Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,999,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Patricia M. Spottedcrow, 26, received a 12-year prison sentence last October for selling a total of $31 in marijuana to a police informant in December 2009 and January 2010. Her mother, Delita Starr, 51, was also charged.

In blind guilty pleas before a judge, Spottedcrow received prison time, and her mother received a 30-year suspended sentence. Neither had prior criminal convictions.

Oklahoma City attorney Josh Welch said he has requested Spottedcrow be present to speak directly to the judge.

“Patricia wants to let the judge know what she has learned and been through,” Welch said. “She wants him to know she’s remorseful, accepts responsibility and it will not happen again. She doesn’t want a free pass or makes excuses for her conduct.

“With all things said, we disagree with the 12-year sentence, with it being excessive for this case.”
Freedom is Green
Quote:
In potentially better news, Patricia has a hearing for a sentence modification set for Oct. 6, 2011. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed.
What a beautiful young woman..........
[url=http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=487&articleid=20110322_11_A 1_CUTLIN198513]Link[/url]

Last edited by Goodpasture; 08-30-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times
Unfortunately, we see this a lot in OK DOC.

I have seen a person get 40 years for selling $40 worth of crack cocaine. Equally absurd is 20 years for Possession of CDS-Marijuana (they scraped the pipe) and 10 years for the pipe (Drug Paraphernalia).

Not a typo, either zig zags or a pipe can bring a 10 year sentence with the sentence enhanced from "after former's".

None of the lawmakers wants to address it because they are too concerned with not being tough on crime. Votes is what they worship, not fiscal responsibility.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,999,553 times
redbird, won't the tribe try and help? I am certain that if her mom is a Starr she is at least part Cherokee.......

Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
redbird, won't the tribe try and help? I am certain that if her mom is a Starr she is at least part Cherokee.......
Goodpasture, have you been following her ordeal since this broke news in the TW?

I haven't followed all of it, but I believe after the story, an attorney stepped forward for her on a pro bono (sp?) basis.

There have also been some NDNs working 'grassroots' activism for her. They had a gathering at the state capital earlier this month.

I hope they reduce her sentence because 12 years is ridiculous. That's the way things go unless one has the big bucks to fight the charges with top notch attorneys.

If she weren't in Oklahoma she probably would have gotten treatment, some jail or prison time and counseling. Oklahoma is very, very backward with some things. OK is especially backward when it comes to women and crime. With these drug sentences it's like they will choke on a gnat trying to swallow an elephant. We do NOT have the money to imprison people over these small drug crimes.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,518,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Beautiful young lady. I hope she gets her sentence reduced. 12 years for $30 worth of pot is just plain wrong.

What's sad is that some of the worst offenders, such as pedophiles, get a slap on the wrist and are released right back into society where they re-offend and hurt more children.

It's better for me to not think about our legal system because it just gets me fightin' mad!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Unfortunately, we see this a lot in OK DOC.

I have seen a person get 40 years for selling $40 worth of crack cocaine. Equally absurd is 20 years for Possession of CDS-Marijuana (they scraped the pipe) and 10 years for the pipe (Drug Paraphernalia).

Not a typo, either zig zags or a pipe can bring a 10 year sentence with the sentence enhanced from "after former's".

None of the lawmakers wants to address it because they are too concerned with not being tough on crime. Votes is what they worship, not fiscal responsibility.
Didn't these people already have a felony or two on their record before they got in trouble over drugs that did land them in prison? Did Spottedcrow already have a felony before being charged over pot?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 PM

180 posts, read 669,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Beautiful young lady. I hope she gets her sentence reduced. 12 years for $30 worth of pot is just plain wrong.

What's sad is that some of the worst offenders, such as pedophiles, get a slap on the wrist and are released right back into society where they re-offend and hurt more children.

It's better for me to not think about our legal system because it just gets me fightin' mad!

The general vibe seems to be "she's too pretty to be in prison". Would anyone care if the girl looked like the female on the right?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
The general vibe seems to be "she's too pretty to be in prison". Would anyone care if the girl looked like the female on the right?
I agree...what does her looks have to do with anything? Would 12 years have been just fine if she was ugly?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,518,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
Hey, I think you're reading into it a tad too much. I was merely giving her a compliment.

Injustice is injustice regardless of race, sex, socioeconomic status, beautiful, ugly, Sooner/Cowboy fan (although I'll have to think about the Longhorns and Aggies).....you get the picture.

Shoot, RB, GP, and I are ugly as all get out and we're loved!

Plus, just cause a woman is a tad hefty don't take any skin off my back.......just ask my wife! *gulp*

Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Goodpasture, have you been following her ordeal since this broke news in the TW?

I haven't followed all of it, but I believe after the story, an attorney stepped forward for her on a pro bono (sp?) basis.

There have also been some NDNs working 'grassroots' activism for her. They had a gathering at the state capital earlier this month.

I hope they reduce her sentence because 12 years is ridiculous. That's the way things go unless one has the big bucks to fight the charges with top notch attorneys.

If she weren't in Oklahoma she probably would have gotten treatment, some jail or prison time and counseling. Oklahoma is very, very backward with some things. OK is especially backward when it comes to women and crime. With these drug sentences it's like they will choke on a gnat trying to swallow an elephant. We do NOT have the money to imprison people over these small drug crimes.
Oklahoma marijuana laws are beyond insane. If you have more than one joint on you, you can have the additional charge tacked on of with intent to distribute and that carries up to life in prison. Sometimes life sentences are actually given out. A parlalegic got life, later reduced to 10, because he was found with marijuana while in his wheel chair. http://www.alternet.org/drugs/150935...t/?page=entire

To compare other Oklahoma laws, it really gets morally sick to consider that if someone in Oklahoma molests a child aged 12 to 16, then the prison time is only ZERO to 5 years.

With marijuana laws the backward way they are in Oklahoma, we might as well be living in the Dark Ages and burning witches at the stake in front of courthouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma