Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM

240 posts, read 345,744 times

Advertisements

My husband has the opportunity to transfer to a plant his company has in Clinton, Ok. Although it will put us closer to home I still want to be closer to a bigger city. Are there any cities that you would recommend that would be a reasonable commute to both OKC and Clinton to live. I also want good schools and things to do. I figure if we have to drive into OKC that is fine but I also don't want my husband to have an outrageous commute to work. He works for Mars so if anyone knows where the plant is I guess that would help with suggestions also. We currently live in Columbia, SC and I am not a big fan. I am originally from Ca. And want to be closer to family. We have three children ages 10,8, and 4 and twins on the way so a safe place is wanted. My two oldest are boys and they play travel baseball and we want to keep that also. HELP please I want make our next move our last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 PM

58 posts, read 96,016 times
I would recommend Weatherford. Only about a 25 minute drive to Clinton and then 40 to Yukon. When are you planning on moving?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 AM

We don't have a set date because we are doing research. We want the next move we make to be our last so we are taking our time.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM

5,549 posts, read 9,532,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
We don't have a set date because we are doing research. We want the next move we make to be our last so we are taking our time.
Have you ever been to Clinton? It's fairly isolated....a little over an hour outside of OK City. The culture is vastly different from what you'd be used to in California.

It's a nice town if you're from there. I used to go out there quite often when I was younger(ages ago!) but only drive by it now on my way to Amarillo.

I would definitely advise visiting at least a few times before you made the move for good.

Blessings and Good luck.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM

I highly doubt you will want to end up living in Clinton. I recommend checking it out and a few of the towns in the ares nearby. El Reno is about a 50-60 minute drive to Clinton.

I used to work in Clinton and decided to buy a house in Weatherford and commute. I am very happy with the decision as I don't have to drive 20-30 minutes if I need anything. There is actually a walmart here unlike Clinton. Clinton just kind of seemed dead to me where as Weatherford had some life to it.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Did you ever make a decision?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Old 06-17-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
We are still trying to decide. I think being an hour from OKC is much. We live in Columbia, SC now and are an hour from Charlotte, NC and we don't get there much. Does anyone know where the Mars plant is in Clinton? I really want to get as close to OKC as possible if we decide yes. Is it even possible?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM

778 posts, read 2,327,285 times
I hate to say this, but your options are very limited.

From Clinton, you are a hair under an hour to El Reno, which is the furthest out "exurb" of OKC. Its up to you if you want to do that commute, but El Reno is nothing special. You can always live in Yukon which is nicer IMO but tack on another 10-15 minutes.

I will warn you that making a lengthy commute to Western OK daily can be done but it's very dicey. The weather can change instantly. Last trip I made about two years ago to Amarillo for business. Left OKC and it was 60 and sunny. By the time I reached Weatherford it was snowing hard and 25. Weathermen did mention snow but the storm beat his forecast by 12 hours. Fortunately I got a hotel and drove out the next day, but the conditions can be very wild out that way with snow, ice, wind, dust, etc. When I was still living in OKC it was almost a given that I-40 headed west was closed at least once or twice in the winter.

With that in mind, I would second Weatherford. Its a college town so theres a bit more to do. Most importantly, you'll be avoiding the soul crushing daily commute. If that's too far out look at Hinton. Its nice but smaller than W-ford and you're still about 45-50 minutes from downtown OKC. I've never been to Clinton but I would imagine its a lot like other ranching/oil towns out that way....probably a bit "rough around the edges."

Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 13,799,020 times
Quote:
We are still trying to decide. I think being an hour from OKC is much. We live in Columbia, SC now and are an hour from Charlotte, NC and we don't get there much. Does anyone know where the Mars plant is in Clinton? I really want to get as close to OKC as possible if we decide yes. Is it even possible?
I live in Clinton, OK part time. The Mars plant is on the south side of town and is easily accessible from the interstate.

I can get to downtown Oklahoma City from Clinton in about 75 to 80 minutes. From Weatherford, it is about an hour.

Clinton IS a bit "rough around the edges" but I like it. Nice little downtown. Several of the best restaurants in the area. Has most everything you need.

However, Weatherford is considered one of the best small towns in the state. It is similar to Clinton but has the University and has much more upper middle class housing stock then we do in Clinton. Clinton has less traffic and is more serene but Weatherford has more energy and less poverty. You can get from about any spot in Weatherford to the plant in 15-25 minutes.

When I am in Clinton I routinely drive to OKC because my family is there. It isn't a bad drive but I wouldn't want to commute it daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City