Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:23 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,439,388 times

Advertisements

I am from Oklahoma but not been to Edmund in 25 years. I am wanting to see neighborhoods where newer homes in the range of $700k to 1000k are located to see what those areas look like compared to some other options I am evaluating as places to move from Plano Texas. My wife and I are older retired adults and natives of SE Oklahoma and both OSU grads so we understand the good bad and ugly of Oklahoma. I understand Edmund is considered a top place to live in Oklahoma. So Im going to be in OKC and I will have time for an initial tour of Edmund. My ideal situation would be a 5 to 10 year old home of at least 4k sf. One story would be ideal and near good medical options, restaurants and groceries stores especially a Costco or Sams. Names of subdivisions with cross streets near them would be ideal.

Also if there are some notable shopping areas of Edmund, guide me to them as well.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:20 AM

Did a drive through of Edmund yesterday after a short memorial service in NW OKC. I was surprised by the hilly and wooded nature of much of the area. I was not sure which part of Edmund to see but ended up focusing on the SW end of it. I did not get all the way east to I35 so missed probably 80% plus of the area. Thanksgiving is in Norman so may take another trip up that way if my wife is up to making that trip, she was not up to joining me for this one

Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 PM

664 posts, read 2,098,217 times
Looks like Rose Creek (between Hwy 74 and May, and 164th and 178th) has a number of houses in your price range. It is a golf course as well if that interests you. some of the homes may be a bit older than you want and most are 2 story but it meets your other criteria. Sams, many restaurants, Mercy Hospital, OK Heart Hospital, a lot of shopping, all within a couple miles south of the neighborhood.

Mulholland (SE corner of 192nd and Penn) has a couple available as well and is only a few miles further north than Rose Creek.

Summit Parke (NW corner of 150th and Western) has some available as well and is only a couple miles east of the areas I mentioned above for Rose Creek.

Oak Tree (Sorghum Mill and Kelly) another golf course. Houses may be a bit older. On the north side of Edmond.

There are some restaurants and grocery stores scattered all over Edmond, but many are clustered around the Quail Springs mall area.

I would imagine that more of the homes in your price range are going to be 2 story.

Looking on Zillow there are 100+/- homes in your price range.
Not quite as many the further east you go.
There is a Mercy Hospital at I-35 and 15th st and there are a few homes near by close to Arcadia Lake, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Good luck and safe travels.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks, We will get a chance for a second look over thanksgiving with family in Norman.

We currently live in a 2 story home but 99% of our time is spent on the first floor. Downstairs is Kit, FR, DR, LR, Study and two bedrooms so even with a guest we dont really use the upstairs. Its 2 bedrooms and a GM and Media room none of which we really use. With family in Durant, Norman and Elk City we could be closer overall in OKC area, especially as my 95 year old mom is in Southern Ok. She acts like she could live forever but we know the odds speak central Ok is a better central spot in the long run than Plano.

Are all these areas you mentioned in the so called cross timbers area where bigger trees and hills dominate?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:41 AM

17,848 posts, read 13,771,917 times
If you want the (crosstimbers) hills and trees and subdivisions a good rule of thumb is to look east of Bryant from about 122nd on the south and traveling North the trees extend a little more westerly around Covell and go roughly over to HWY 74 (portland). The north end of Edmond is Waterloo Road. After that you are in Logan county (Guthrie) but a few of the subdivision are on that side of Waterloo.

That area of town is very much different than points west of this area. The southern part that is restricted by Bryant is because that is where Edmond proper (the older part) sits. The older part of Edmond kind of ends at Covell (houses that are older than say 1985) so the parts north of there are mixed in age depending on when the subdivisions were built. Oak Tree is out there but it is getting dated looking.

The SW part of Edmond is much flatter and,not in the woods, so to speak and has a more typical suburban feel than the parts in the Cross Timbers. The part in the cross timbers seems more rural because you can drive down the section line roads and have no idea there are a bunch of houses there. You can't see them because of the trees.

Edmond has grown and has traffic now but if you are from Plano you won't notice. What I like about Edmond compared to Plano is that Plano historically was just a non descript little farming town that morphed into a suburb and is now becoming high end elite with it's trappings. Edmond was a bigger town and a small college town historically besides being a farm town. It house some old fashioned college town charm in it's core that Plano doesn't have. The areas just west and south of campus are wonderful neighborhoods for that. And Edmond doesn't have the high end stuff that Plano has now and there will probably never be enough money in OKC for that to happen.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info and comparison to Plano. I remember going to Edmond when I was in high school for Boys state I think they called it. This was way back in 1965 or so.

I ran across a golfing community near this area, it is in OKC however. Its called Gallardia if I spelled it correctly. I recall when this was a new development but it looks a little dated now and like it has a lot of vacant lots within it and a high monthly HOA which makes sense for the gating I suppose. I looked at the crime stats and they indicated a high crime area but wondering if that is due to the proximity to the Turnpike and commercial areas rather than crime inside the walls?

I like the concept and see some smaller one story places in there that would fit our needs but the slow development leaving many vacant hots screams no to me. Anyone know anything about this community?

Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks for the info and comparison to Plano. I remember going to Edmond when I was in high school for Boys state I think they called it. This was way back in 1965 or so.

I ran across a golfing community near this area, it is in OKC however. Its called Gallardia if I spelled it correctly. I recall when this was a new development but it looks a little dated now and like it has a lot of vacant lots within it and a high monthly HOA which makes sense for the gating I suppose. I looked at the crime stats and they indicated a high crime area but wondering if that is due to the proximity to the Turnpike and commercial areas rather than crime inside the walls?

I like the concept and see some smaller one story places in there that would fit our needs but the slow development leaving many vacant hots screams no to me. Anyone know anything about this community?

Gallardia is one of the elite developments in OKC. Kind of took over for Nichols Hills as the who's who neighborhood a decade or so ago. I'd be shocked if there was that much crime in there, but I'd bet there isn't a house in there that is less than 4K square feet in there. But I will admit you don't hear about Gallardia as much as you used to.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info. The area looked very nice but the number of lots for sale worried me as most of the homes I saw were built in early last decades with little construction this decade. It looked like the classic golf course focused gated development that is less popular these days. It looked like the crime data was for a zip code so a much larger area then this development and being near a major road crime stats can soar for property crime more so than human hamr.

The smallest homes listed for sale are over 4k SF so you would win the best if anyone took it.

Thanks again

Old 11-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Thanks for the info. The area looked very nice but the number of lots for sale worried me as most of the homes I saw were built in early last decades with little construction this decade. It looked like the classic golf course focused gated development that is less popular these days. It looked like the crime data was for a zip code so a much larger area then this development and being near a major road crime stats can soar for property crime more so than human hamr.

The smallest homes listed for sale are over 4k SF so you would win the best if anyone took it.

Thanks again
We already discussed Edmond but there are some areas between Edmond and Jones that have some really nice subdivisions. It is in what they call the Oakdale school area. About Hefner and Sooner Road. And they are starting to build more stuff on 122nd directly south of Edmond. Lots of trees and hills.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
We already discussed Edmond but there are some areas between Edmond and Jones that have some really nice subdivisions. It is in what they call the Oakdale school area. About Hefner and Sooner Road. And they are starting to build more stuff on 122nd directly south of Edmond. Lots of trees and hills.

Thank I will take a look online and see it when up in Normal for Thanksgiving. By the way, my sister moved to Elk City with her husband from Durant. They are enjoying Elk City as you suggested they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City