it - in addition to the Blue Dome and the Brady. Cherry Street has some OUTSTANDING fare, on both the chain scale, and on the locals and upscale. I LOVE Kilkenny's for pure Irish pub roots and decor, and genuine Irish fare. That's just one of many examples.

Not enough mentions of all of the food, nightlife, and live music up and down Brookside, either.

BOTH cities have one of the most handy and easily navigable highway systems in this part of the country - really, in ANY part of the country. Same with the street systems and layout.

Tulsa misses Bell's a lot. Even the Fairgrounds took a huge hit with that loss. If someone ever gets the notion to bring back a similar amusement park and family theme, and puts it near any of the revitalized areas, it would do CRAZY business - just for the nostalgic crowd alone. Tulsans also lost a small piece of their history with the closing of Crystal's and Casa Bonita, but it's already been proven that those business models just are no longer cost-effective. Still brings back lots of memories, regardless.

Oklahoma City is a bit more integrated than is Tulsa, regardless of by race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. Tulsa has simply experienced very little variegated social exposure, and it shows in the social scenes. That, however, appears to be quickly changing among the many ... how shall I put it ... Hipster ? ... establishments that have popped up all around the downtown area. The Greenwood, Brady, and Blue Dome are all within walking distance - really all right next to each other - and they are sharing patrons more and more.

However, THE K-12 SCHOOLS. Both cities have SO FAR to go in that area. The vast majority of the state has so far to go there... I notice a huge propensity to spend on athletic facilities rather than on better teacher pay / draw. If Oklahoma, including Tulsa AND OKC want to rise above the laughingstick of being #46 or close in quality every year, they have to pay their teachers well, and they have to bring in more of them, both for good classroom ratios, and to push the low standards up that already pervade many of the classrooms. Please, teachers, take no offense. I'm on your side, and realize that solid standards are next to impossible without solid funding.

Job availability is great in BOTH areas. I could not be more proud of Tulsa's work in continuing to establish the daily worksource program. If anyone doesn't work in Tulsa, they aren't looking in the right places. The several temp agencies in Tulsa and surrounding area are outstanding, and can place in pretty well-paying jobs. I imagine OKC offers very similar. Oklahoma's unemployment rate is phenomenally low.

I don't know why Tulsans would want to dog OKC or vice-versa. OKC seems to experience a lot more flow - people moving in, and people moving out. But there are some really nice areas around OKC to live and work - self-contained areas that one need not go more than 5 miles for wnything they need. Tulsa has fewer areas like that.

I can say this with a bit of certainty - I meet all kinds of people "From" Tulsa... but I meet very, very few people "From" OKC. I meet plenty who "have lived" in OKC, but few who claim it as their roots. That's no fault on OKC, nor does it detract from any quality of life there. San Diego, Colorado Springs, Jacksonville, and other cities with a large military base tend to experience the same search for identity.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBTmike View Post
Tulsa misses Bell's a lot. Even the Fairgrounds took a huge hit with that loss. If someone ever gets the notion to bring back a similar amusement park and family theme, and puts it near any of the revitalized areas, it would do CRAZY business - just for the nostalgic crowd alone.
Bell's is trying to come back. They are setting up a few rides at some flea market in West Tulsa and are trying to raise funds for more.
Let's help bring Bell's back!! | Indiegogo

Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 58,831 times
Thank you everyone that offered insight! I put my application in last week so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping to hear back in the next couple weeks. Again thank you!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Tulsa is an educated, white collar city while Oklahoma City tends to be a blue collar city.
Both Tulsa and Oklahoma City have very similar educational attainment levels.
For persons over the age of 25: Source- Census Bureau

Tulsa County: High School Graduate or Higher: (88.2%)
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: (29.2%)

Oklahoma County: High School Graduate or Higher (85.8%)
Bachelor's Degree or Higher: (29.1%)

Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM

108 posts, read 543,061 times
I think the Tulsa skyline is much prettier even though OKC has a taller building both have a lot to offer. The BOK center has proven to be a better event center than OKC.

Tulsa downtown at night looks awesome it has so many lights on. The downtown building have a lot of decorative lights on them sure makes my pictures look a lot nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma