Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM

49 posts, read 106,555 times

Advertisements

Is that a mistake?
I'm 21, female and want a cheap place to live that is nice. I've read threads on here about other people who have moved or want to and its nothing but positive talk about OKC. How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM

130 posts, read 579,590 times
I come from Dallas and go to college in OKC area. I LIKE Oklahoma overall. I especially like Edmond a suburb north of OKC. The biggest problem for someone from the mild cool weather of Seattle is going to be OKC's extreme weather. It is very hot in the summer (110 sometimes, 100 regularly) and sometimes (like this winter) bitterly cold in the winter. It got to around -20 one night. Also, the state has some beautiful places but your average spot in Oklahoma is lacking scenery. Finally, OKC lacks the shopping available in a city like Seattle. There isn't a Whole Foods in the entire state of Oklahoma for example, wheras there are two different ones minutes from my house in Texas.

OKC is on the rise though (because people such as yourself are moving there) and it is getting more sophisticated every year. There is tons of land and good priced houses. People tend to be friendly and Oklahoma has a unique culture and history, unlike some states. I particularly like the prarie/great plains that Oklahoma City is located in think it is nice.

Those are just some thoughts. I personally need cool weather and plan on heading to the west coast to avoid the heat. Many people don't mind the heat though. It is person to person. If it weren't for that, I would have a much harder time deciding to move because OKC is actually not bad at all. Good for you at 21 choosing your destiny and doing so while you are not tied down. I am doing the same at 22.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
Is that a mistake?
I'm 21, female and want a cheap place to live that is nice. I've read threads on here about other people who have moved or want to and its nothing but positive talk about OKC. How do you like it?
Talk about a change!!!!! If you like flat, brown grass, and backassward politicians then you'll love the change.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM

I live in a suburb of Seattle and hardly ever go to Whole Foods or other special stores. Actually I must moved out of a very small town 90 minutes from Seattle where I lived for 4.5 years.

Tulsa has a Whole Foods

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the weather or the scenery. Reasons I'm moving are
1. low cost of living
2. 105degrees (cooking school, and cafe, would like to work there)

If someone can think of a better place to live with low cost living than I would love to hear it.

Really, I can't stay in WA, I hate the cold, rainy, humid weather, and its soooo expensive to live here.

I would like to live in AZ, but it gets pretty hot, and I'm not so sure about the cost of living part.

Thanks

Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 18 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,932,452 times
Texas seems like a much better option than Oklahoma because it has a low cost of living like Oklahoma, but higher wages and lower unemployment, and Texas to me seems like a much more progressive, cooler, interesting, and exciting state than Oklahoma.

Texas also has a lower tornado risk.
I heard Oklahoma City metro is the most vulnerable city metro in the USA for tornadoes and one of the most vulnerable in the world. It seems to get directly hit by many tornadoes in its recorded history, at least once a year.

Texas also gets even warmer weather than Oklahoma and less vulnerable to extremes and cold weather than Oklahoma.

Oklahoma can get extreme cold spells in parts of its winter than is colder than Seattle ever gets. For example Early February Oklahoma had temperatures up to 20 degrees below zero farenheight, with heavy snow and blizzard. But just a week later, areas of Oklahoma literally got 90 degrees warmer and was in the 70s for highs.
Such extreme weather in Oklahoma to go from 20 below zero to 75 degrees in one week!

Quote:
Is that a mistake?

Last edited by ; 04-17-2011 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Quote:
I live in a suburb of Seattle and hardly ever go to Whole Foods or other special stores. Actually I must moved out of a very small town 90 minutes from Seattle where I lived for 4.5 years.

Tulsa has a Whole Foods

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the weather or the scenery. Reasons I'm moving are
1. low cost of living
2. 105degrees (cooking school, and cafe, would like to work there)

If someone can think of a better place to live with low cost living than I would love to hear it.

Really, I can't stay in WA, I hate the cold, rainy, humid weather, and its soooo expensive to live here.

I would like to live in AZ, but it gets pretty hot, and I'm not so sure about the cost of living part.

Thanks
Oklahoma does have cheaper rent and home prices. The scenery is better in the Tulsa area, IMO. Will you be going to school in OKC? Lots of people love OKC.

You mentioned cooking school. If you are not already enrolled in one, Oklahoma State University Technology Center has a Chef program. It's located in Okmulgee. The cost of living would be very cheap in Okmulgee, and it's not a bad town. It's about 40 miles south of Tulsa, so it's a fairly convenient place to live.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,256,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb0 View Post
There isn't a Whole Foods in the entire state of Oklahoma for example, wheras there are two different ones minutes from my house in Texas.
Tulsa has had a Whole Foods for years, it used to be a Wild Oats before being merged with Whole Foods. The Tulsa location is being expanded for the third time. OKC is building a new Whole Foods somewhere near Nichols Hills.

That being said you may look at Tulsa. It has more terrain and water than the OKC area. Tulsa sits in an area called Green Country. It is just on the edge of the Ozarks.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM

So I've been looking through the Texas forum and I have to say it doesn't sound appealing. Crime, low pay, crime, oh yeah, and more crime.
can suggest a low crime area to live in Texas?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM

689 posts, read 2,060,045 times
Quote:

We moved from Oklahoma City to western Washington in 2005. Silverdale first, then Port Ludlow, on the Olympic Peninsula. We've been trying to sell our house and move back home, but no luck yet. We, too, hate the cold rainy weather. But Honey, it is not humid in western Washington. It's damp a lot of the time, but you haven't known humidity if you haven't lived in the south. It's hot and it's humid, but you just wear lighter clothes, have a wardrobe of sweat bands and thank goodness for air conditioning. I can't wait to get back!! Good luck with your move.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM

The humidity doesn't bother me so much, I've been to hawaii and florida on many occasions and I could live there. yeah, I don't like to sweat though, but I prefer heat instead of cold. I might have to get botox in my sweat glands, lol.

I lived in Port Townsend, not far from Silverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma