Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

By Clytie Bunyan
The Oklahoman
There'll be a lot going on in Oklahoma City this week with a four-day regatta, starting Thursday. And while the Oklahoma River becomes the playground for rowers from several countries, and around the country, the Bricktown Event Center will be transformed into a marketplace for products from some of the most remote parts of the world.

If you're an art lover, WorldFest provides the opportunity to shop and, at the same time, contribute to a good cause. Products purchased at the event will help to improve the lives of people living on incomes of less than $1 a day.
Items on sale will include African blankets, Peruvian rugs, Guatemalan textiles, Indian silver, Mexican pottery, tribal masks and other unusual artifacts.
The folks at World Neighbors, which has brought the event to the state for four years now, say all the products come from fair trade sources. In other words, they weren't sweat shops and didn't involve child labor. The artisans received a fair wage for their work.
Oklahoma City-based World Neighbors is a nonprofit organization but one that works globally to help people overcome those things that undermine their livelihood, such as hunger, poverty and disease. It also empowers women to become self-sufficient and entrepreneurs.
One program offers a savings and credit program where women save together and can take loans ranging from $5 to $100. The micro loans allow the women to start or grow their business, said Debbie Davis, a coordinator for WorldFest 2007.
WorldFest also will include a cafe offering international food from Asia, Africa and Latin America as well as World Neighbors' own blend of Prima Cafe coffee.
Organizers hope the event will give Oklahomans a better understanding of World Neighbors and its mission.

Sounds like fun. I might run up there on Thursday or Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
By Clytie Bunyan
The Oklahoman
There'll be a lot going on in Oklahoma City this week with a four-day regatta, starting Thursday. And while the Oklahoma River becomes the playground for rowers from several countries, and around the country, the Bricktown Event Center will be transformed into a marketplace for products from some of the most remote parts of the world.

If you're an art lover, WorldFest provides the opportunity to shop and, at the same time, contribute to a good cause. Products purchased at the event will help to improve the lives of people living on incomes of less than $1 a day.
Items on sale will include African blankets, Peruvian rugs, Guatemalan textiles, Indian silver, Mexican pottery, tribal masks and other unusual artifacts.
The folks at World Neighbors, which has brought the event to the state for four years now, say all the products come from fair trade sources. In other words, they weren't sweat shops and didn't involve child labor. The artisans received a fair wage for their work.
Oklahoma City-based World Neighbors is a nonprofit organization but one that works globally to help people overcome those things that undermine their livelihood, such as hunger, poverty and disease. It also empowers women to become self-sufficient and entrepreneurs.
One program offers a savings and credit program where women save together and can take loans ranging from $5 to $100. The micro loans allow the women to start or grow their business, said Debbie Davis, a coordinator for WorldFest 2007.
WorldFest also will include a cafe offering international food from Asia, Africa and Latin America as well as World Neighbors' own blend of Prima Cafe coffee.
Organizers hope the event will give Oklahomans a better understanding of World Neighbors and its mission.

Sounds like fun. I might run up there on Thursday or Friday.
Nice post Peggy...You beat me to it!! I would give you a rep point but it wont let me.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Ya, I spent some time today on other forums to spread some rep around. Now I have to wait 24 hours.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Its amazing how far OKC has come. The Oklahoma river has made news in USA Today for becoming a world wide destination for rowing! The Oklahoma River has been chosen to host the Olympic trials for canoeing and kayaking next spring.
From Dust Bowl to River City: Oklahoma City becoming a hot spot for rowing - USATODAY.com

Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Its amazing how far OKC has come. The Oklahoma river has made news in USA Today for becoming a world wide destination for rowing! The Oklahoma River has been chosen to host the Olympic trials for canoeing and kayaking next spring.
From Dust Bowl to River City: Oklahoma City becoming a hot spot for rowing - USATODAY.com
COOL article ht! Thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
COOL article ht! Thanks
ya no problem...Always love to post.lol. I think many downtowns are close to a river like Tulsa and many of these rivers are far prettier. But in my opinion the OKC 'river' has advantages because it is basically controlled. No choppy water. I believe thats probably what the sport wants in rowing. But I dont know I could be wrong...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
ya no problem...Always love to post.lol. I think many downtowns are close to a river like Tulsa and many of these rivers are far prettier. But in my opinion the OKC 'river' has advantages because it is basically controlled. No choppy water. I believe thats probably what the sport wants in rowing. But I dont know I could be wrong...
No, you're absolutely correct. It's perfect for rowing and I'm glad to see them get some water in close to downtown OkC. The city is really, really re-inventing itself right before our very eyes. I don't know if I've ever been witness to such a revitalization as is happening in OkC. It's exciting. As much as I love Tulsa, I'm hoping that OkC continues to do this because it's good for the city and good for the state. I think the tremendous developments going on in OkC will only spur Tulsa to do better. Nothing better than a friendly rivalry to make things happen!

PS. Y'all need to be meaner, and nastier. I need to ding someone to earn these moderator stripes...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM

A snippet from the Tulsa Rowing Club's website about OU adding Rowing to its list of intercollegiate sports.. You may have already posted this ht. Whatever, it's great news!

5/11/2007
University of Oklahoma President David L. Boren today announced that with the assistance of Oklahoma City civic leaders Aubrey K. McClendon and Clayton I. Bennett, OU will add women’s rowing to its intercollegiate athletics program.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
No, you're absolutely correct. It's perfect for rowing and I'm glad to see them get some water in close to downtown OkC. The city is really, really re-inventing itself right before our very eyes. I don't know if I've ever been witness to such a revitalization as is happening in OkC. It's exciting. As much as I love Tulsa, I'm hoping that OkC continues to do this because it's good for the city and good for the state. I think the tremendous developments going on in OkC will only spur Tulsa to do better. Nothing better than a friendly rivalry to make things happen!

PS. Y'all need to be meaner, and nastier. I need to ding someone to earn these moderator stripes...
Well ya...I want to see major projects all over Oklahoma. But now you can understand my frustration over the jenks river project. I knew it would take away from Tulsa. The voters could have been thinking....Why pay extra taxes when we have something like that in a sub? Still PO and seriously upset over that. My question for those voters is WHY would you not want to enhance a REAL city?!?!? The plans were beautiful and I would post the designs but just forget it it all..angry.

PS. Still scared over the eye!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Well ya...I want to see major projects all over Oklahoma. But now you can understand my frustration over the jenks river project. I knew it would take away from Tulsa. The voters could have been thinking....Why pay extra taxes when we have something like that in a sub? Still PO and seriously upset over that. My question for those voters is WHY would you not want to enhance a REAL city?!?!? The plans were beautiful and I would post the designs but just forget it it all..angry.

PS. Still scared over the eye!
The reasons for that are simple, as much as it hurts me to say it.

Okc leadership - always looking forward and planning
Tulsa leadership - round and round in circles for the most part. Losing all kinds of development to the suburbs.

The eye will remain until after Halloween!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City