Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was staying outside the Ford center in downtown OkC on Wednesday and Thursday nights; the Blazer's Hockey team were playing as well as the renowned NBA Hornets. From my vantage point on the fifth floor of the bricktown marriott, the area seems to have a great view for for things going on downtown. The whole Bricktown area in OkC is a testament to the will and devotion of the people of OkC to make something out of an area that was once on the downswing.

Prior to this, the area was underdeveloped and to be honest- decaying; what the OkC has done with the area is nothing short of monumental. Although these pictures don't do the area any justic whatsoever, they do symbolize, in a small way what has gone on in downtown OkC over the last few years, which is phenomenal.

OkC has taken an entire section that would have otherwise been destined for the scrapyard and turned it into an entertainment district that is the envy on many cities everywhere. Kudos to the OkC metro development authority and MAPS for making this a reality. The whole Bricktown area of OkC is a reinassance of sorts; one that is long overdue for the the largest city in the state of Okahoma and the Capital City. Okc is a great place, with MANY greater things to come in the future. I'm rooting for you OkC!! You HAVE to visit OkC and the surrounding areas to believe what is going on! (Okc Memorial, bricktown, the river development, art museums, urban lofts, mid-town, etc.) Shad, you're right; it's a GREAT place! And by the way, these pics do not do the area any justice whatsoever, it's a clean, crime-free area that is safe for families and kids that exemplifies the heart and soul of OkC and represents OkC very well! The Ford Center is also much more beautiful than the crappy pictures that I was able to post.

Last edited by Synopsis; 04-07-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 PM

77 posts, read 524,040 times
Im glad you had a good time synopsis! I bet it was probably one of the weirdest games in the NBA for some time. Because the sonics in town...
Unfortunately the weather was a bit cool. Hope you got to meander around myriad gardens- My grandmother worked in the first national building as secretary for 30yrs. She would take me down to the myriad gardens when it looked new/unsettled/no growth! But has grown over the past 30 yrs to become quite beautiful- as you might know OKC lost 50 historic buildings during the 70's downtown renewal. Including one of the tallest buidings to be razed- Biltmore hotel now the sight of myriad gardens. She was always very upset/those buidings were apart of her life when downtown was- downtown. Anyway- times have changed and OKC is having to remake itself. The pics were cool outside your hotel. I have some pics i will try to post as well that are nice. OKC and Tulsa have future master plans that are both stunning, I will try to post those also. OKC is getting a facelift when they move the elevated highway south. The designs break up into two downtowns- S/N of Canadian river. With parks extending to a boulevard. Tulsa has a plan that looks futuristic/ tall condos/small city on a platform- so the river can pass slower. Both towns are looking great-considering how young OK is - we are way ahead of many states!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,898 times
need 2 tickets to concert at Centennial on Nov 16... please my husband and i have never seen any of these artists and it would be our honeymoon reward...besides each
other....

Last edited by sugarlandexpress; 10-22-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: I just wanted all to know this was our first to do this too

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Love the Bricktown area. And it's only going to get a lot better.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Love the Bricktown area. And it's only going to get a lot better.
Lots going on there. It's unbelievable how much that area has changed. It's an exciting time in OkC these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: