Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family might be moving to Edmond OK from Denver and I am really unsure about this. I heard and read not so many good things about the OKC area and would like to hear from anyone out there, honest opinions, of what it is like to live there. I have heard so much about "bible thumping conservatives", negative comments about the government, lack of culture and lack of things to do in OK.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
There have been quite a few threads pretty recently here about Edmond and people moving to Edmond... that would be a good place to start. Secondly where have you been hearing all this stuff from? As far as nothing to do.... that depends on what thinks you like to do.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 35,081 times
Well, as I am also planning a move to Edmond, I understand the "scary side" of moving to a new place. I have been putting a lot of research into Edmond, and everything I've found has been fairly if not VERY positive. I have never heard anything about bible thumping conservatives, I can only assume whoever said that is making an uninformed stereotypical assumption based on the fact that Oklahoma is a "red" state. Everyone I've spoken to who live in or around Edmond have been more than nice and gone above and beyond to be not only accommodating but incredibly helpful, this forum included.

That being said, I would suggest simply googling "Edmond, Oklahoma" and you will find several articles on how it is one of the top rated places to live with a family in the country...

I don't know anything about the area you currently live in, but as I am coming from the metro NY area, I expect there to be "less to do" there than I have here. But its not like your only options are cow tipping lol I'm sure you'll find many options if not directly in Edmond than at the very least in OKC.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
[quote=EiLina;15874510].......... I expect there to be "less to do" there than I have here. ;/quote]
Really? you have powwow's every weekend? you have rodeos every weekend? Can you go to a neighborhood arena and compete as a roper? I guarantee we spend every hour of every day just as well entertained as you guys do in third floor walkups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiLina View Post
But its not like your only options are cow tipping lol
give me one good reason to disparage cow tipping. have you ever done it? you ever done any cow patty flinging? bet you nyc'ers can't get one out past 20 feet..........and when was the last time a school in nyc won the BCS? huh?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Oh I hope I haven't offended you! I guess my sarcasm did not come out well in the post. I was just meaning that moving to the "country" brings a different kind/amount of activities but its not as if there's actually nothing to do. As for cow-tipping, I actually have done that, you know not all of NY is the city, and I may just be able to give you a run for your money , seeing as I've lived on a farm where we raised cows.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Oh I hope I haven't offended you! I guess my sarcasm did not come out well in the post. I was just meaning that moving to the "country" brings a different kind/amount of activities but its not as if there's actually nothing to do. As for cow-tipping, I actually have done that, you know not all of NY is the city, and I may just be able to give you a run for your money , seeing as I've lived on a farm where we raised cows.
Oh EiLina,

Don't worry about GP. He's kinda our resident curmudgeon...keeps everyone in line. The fact that he's messing with you probably indicates that he likes you.

I'm kinda like that too. Us Okies have a weird sense of humor....and, in my case at least, poor grammar to boot!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
We seem to have plenty of things to do, often having to pick and choose because we can't do everything. None of which involve livestock.

Our family moved to Edmond 4 years ago from Houston. We love it here. Nice people and neighborhoods and good schools. There's plenty of good restaurants as well as nice museums and parks. OKC has a symphony, live theater, NBA, minor league baseball and hockey, just to mention a few things. OKC has lots to offer, but as others have said, I guess its going to depend on what you are looking for. No, you can't go skiing on the weekends without involving air travel, but there are lots of other options.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM

160 posts, read 975,714 times
We moved from socal to Edmond 2 yrs ago and really like it here. It is a great place to raise kids, family friendly, great schools, nice people. However, is is NOT Denver and it will be an adjustment. Weather is not as nice, shopping not as great, scenery not as pretty. That being said, we are very happy here, have made friends as have our kids and most things I say about living here are all positive. Come down and check it out.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Oh EiLina,

Don't worry about GP. He's kinda our resident curmudgeon...keeps everyone in line. The fact that he's messing with you probably indicates that he likes you.

I'm kinda like that too. Us Okies have a weird sense of humor....and, in my case at least, poor grammar to boot!
Phew! That's a relief! I really DO look forward to moving to OK and have a feeling the sense of humor is going to be right up my alley!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Oh I hope I haven't offended you! I guess my sarcasm did not come out well in the post.
Apparently mine didn't either. Actually I don't blame you. It's where you are living that has warped your humor............
Quote:
I was just meaning that moving to the "country" brings a different kind/amount of activities but its not as if there's actually nothing to do.
In the city people entertain you.....for a fee. In the country you have to actually think about what you want to do, how to do it, and how not to get caught doing it with whomever you are doing it with......big grins are a dead giveaway.
Quote:
As for cow-tipping, I actually have done that,
did you develop a relationship with the cow or did you just tip and run?
Quote:
you know not all of NY is the city,
I LOVE upstate, and would willingly live on the St Laurent........
Quote:
and I may just be able to give you a run for your money , seeing as I've lived on a farm where we raised cows.
Give me a call when you get here.......we can see what kind of running can be done........ps, I also have sheep.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City