Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building of passenger rail in Ohio?
YES! Not only would I support this, but i would ride it! 95 71.97%
Yes. But I would never ride it. 3 2.27%
It doesn't affect me or any one I know. 12 9.09%
No. Blah. Terrible idea! 22 16.67%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,887 times

Advertisements

It sounds neat on the surface, but I am very skeptical that it would work.
Plans such as these usually require very high rider fees AND lots of government subsidies to even survive (check the prices on Amtrak lately?).
Who really needs to commute between the large cities that often? Maybe a very few business people, but it would probably be faster/cheaper/way more convinient to just drive your car, and I-71 is usually pretty quick. Maybe a few college kids would use it who have family in once city and go to school in another city, and don't own a car.
The rail line would not much help the people who don't live near these big cities.
I would probably ride it once just for the scenery, but that is it.
The price tag and timeline they are putting on this is laughable. The challenge of getting right-of-ways to extend existing tracks even a small distance to the new train stations will be a huge problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,727,879 times
^ You sound like you done an economic impact study... can you post the link so that we can see it?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,300,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioan2244 View Post
It sounds neat on the surface, but I am very skeptical that it would work.
Plans such as these usually require very high rider fees AND lots of government subsidies to even survive (check the prices on Amtrak lately?).
But so do highways, toll roads, etc...they'll be using existing infrastructure for the 3-C corridor (railroad tracks) as well which is HUGE and a key difference.

Quote:
Who really needs to commute between the large cities that often? Maybe a very few business people, but it would probably be faster/cheaper/way more convinient to just drive your car, and I-71 is usually pretty quick. Maybe a few college kids would use it who have family in once city and go to school in another city, and don't own a car.
I think you answered your own question...I would guess college kids, business people, train enthusists, people who don't own a car (this number is surprising rising in city areas due to people supporting "sustainibility",etc), sports fans...and ones who like to tailgate along the way, out-of-town travelers, out-of-country travelers, weekend travels, etc

Quote:
The rail line would not much help the people who don't live near these big cities.
Very true. However 6 million of Ohio's 10 Mil + live by one of the three C's or Dayton.

Quote:
I'm sure there are others who think this as well.

Quote:
The price tag and timeline they are putting on this is laughable. The challenge of getting right-of-ways to extend existing tracks even a small distance to the new train stations will be a huge problem.
The cost is TBA, and I wouldn't argue that it's not going to be crazy cheap. Although the current speed will be 79-mph, there is room to get these trains up to 110-mph. If we would want faster, then much more $$$ will be needed to redo the tracks. Lastly, 6 times a day in Cleveland and 8 times a day going through Columbus is not a bad start.

Right-of-ways? what do you mean...the tracks are there...at least for Cleveland.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 09-21-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Personally for me, I'll be moving Downtown Cleveland about this time next year so this works out perfect for me. I've lived 2.5 years car free while living on the eastside of Cleveland in University Circle...and lived via rapid train and bus. It was until I had to more to Texas and North Carolina that I had to buy a car...man these cities are spaced out!

I've only taken a train from Cleveland to Baltimore before...10 hours...but I sleep about 80% of the time. BUT this could be another reason...people want to not drive and rest, people have had their license taken away, etc.

Bottom line is, if we can get $400 mil Federal money...let's do it. If we don't get the money, another state will. I know it's going to cost $15 mil-$20 mil to run annually, but other infrastructure costs way more, and at well have it in place again for future generations with only using majority federal money that has already only been alotted for Transportation.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,035,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm all for it. But I'm more interested in a Cleveland to Pittsburgh line with a stop in Youngstown.
There is a Cleveland to Pittsburgh line, it just doesn't run through Ytown, there is a station in Alliance though.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM

^^That must be the same one that took me to Baltimore. I caught the train by Browns Stadium

Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,461,003 times
Quote:
Same here. I might use it a few times for leisure travel just for the novelty. It's not really realistic for me since a car is faster and cheaper (depending on gas) and, of course, more flexible.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,461,003 times
I wouldnt get your alls hopes up to much on this as it has to pass the State Senate, which might be more opposed to this.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,496,967 times
This is such a stupid idea that I cannot even comprehend why this would ever be brought up. For one, I can drive to Columbus in about two hours, Cincinnati in around four. Can this train get there faster than that? Nope, not a chance. So we are left with a giant federal boondoggle that we have to pay 20 mil a year to maintain, and this WILL lose money. Let some other community that actually needs this have it.

Some of you will say: "Well there are people who need this type of service!" Let them take Greyhound. Will get them there faster and cheaper than this stupid train idea ever will. This is 2009, why in the hell are we talking about putting trains up? This isn't 1920.

This will probably pass though, because some stupid hippie dreamers who hate cars will force it through. I got a better use for that $500 million, build a direct freeway from Toledo to Columbus, and widen I-71 in Morrow County so it is three lanes instead of that disasterous two. We need to be thinking FORWARD, not BACKWARD. What else will you tremendous geniuses come up with: more telegraph lines, and milkman only traffic lanes? Get real!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,035,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This will probably pass though, because some stupid hippie dreamers who hate cars will force it through. I got a better use for that $500 million, build a direct freeway from Toledo to Columbus, and widen I-71 in Morrow County so it is three lanes instead of that disasterous two. We need to be thinking FORWARD, not BACKWARD. What else will you tremendous geniuses come up with: more telegraph lines, and milkman only traffic lanes? Get real!
Definitely agree w/you about I-71, however, there is essentially a freeway from just north of Cbus near Delaware to Toledo: US-23 to OH-15 to I-75, I realize it's not at interstate standards, but it is 4 lane limited access until I-75 w/speed limit at 65 almost the entire way; but if they just widen OH-315 until it ends at US-23, you'd have your entire wish granted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio