Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,450,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
In Findlay and NW Ohio you're going to be isolated from the urban irritations of Ohio. Findlay is a much quieter and much more polite slice of Ohio than the big cities.

In the Cincinnati area, people drive like they're play-pretending to be "New Yawk" drivers, with all of the negatives - arrogance, quick and alarming lane changes, etc - with none of the positive aspects of "real" urban drivers, like great situational awareness. The tailgating here scares the sh*t out of me, it's as bad here as on the east coast (except as noted, Ohio drivers are too stupid to avoid the accidents that result.)

Pedestrians in SW Ohio are an underclass. Drivers here are too backward to know to share the road. You really have to watch it on foot here.

In general I've found people in the Cincinnati - Dayton region to be increasingly pushy in the last several years. Trying, I think, to act "hard charging" without the street smarts to back up the act.

LMAO, and "not" to offend anyone, remember I am a Native Ohioian, but my husband said the same thing when we were living temporarily in S.E. Ohio and he is "from" New York...BTW those New Yorkers sure use alot of hand gestures lol. Husband says it's their State salute. .

Its very dangerous for pedestrians up here in AK. also....we won't even discuss how bad the majority of drivers up here are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM

217 posts, read 693,504 times
but what part of ohio do ya'll live in..it must be a small town..because its a million restaruants that sale good seafood in cleveland...you cant compare living in a small rural town to the city or a more urban area....

Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,450,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
but what part of ohio do ya'll live in..it must be a small town..because its a million restaruants that sale good seafood in cleveland...you cant compare living in a small rural town to the city or a more urban area....
Yes it is rather small towns being discussed. I was born/raised in Cleveland and Cleveland does have some good restaurants. It's a world of difference from Cleveland to the rural areas there. We lived temporarily in S.E. Ohio for a couple of months and although I can't stand cities where the houses are on top of each other, I never want to live that rural again; 35-40 minutes one-way to a restaurant or shopping, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,706,794 times
The "correct" answer on dining anywhere is that you should try to eat stuff that is in season and/or and is indigenous to the local area that you're in. Trying to find glistening fresh seafood or freshly made chowder in mid-Ohio is a fool's errand. It's no use trying. You're going uphill on something that can't be gotten readily here and which the local cooks don't know that much about anyway.

Go instead for the fried tenderloin sammiches.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,186,773 times
I always laugh at the east-coast mentality that staunchly dictates that their colloquialism regarding carbonated soft-drinks (among other things) is somehow the correct one. "Soda" means carbonated water. If you wish to call everything carbonated a soda, that's your business. Mid-westerners call it pop, but we in no way think that our local title for a carbonated soft drink is any better than your's. Something that will REALLY blow your mind: Many southerners refer to every carbonated soft-drink, from Dr. Pepper to Nehi Peach, a "coke."

And, if you're looking for seafood in Findlay, try the Filet-o-Fish at the local McDonalds. Then go for "Italian" at Fazoli's. I also hear they sizzle up some prime steaks at the Ponderosa. Good God, dude...

If you want good restaurants, you'll have to drive to the Cleveland or Columbus area.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,725,471 times
Quote:
If you want good restaurants, you'll have to drive to the Cleveland or Columbus area.
... Or Cincinnati.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 PM

313 posts, read 1,196,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I always laugh at the east-coast mentality that staunchly dictates that their colloquialism regarding carbonated soft-drinks (among other things) is somehow the correct one. "Soda" means carbonated water. If you wish to call everything carbonated a soda, that's your business. Mid-westerners call it pop, but we in no way think that our local title for a carbonated soft drink is any better than your's. Something that will REALLY blow your mind: Many southerners refer to every carbonated soft-drink, from Dr. Pepper to Nehi Peach, a "coke."

And, if you're looking for seafood in Findlay, try the Filet-o-Fish at the local McDonalds. Then go for "Italian" at Fazoli's. I also hear they sizzle up some prime steaks at the Ponderosa. Good God, dude...

Not true on the food.

Findlay has the Bistro, which has great Italian and steaks.

We have a French place called Revolver, that is said to be pricey but good, but haven't been myself.

There is a great Japanese place, Asian Grill, that also does Korean.

Oler's rocks for Mexican, like we used to get in Metro Detroit.

Hunan Garden's has better than decent Chinese.

The Main Street Deli does great sandwiches.

There is a Amish- like restaurant in Vanlue, about 10 minutes from Findlay.

We're members at the Country Club and I am usually pleasantly surprised at how well they do a variety of cuisine styles.

As I previously mentioned, there is a seafood place, which I don't love, but others do, called Fins.

Tony's has award winning ribs and (while I'm usually one for them but at Tony's I am) a fantastic salad bar.

We're little and so we don't have a ton of options, but some of the options we have are really quite good.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM

884 posts, read 2,644,547 times
I did the reverse move Oh to Md. I think it is ok to point out differences but don't expect to change the culture YOU move to. Caffeinated drinks used to be called soda-pop. Some areas stuck w soda and others pop. Most mid west areas say pop. East went w soda. I guess it was a way to sound more elite...lol

Oh is wayyy easier to navigate. The planners in Md laid out these expressways with left entry lanes, the same 50 ft to enter and exit the expressway and short notice to exits.

Food is always going to differ no matter where you move to and from. Just enjoy the cheaper prices.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
... Or Cincinnati.
Yeah...too far.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Not true on the food.

Findlay has the Bistro, which has great Italian and steaks.

We have a French place called Revolver, that is said to be pricey but good, but haven't been myself.

There is a great Japanese place, Asian Grill, that also does Korean.

Oler's rocks for Mexican, like we used to get in Metro Detroit.

Hunan Garden's has better than decent Chinese.

The Main Street Deli does great sandwiches.

There is a Amish- like restaurant in Vanlue, about 10 minutes from Findlay.

We're members at the Country Club and I am usually pleasantly surprised at how well they do a variety of cuisine styles.

As I previously mentioned, there is a seafood place, which I don't love, but others do, called Fins.

Tony's has award winning ribs and (while I'm usually one for them but at Tony's I am) a fantastic salad bar.

We're little and so we don't have a ton of options, but some of the options we have are really quite good.
Well, that's kind of the point. Little cities in rural areas simply don't have the options because they don't have the clientele. One shouldn't expect to find a AAA grade seafood restaurant in a place like Findlay. It's literally 500 miles from the ocean and out of reasonable reach of any of the large population centers in Ohio. The infrastrucutre simply is not nearby. Annapolis is not only right on the bay, it's within 20 miles of 2 large cities. One of which only happens to be the country's capital which is obviously loaded with high-dollar clientele. It's absurd to even mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio