Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,664 times

Advertisements

We are a mixed couple White male, Black female and we have a 13 year old ( from wife's previous marriage). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Enid is a decent place to raise a family, might be moving to the area for a job after getting out of the Navy, and want to have a safe non threatening environment for our daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Don't know a lot about it, but Enid is one of the best of the bigger small towns in Oklahoma. It's good it hasn't been slowly losing population in recent years, unlike a lot of Oklahoma towns.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM

58 posts, read 95,690 times
Not a bad place to grow up. There really isn't much to do as a kid in Enid though. I do recommend one of the smaller schools outside of town though. It is only about an hour and fifteen minutes from OKC.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
Smile re Looking at Enid, Ok

Check the following for lots of great information on Enid (my home town):

https://www.facebook.com/enidbuzz
Enid OK Buzz | Business News, Restaurants & Photos of Enid, Oklahoma

We have an Air Force Base so there are quite a few military here also.
Hope you like us

Good luck
Ann Tucker

Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM

56 posts, read 112,981 times
I recommend Midwest City or NW OKC; you'll fit right in...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post
I recommend Midwest City or NW OKC; you'll fit right in...
Who wants to drive back and forth to work over two hours round trip everyday?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 25,256 times
I just moved here to Enid, and I am pretty impressed so far. I have 4 kids (2 are teens), and they all seem to be adjusting well. The elementary school my son attends is a national blue ribbon school and he LOVES it, and my daughter reports that the middle school is fairly diverse & pleasant. Everyone I have encountered thus far has been kind, and I was actually pretty surprised to find so much for the kids to do here (lots of sports options, splash park, regular parks, different activities to sign up for). We came from Memphis so I was expecting to see tumbleweed and stuff ..like it a lot so far

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Then why do so many people think the schools in Enid are so bad they don't want their kids there? Anyway, I suspect Enid is one of the most under rated and under appreciated towns in Oklahoma.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grneyedgirl View Post
I just moved here to Enid, and I am pretty impressed so far. I have 4 kids (2 are teens), and they all seem to be adjusting well. The elementary school my son attends is a national blue ribbon school and he LOVES it, and my daughter reports that the middle school is fairly diverse & pleasant. Everyone I have encountered thus far has been kind, and I was actually pretty surprised to find so much for the kids to do here (lots of sports options, splash park, regular parks, different activities to sign up for). We came from Memphis so I was expecting to see tumbleweed and stuff ..like it a lot so far

I disagree. My equivalents in Wichita Falls moved from Enid to Wichita Falls citing their outright discontent with the educational choices available in Enid OK as the primary reason for moving. Employment choices for the spouses was a close second. Ammenities was a trailing third. I only lived in Enid for one year, but I can attest to their second complaint; my ex-girlfriend at the time left me after 6 months of living with me there, citing occupational frustration and discontent.

So, When contemplating my own options these days for moving to Enid as one of the locations that holds jobs in my military specialty, we've decided that if I do end up taking a position in Enid we're living in NW OKC, and I'm commuting.

I will give you this. Enid schools are probably better than the schools in the Texas/Mexico border. But that's not saying much.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who wants to drive back and forth to work over two hours round trip everyday?
I'd gladly do it. My family's vocational and educational prosperity is worth more than driving convenience. Furthermore, not everybody holds a semi-rural upbringing as an ideal, or even a desirable condition. Many locations where economic activity is found are not desirable places to raise a family. The concept of geographic bachelorship dates back to the Western US expansion. Present forms of it are found in the military and oil/energy industry. Just because there's livable wage jobs in Enid doesn't mean it's a desirable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma