Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this.

Shopping choices in OKC are far below even Tulsa or other cities its size, let alone DFW. I find it hard to believe that a metro of 1.3 million people really can't support much retail above Wal-Mart and your basic big box chain and mall stores they have everywhere (shopping in Ft. Smith, Arkansas is about on par with OKC). This was a tough adjustment when I first moved to OKC, though you get used to it and since you can order online, it isn't as much of a detriment as it once was. Grocery stores are still a big issue. There isn't one anywhere near downtown and most grocery stores in the metro are Wal-Mart branded. I detest Wal-Mart but have learned to shop there because in OKC you really don't have much choice.

In terms of restaurants, there are good restaurants in both. In Dallas, you will have access to more ethnic cuisine options, including cuisines you can't find in OKC (or are extremely Americanized) like French, Greek, Russian, etc.
Ok, hold onto your hats, I'm going to say something positive about OKC. Since I have moved here, Uptown Grocery, Trader Joe's, and an overpriced organic grocery store (I forget the name) have opened up. If you think its bad now, it was beyond awful 4 years ago. Its doable now compared to then. Thats the most positive comment you'll see from me on OKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:40 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
To the OP, my first advice is to not listen to one word ATLGuy says. If you wish to learn more about why I feel that way, PM me and I can explain everything.
Knock yourself out. Anyone born and raised in OKC will have a wildly different view, as they're in the "in" crowd. Its one giant clique here, trust me. People are friendly only to your face. You'll see if you mover here.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:36 PM

241 posts, read 432,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Its one giant clique here, trust me. People are friendly only to your face. You'll see if you mover here.
I can partially agree to that. People in Oklahoma aren't as friendly as they seem, as least I think people here in SoCal are more friendly.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
China Town, Super CAO Ngyen, UpTown, Sprouts, Wholefoods, Crest, a number of small artisan specialty stores from honey to pasta, ......
Seriously... Don't even try to compare the OKC ethnic grocers to whats available in DFW. Its light years ahead of OKC. H-Mart alone smokes anything available in OKC. Then you have 99 Ranch, all the Indian grocers (Mondi, Indo-Pak etc), Jusgo, Carrolton Plaza, Hong Kong, Kazy's, Ko-Mart, Heip Thai, and on and on.

We shop a lot of asian/ethnic grocers looking for a wide range of specific ingredients so I do know what I am talking about here. Its not like we are walking into one and just seeing a big selection of stuff we wouldn't know what to do with anyways.

Super Cao Nguyen is great, but it just can't compare to whats available in DFW.

Fiesta and Carnival for Latin foods are pretty good but I don't get into them very often.

Then there is the British Emporium and the German Deli (one of the biggest euro grocery stores in the US). Jimmys for Italian stuff. Nothing close in OKC for European ingredients.

Homeland is decent (I shop at a local one frequently) but certainly not any better than Kroger, Tom Thumb or Albertsons.

Central Market has a much better selection than Whole Foods and has better pricing.

Sprouts is everywhere now. They are ok but not something I am going out of the way for.

Costco.

WinCo is a great place for deals on fresh produce and discount products.

I should also mention Specs and Total Wine for alcohol.

Quote:
Shopping is essentially the same. All of the stores that you get in Dallas, are pretty much coming to OKC.
Nope. Not even close. See Above. Grocery, electronics, outlets, and luxury stores all have a wider selection and availability.

There is simply nothing available in OKC that can compare to Frys, Micro Center or Altex. I was in Norman a few months back and I remembered I needed a SATA cable with multiple male fittings so I could add a hard drive to my desktop. Finally tracked one down at a mom and pop pc store but they wanted $30 bucks or more for it.

Pretty much coming.....very few of the above stores I mentioned are coming.

Quote:

Traffic and freeway infrastructure is great in OKC. Highways could be beautified, but overall, they're in good condition. It's the streets that suck, but they are being vastly improved upon.
They are better but still terrible in many stretches. The biggest plus for OKC is your not paying tolls.

Quote:
Nightlife is getting better. Any reason to travel to other cities for shows and concerts is gone for the most part.
Yes its getting better but its seriously still doesnt have what DFW has to offer. But really, neither are justified in bragging about it.

I dunno about concerts or shows, I have of late been catching mine at Winstar.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:24 PM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
Dallas >>>> OKC

One is one of the largest metropolis in the country, and the other just a medium size town. Dallas should be compared to Houston, and OKC compared to Witchita.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:45 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
Dallas >>>> OKC

One is one of the largest metropolis in the country, and the other just a medium size town. Dallas should be compared to Houston, and OKC compared to Witchita.
Exactly. Its not really a slight on OKC. Its just DFW is much bigger, to get any bigger your talking about Chicago, NYC, LA etc. One of the top 10 metros in the US if not top 5. I dunno if OKC is even in the top 50.

Its like comparing Bakersfield to LA, Buffalo to NYC....its just not fair.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Seriously... Don't even try to compare the OKC ethnic grocers to whats available in DFW. Its light years ahead of OKC. H-Mart alone smokes anything available in OKC. Then you have 99 Ranch, all the Indian grocers (Mondi, Indo-Pak etc), Jusgo, Carrolton Plaza, Hong Kong, Kazy's, Ko-Mart, Heip Thai, and on and on.

We shop a lot of asian/ethnic grocers looking for a wide range of specific ingredients so I do know what I am talking about here. Its not like we are walking into one and just seeing a big selection of stuff we wouldn't know what to do with anyways.

Super Cao Nguyen is great, but it just can't compare to whats available in DFW.
Directly comparing a city of 1.5 million in foreign food grocers to a city of 7 million. That's not fair. That is almost like comparing Dallas to Los Angeles for the city that has better beaches.

Quote:
Nope. Not even close. See Above. Grocery, electronics, outlets, and luxury stores all have a wider selection and availability.

There is simply nothing available in OKC that can compare to Frys, Micro Center or Altex. I was in Norman a few months back and I remembered I needed a SATA cable with multiple male fittings so I could add a hard drive to my desktop. Finally tracked one down at a mom and pop pc store but they wanted $30 bucks or more for it.
Very fair new electronic stores are being built. I have heard time and time again that Tiger Direct is coming to OKC Metro(probably Edmond) and the first of the new Circuit City is coming back and has opened in Dallas I believe(they were supposed to open in spring 16' , though I didn't follow if it happened or not), but you're hardly seeing any new big box electronic retailers opening up. I bet that will change over the next few years when the internet shopping matures and starts to better integrate with mortar stores, but that takes time. I would expect an Ikea to be announced in OKC(one will be soon) before Fry's or the equivalent.

Quote:
Pretty much coming.....very few of the above stores I mentioned are coming.
Wrong. Costco, Fresh Market, Container Store, WinCo, La Madeleine, Pappadeaux, Cost Plus, and REI all stores off the top of my head.

By 2020, I'm willing to place a wager of $100(I'm a man of my word), that there will be Boston Market, new upscale grocer(Kroger, Publix etc.), Crate and Barrel, and several other new to market chains such Fogo de Chao, Louis Vuitton, announced or U/C in OKC.

Not putting a wager on this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ikea or Nebraska Furniture Mart and a new upscale retailer like Nordstrom announced.

Just in the last few years OKC has landed Von Maur, Trader Joe's, Texas de Brazil, Corner Bakery, and I believe I am forgetting a few. I live in Los Angeles, so I don't go ape**** over a lot of these stores anymore.

Right now WinCo is under construction in 4 different locations. La Madeleine is U/C in UNP in Norman, Insomnia Cookies is U/C in Midtown, and there are several international food restaurants and stores that are under construction or announced in and around the metro. A new Mexican superstore is under construction in the south side.

As for the rumors but strongly backed...

Container Store is coming to Penn Square. Cost Plus is coming to Edmond presumably the new lifestyle center being built or Bryant Square. Pappadeaux is announced for Memorial and SH-74, though that location is now in question. Crate and Barrel likely coming to Edmond. New upscale grocer coming to Edmond(Fresh Market or Whole Foods). REI coming to Nichols Hills. Costco likely coming to Edmond and Norman. Lifetime Fitness coming to the northside.

We will see. In the meantime you have Chisholm Creek(North OKC), Shoppes at Spring Creek(Edmond), Glimcher(Nichols Hills), Penn Square improvements/Simons Malls(Central OKC), University North Park(Norman). . . all who have promised to bring new to market retailers to the metro.

To add to all of those(which are offering the same level of shopping experience or better than any place in Dallas), you have several new shopping developments where the detail haven't been released yet but are geared to be upscale lifestyle centers or high end shopping centers such as Rockwell and Memorial(Deer Crest development), Lincoln and I-44, southeast area of Mustang, Will Rodgers Airport Eastside Development, Wheeler District, Covell and I-35(Edmond), and the Market at Crest Village(all announced tenants are currently existing market, but that is phase one. Phase two will be bigger and likely have new to market tenants).

To add to all that, will OKC ever get a Versace Store? IDK, I have to go to Rodeo Dr. for that. Thankfully I live in LA... did I mention I live in LA?

Quote:
They are better but still terrible in many stretches. The biggest plus for OKC is your not paying tolls.
Dallas's infrastructure comes off as more impressive probably because because the city is so much larger and offers more impressive infrastructure you'd expect to see in such large cities. I'd love to one day see a 17 lane highway going from downtown OKC to Norman. Population and traffic doesn't support it. If we had that, I bet people wouldn't aww as much as the highways in Dallas.

Oklahoma City actually has a very impressive and expansive freeway network for its size.

Quote:
Yes its getting better but its seriously still doesnt have what DFW has to offer. But really, neither are justified in bragging about it.

I dunno about concerts or shows, I have of late been catching mine at Winstar.
My final analysis of it really is shopping isn't that much better for the most part with the exception of a few stores I like, but most people probably wouldn't shop there.

I do agree with you on the electronic retailer but unfortunately OKC missed out on a period when those were being built and they aren't anymore. When they start getting built again are anyone's guess.

The one thing OKC absolutely does suck and this is not hyperbolic and I'm sure most can agree on this, is street and highway beautification and mass transit.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Dallas >>>> OKC

Quote:
Exactly. Its not really a slight on OKC. Its just DFW is much bigger, to get any bigger your talking about Chicago, NYC, LA etc. One of the top 10 metros in the US if not top 5. I dunno if OKC is even in the top 50.

Its like comparing Bakersfield to LA, Buffalo to NYC....its just not fair.
This thread isn't about which city is superior though.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 PM

44 posts, read 98,759 times
Quote:
Dallas >>>> OKC

OKC compared to Wichita?! Ummm......no. OKC can now be more compared to Kansas City, Louisville, and even Denver just a bit.

I'm sorry, but OKC is in a totally different league compared to Wichita. The job market is FAR better in OKC than in Wichita, OKC's metro is nearly 2.5 times larger and it just has FAR more shopping, dining, and entertainment options than Wichita. I can certainly see where the look and feel to a certain degree can be similar to Wichita, but that's about it. Wichita doesn't even have a Whataburger or Waffle House for those that like chains.

Oklahoma City has a growing downtown and skyline and while downtown Wichita is really starting to pick up with activity, it still can't compare with what's going on in OKC. At least OKC has a growing skyline while poor Wichita hasn't added anything significant in decades unless you count an arena.

I'm not trying to knock my own city, but I know it is just silly that OKC and Wichita can even be compared to each other. I mean for goodness sake Boeing EXPANDED in Oklahoma City while it left Wichita.

Enough of that though. I would tend to agree with others here that have said that if you want a more urban experience, Dallas is definitely the one to choose, but OKC is really growing and coming into its own and is more affordable. Personally, I thoroughly hate the traffic in Dallas and would not move there just because of that alone. OKC has a good highway system that is nowhere near as clogged as Dallas and does not have tolls in the city. I recently drove through both cities on the way to and back from New Orleans and the differences between traffic in both cities is just night and day. Not to say OKC never experiences stop and go traffic, but compared to Dallas it is just so much more smoother.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post
OKC compared to Wichita?! Ummm......no. OKC can now be more compared to Kansas City, Louisville, and even Denver just a bit.

I'm sorry, but OKC is in a totally different league compared to Wichita. The job market is FAR better in OKC than in Wichita, OKC's metro is nearly 2.5 times larger and it just has FAR more shopping, dining, and entertainment options than Wichita. I can certainly see where the look and feel to a certain degree can be similar to Wichita, but that's about it. Wichita doesn't even have a Whataburger or Waffle House for those that like chains.

Oklahoma City has a growing downtown and skyline and while downtown Wichita is really starting to pick up with activity, it still can't compare with what's going on in OKC. At least OKC has a growing skyline while poor Wichita hasn't added anything significant in decades unless you count an arena.

I'm not trying to knock my own city, but I know it is just silly that OKC and Wichita can even be compared to each other. I mean for goodness sake Boeing EXPANDED in Oklahoma City while it left Wichita.

Enough of that though. I would tend to agree with others here that have said that if you want a more urban experience, Dallas is definitely the one to choose, but OKC is really growing and coming into its own and is more affordable. Personally, I thoroughly hate the traffic in Dallas and would not move there just because of that alone. OKC has a good highway system that is nowhere near as clogged as Dallas and does not have tolls in the city. I recently drove through both cities on the way to and back from New Orleans and the differences between traffic in both cities is just night and day. Not to say OKC never experiences stop and go traffic, but compared to Dallas it is just so much more smoother.
For cities that are rising stars, it is not uncommon for those from larger metros to try to downplay that city.

OKC is that mid major city that gets picked on in the plains. People compare it to metros half its size with 1/5 the amenities. Wichita? Its a SMALL town.

I have seen people compare Louisville to Evansville, IN. Even comparing Louisville to Dayton is laughable.

I would say OKC compares favorably with Louisville, Memphis, Richmond, at least as far as size and importance. OKC has alot of work to do as far as urbanizing and attracting the "cool kids."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City