Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 29,451 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the general cost of living is for Mustang, Oklahoma. How much would be an average per person for shopping and such. Also what would the electricity bill for a 1200sqft all electricity apartment be? What are the gas prices?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:46 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsKitty View Post
I was wondering what the general cost of living is for Mustang, Oklahoma. How much would be an average per person for shopping and such. Also what would the electricity bill for a 1200sqft all electricity apartment be? What are the gas prices?

Thanks!
I live in Mustang, so I'll try to help you. "Average per person for shopping" is a nebulous question. What type of shopping are you talking about? Even if it's just groceries, that's almost impossible to come up with because my idea of an average grocery shopping trip may not be yours. I get a lot of my food from farmers markets and the OK Food co-op. I get my dairy products from Braums because they have an extensive dairy farm in Tuttle, so everything is fresh and home grown. If you're talking about clothing, etc. it would be hard also, because we're not mall people. I've been here for 5 months and I've been to the mall twice, and only because my teens wanted to check something out.

I have a 1500 square foot house that I use electricity for everything except heat, hot water and cooking. My electricity bill (with a pool filter running and central A/C) for the month of June was $229.49.

The 7-11 up the street from my house is selling gas today for $3.49 a gallon.

If you need further info, just ask.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

I guess what I meant about the shopping is what on average is the lowest weekly that could be spent on groceries. I'm just trying to get an idea of a budget for when I move to mustang.

Regarding electricity if we opened the windows and turned the fans on would it be cool enough or with the humidity would we NEED to have some A/C. We would like to keep the electricity under 150 a month. Would that be possible?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

62 posts, read 252,854 times
Quote:
I guess what I meant about the shopping is what on average is the lowest weekly that could be spent on groceries. I'm just trying to get an idea of a budget for when I move to mustang.

Regarding electricity if we opened the windows and turned the fans on would it be cool enough or with the humidity would we NEED to have some A/C. We would like to keep the electricity under 150 a month. Would that be possible?

Try OG&E's cost averaging plan. I have a property that is around the same size and the plan is only around $90.00 per month. My main house, which is about 3,000 square feet is about $200.00 a month.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:57 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,430 times
Quote:

As a previous poster said, if you take the "averaging" plan, you may be able to keep in under $150, because the lesser months would average out the higher months. For example, my electricity in April was $108 and $112 in May. I'm sure if I had the averaging plan, I would not have had a $245 bill for June. As far as A/C goes, it depends. I have friends in OK who run their A/C 24/7. We don't turn ours on until about 8:00 at night, and then we turn it off at 7:00 in the AM. We find that the ceiling fans do a good enough job, but everyone's tolerance is different. I find it a lot less humid here than in NJ, but it depends on where you're coming from.

As far as groceries go, it's hard to say because as I stated before, I don't do a "once a week major shopping" trip to the gocery store, but maybe somone else who does can clue you in on that one.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM

That would work out great if thats the electric plan the apartment has!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,678 times
We lived at The Links at Mustang Rd and SW 15th for a yr before building our new home. It was 900 sq ft and our elec. bill was usually btw $60-70/month. It got over $100 a few times in the summer/winter (all elec w/no gas).

Now in our new home which is 1200 sq ft & very energy efficient, it's the same price.
So that being said, if you're looking for less expensive utilities, it's best to search for a newer place with double paned windows, higher seer ac, and ceiling fans in every room. We keep our ac at 75 during the summer and with a ceiling fan running, it's always comfortable and sometimes cold. But an ac in the summer is a must have! For weeks it can be over 100 and doesn't cool down much at night. In the spring/fall however, you can easily go w/out ac.

The cheapest gas is usually at 7/11 but there's just a few near Mustang (sw 15th & Morgan, Council & 44th, and Hwy 152 & Clear Springs Rd). Walmart is also cheap too (hwy 152 & Sara Rd). We are gas snobs however and only buy the 100% at Shell. In general, it's 10cents more than 7/11.

I can't give a general cost of living idea per person but Mustang is a great area if you want to get away from the crowds and traffic that plague Edmond, N. Okc & Norman.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery'sMommy View Post
We lived at The Links at Mustang Rd and SW 15th for a yr before building our new home. It was 900 sq ft and our elec. bill was usually btw $60-70/month. It got over $100 a few times in the summer/winter (all elec w/no gas).

Now in our new home which is 1200 sq ft & very energy efficient, it's the same price.
So that being said, if you're looking for less expensive utilities, it's best to search for a newer place with double paned windows, higher seer ac, and ceiling fans in every room. We keep our ac at 75 during the summer and with a ceiling fan running, it's always comfortable and sometimes cold. But an ac in the summer is a must have! For weeks it can be over 100 and doesn't cool down much at night. In the spring/fall however, you can easily go w/out ac.

The cheapest gas is usually at 7/11 but there's just a few near Mustang (sw 15th & Morgan, Council & 44th, and Hwy 152 & Clear Springs Rd). Walmart is also cheap too (hwy 152 & Sara Rd). We are gas snobs however and only buy the 100% at Shell. In general, it's 10cents more than 7/11.

I can't give a general cost of living idea per person but Mustang is a great area if you want to get away from the crowds and traffic that plague Edmond, N. Okc & Norman.
Thanks so much. The Links is actually one we were really considering moving into! Its good to know how much the bills were.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM

259 posts, read 1,072,678 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. The Links is actually one we were really considering moving into! Its good to know how much the bills were.
I can highly recommend The Links- we had a good experience living there. It's worth it to pay the extra $20 or so a month for the golf course front apts. I loved looking out our windows to see trees and nature. And some pretty bad golfers, haha!
Also, it's nice that the pool, golf, tanning & gym are all included. I honestly never golfed or used the gym but that was just laziness and being a sahm, busy with my boys.
It's in a nice area- very safe & quiet. Convienent to 1-40, groceries and restaurants yet maintains a country, rural feel b/c it's surrounding by farm land.
Definitely the nicest apts (IMO) in the Mustang/Yukon area.
Finally, our water bill was ~ $25/month. Oh and they make you use (or did 1yr ago) Lindsey communications as your cable/Internet provider. That sucked b/c it was often slow but it wasn't too expensive so I can't complain.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,122 times
We are getting ready to move to Oklahoma this may from Okinawa jp. We have found a few homes in Mustang ok that we really like. we too are trying to find out what our c,o,l would be. We are looking at a 3000sqft home and wonder what bills we would have to add in, water, trash pick up, cable/Internet, and utilities. What is the average on these, am I missing any thing? Thanks for any help you can offer. As you can imagine it's kind of hard house hunting from the other side of the world:/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City