Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,695,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't need a list. I'm in Chicago. We have over 10,000. The couple I am speaking of in my earlier post is.....my parents. You don't have to explain anything to me.

I grew up on VA beach.

Well I'm not going to sit here and argue the point with you,in your case it would be useless,I also have aunts uncles and cousins that live in Norfork and Virginia Beach,so you're not telling me anything new.You have yourself a fine day and enjoy your Chicago cuisine,by the way I have relatives in Chicago also.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 04:36 PM

56 posts, read 154,751 times
Quote:
Why even compare the 2?

Accept the place as is. I lived in Columbus for 3 years and I have never once even thought about making any comparisons to Chicago

Even If I move to NYC, I would never compare Chi to NYC.. Look for the things that will make your life easy not how crappy the seafood is. I call that "focusing on the noise". Do you know what noise is? It's a useless distraction.

Who cares if someone calls it a POP or a SODA.........you must have plenty of time on your hands to make a issue out of that. That's just down right arrogance.
BTW, if you ever go to Canada or the UK, they call it POP........In the U.S. POP or SODA is used depending on the region you're from. I'll bet you knew that,right? :-)

You make it sound as if people in Ohio are beneath you or something. You came from the S.E. part of the country and now your North-Midwest. Did you expect everything to be the same?

There are plenty of things that I miss about Columbus and Ohio in general but why even dwell on it?

Hey, I have a Idea, go back to Ocean City and you'll be much happier. I am sure the GOOD folks of Ohio will not miss you and your generalizations.

Ron
I don't mean to be arrogant if I seemed that way. I like being in Ohio, I was merely highlighting the differences I found. I'm not dwelling on not being in MD, I'm saying what I like about my home state that isn't in OH. And vice versa, OH has things about it that I like better than MD. This is intended as a resource for any Marylanders that are looking at moving to Ohio, just so they can get an account of what someone else from MD thought about OH and help them in their own decision.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:16 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,651,951 times
Thanks for the post OP. But like Annapolis is different from Baltimore, Findlay is the same way. I've been to Findlay and it's vastly different form of lifestyle from me in Cleveland. Hope you get the chance to check out the rest of the state as the area has DRASTICALLY different areas within minutes of each other.. which makes Ohio special.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,651,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
All I'm saying is that when you're used to your seafood being prepared a certain way, it's a little hard getting used to the different ways that seafood is prepared in other states and some states are specifically known for certain cuisine that others aren't, I have no complaint about Ohio, it has some excellent beef and some excellent different cuts and how it is prepared whereas Maryland is probably better known for its seafood and the way it is prepared and cooked, each state has their own particular cuisine.
LOL Southeast Ohio has no comparisons to say Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, etc... You aren't going to get top quality anything in Southeast Ohio outside of some hole in the wall BBQ shacks. It's just a vastly different region more comparable to West Virginia or Pennsylvania then Ohio.

I think the main thing the people who are reading this need to understand is this: Ohio has 12 million people with 75% of the people living in urbanized areas. The TWO people from Maryland here are living in rural areas (to me) and even I am a stranger to that lifestyle.

Having lived in Cleveland and Arlington, VA, I can certainly say big cities are more similar to each other then you'd imagine. If you ever travel to Cleveland try out Salmon Daves, Blue Pointe, or Pier W... although freshwater fish are certainly more popular. Yet, I still go to about 2-3 clam bakes a year in Cleveland

Last edited by WeSoHood; 10-26-2009 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,740,027 times
Someone needs to get laid.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 PM

313 posts, read 1,199,202 times
Quote:
Why even compare the 2?

Accept the place as is. I lived in Columbus for 3 years and I have never once even thought about making any comparisons to Chicago

Even If I move to NYC, I would never compare Chi to NYC.. Look for the things that will make your life easy not how crappy the seafood is. I call that "focusing on the noise". Do you know what noise is? It's a useless distraction.

Who cares if someone calls it a POP or a SODA.........you must have plenty of time on your hands to make a issue out of that. That's just down right arrogance.
BTW, if you ever go to Canada or the UK, they call it POP........In the U.S. POP or SODA is used depending on the region you're from. I'll bet you knew that,right? :-)

You make it sound as if people in Ohio are beneath you or something. You came from the S.E. part of the country and now your North-Midwest. Did you expect everything to be the same?

There are plenty of things that I miss about Columbus and Ohio in general but why even dwell on it?

Hey, I have a Idea, go back to Ocean City and you'll be much happier. I am sure the GOOD folks of Ohio will not miss you and your generalizations.

Ron
Geez, give the OP a break! It sounded to me like a mostly positive review on Findlay-- and I moved here a year ago from MI, so I make comparisons too. It's what you do when you move to a new place. Why the anger?

Also, Enzo, welcome! I'm glad that you've made a good change!

For what it's worth, there is a new-ish seafood joint in town called Fins. Admittedly, I don't love it myself, but others seem to. Maybe they'll have something that is closer to home.

Also, I don't get that here in Findlay people refer to the electric device used to pick up stuff off your carpet as a sweeper. In MI we call that a vacuum.

Last edited by ImaMichigander; 10-26-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Wanted to welcome a new Findlander.... Findlay-ite? Ohioan

Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Geez, give the OP a break! It sounded to me like a mostly positive review on Findlay-- and I moved here a year ago from MI, so I make comparisons too. It's what you do when you move to a new place. Why the anger?

Also, Enzo, welcome! I'm glad that you've made a good change!

For what it's worth, there is a new-ish seafood joint in town called Fins. Admittedly, I don't love it myself, but others seem to. Maybe they'll have something that is closer to home.

Also, I don't get that here in Findlay people refer to the electric device used to pick up stuff off your carpet as a sweeper. In MI we call that a vacuum.
Yeah, some different terminology out here. Also, there is beer in Walmart and the gas station! And drive-thru convenience stores! It's weird to me because I had never seen such things, but kind of cool. I also like that the roads are pretty much straight and flat. Makes finding my way around that much easier.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM

313 posts, read 1,199,202 times
See I am from Metro Detroit and I am used to navigating by the tall landmarks. I ended up buying a GPS to make my way through Findlay and other parts of Ohio!

We only lived about an hour and a half from here and yet there are a lot of different words and phrases used. I think that it's kind of cool!

Need any help finding any other good bits of Findlay and the surrounding areas? I would be happy to share what I have discovered...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
See I am from Metro Detroit and I am used to navigating by the tall landmarks. I ended up buying a GPS to make my way through Findlay and other parts of Ohio!

We only lived about an hour and a half from here and yet there are a lot of different words and phrases used. I think that it's kind of cool!

Need any help finding any other good bits of Findlay and the surrounding areas? I would be happy to share what I have discovered...
I go to school at UNOH in Lima, so I'm familiar with the 75 corridor. Past that and Yucatan, I couldn't find much of anything.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,714,856 times
In Findlay and NW Ohio you're going to be isolated from the urban irritations of Ohio. Findlay is a much quieter and much more polite slice of Ohio than the big cities.

In the Cincinnati area, people drive like they're play-pretending to be "New Yawk" drivers, with all of the negatives - arrogance, quick and alarming lane changes, etc - with none of the positive aspects of "real" urban drivers, like great situational awareness. The tailgating here scares the sh*t out of me, it's as bad here as on the east coast (except as noted, Ohio drivers are too stupid to avoid the accidents that result.)

Pedestrians in SW Ohio are an underclass. Drivers here are too backward to know to share the road. You really have to watch it on foot here.

In general I've found people in the Cincinnati - Dayton region to be increasingly pushy in the last several years. Trying, I think, to act "hard charging" without the street smarts to back up the act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio