Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,258 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I just found this site and am crossing my fingers that I get some good advice. I live in Tennessee and have most of my life. About 6 months ago, my ex-wife decided to move to Carey to be closer to her family. So, what's the problem you ask... My 13 year old daughter is also living in Carey. I go up for 3 or 4 days each month to see her, and I am having a hard time finding interesting things for us to do. I search the events pages online, local newspapers, and of course the brochures in the hotel lobbies, but am still have a hard time finding things. Winter has been particularly hard because I am not really a cold weather person. Though I do try, ice skating, movies, and the mall grow tiring after a while. With warmer weather on its way, I was hoping for some insight into places to go, things to see, even your favorite restaraunts in or around the area. As the round-trip is about 1000 miles, I would prefer staying within 60 or 70 miles of Carey. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 PM

136 posts, read 448,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooktech View Post
With warmer weather on its way, I was hoping for some insight into places to go, things to see, even your favorite restaraunts in or around the area. As the round-trip is about 1000 miles, I would prefer staying within 60 or 70 miles of Carey. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Mike,

I grew up in northeast Ohio and lived in Findlay for 11 years before
moving to Texas. Following are some things to check out:
  • Indian Trail Caverns on SR 568 - 4 minutes west of Carey
  • Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio
  • Drive to Port Clinton - take ferry to Put-in-Bay
  • Lots of restaurants in Findlay: Red Lobster, Cheddars, Applebees, Outback Steakhouse, Wilsons
  • Hancock County Fair over Labor Day weekend
  • At Riverside Park in Findlay, there is a city pool, and paddle boats for the reservoir
  • Roller skating rink on northeast side of Findlay on C.R. 95
  • Miniature golf on S.R. 224 just east of Findlay
  • Hike and Bike trail runs from North Baltimore to Bowling Green. Very flat, good for bikes or skates.

If I can think of some more, will post them. Drive to Findlay and explore the town. It is small and has lots more restaurants, and very safe.

Have fun!
Donna

Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Lightbulb Let's give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooktech View Post
With warmer weather on its way, I was hoping for some insight into places to go, things to see, even your favorite restaraunts in or around the area. As the round-trip is about 1000 miles, I would prefer staying within 60 or 70 miles of Carey. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Mike
Well, Mike, I'll try to give you as much as possible. I've been born and raised in Findlay.

Let's start with the eateries, shall we?

- Elaine's on Main (aka, the Main Street Deli): On South Main Street between Sandusky and Hardin St. It's on the east side of the street. Good Deli sandwiches.
- Fuzzy Bernstein's: On South Main Street between Front and W. Main Cross, next to the Sky Bank. Good sandwiches too.
- Wilson's Restaurant: On the corner of W. Hardin St. and S. Main St. Good old fashioned hamburgers that won't cost you an arm and a leg. The malts are fun too.
- Oler's Mexican Restaurant: On Lima Ave. right after Western. Decent, inexpensive Mexican food. NOTE: It's supposed to look like a hole in the wall on the outside. Do not let that fool you.
- The Lima Ave. Root Beer Stand: Next to Oler's Mexican Restaurant on Lima Ave. It's an actual drive in restaurant. I wish the curent owner's would sink some money into the place, but I still go there for the coney dogs regardless.
- La Charrita: North Main St. between Alpine and Southcliffe. Another Mexican restaurant I patron.
- Dietsch's Bros.: W. Main Cross near Great Scot Supermarket or Tiffin Ave. Across from the Sterling Gas station. Spot on ice cream and chocolate shop. Cold Stone Creamery can go pound sand for all I care.
- George House Coffee & Tea Co.: on the corner of N. Main St. and George St. A good cup of joe and used bookstore upfront.
- Coffee Amici: S. Main St. between Crawford and W. Main Cross. Good coffee and sometime live music on Friday/Saturday nights after 8pm.
- Archie's: N.Main St. & Walnut. Quaint little ice cream stand.

I found a listing of more restaurants on http://www.flagcityonline.com/. If it's a restaurant in town, there's a good chance I've been there.

I know there's an Art festival coming up and a Rib Off. That's the Art's Partnership domain. Here's their website: http://www.artspartnership.com/

She may want to join a school sport too. If she's that type, of course. If not, I'm sure the Blue Devils have a music department. My point is, they have games and concerts you can attend. Maybe not a direct bonding experience per se, but I always enjoyed my parents coming to the school concerts.

There are two main parks with several mini-parks around the area. If you like biking, I suggest Litzenberg park out on SR 224 west of I-75. If you're the walking-hikingish type I suggest Riverside on McManness/Osborne or Riverbend which is out on SR 568 near the reservior.

Joli had some other good ideas too, i.e. Cedar Point, Put-in-Bay (especially during the Summertime), and Shady Grove putt-putt.

*Phew* That's a lot of typing. If you have any other questions, just hollar.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,370 times
In Findlay there are two movie theaters, both carmike. The one on the west side by I-75 has new releases and is around $7 at night. The one in the mall has movies soon to be out on video, and is $1.50 during the week and $2.50 weekends. There is the Fort Findlay playhouse if you like theater. The theater and music programs are good at the high school, so watch for performances from them. The 9/10 and 11/12 class plays are in the fall, the musical is in march. The orchestra has concerts in nov, jan, and may usually. The show choir won national champion i believe, they are worth checking out. There's football and basketball games at the schools, and Findlay hs has a dance team competition once a year. At the University of Findlay there is the Mazza gallery, it is all illustrations from children's books. The roller skating rink closed here, but in the winter there is ice skating at the Cube (the rec center). If your daughter likes art there are different art fairs throughout the summer, and the artwalk, where the local artists open up their downtown studios to tour. In the paper today there was an article about a tour down historic main street porches with reenactors talking about the people who built some of the homes, that will be on odd numbered years first week of May. On even numbered years there is a historic homes tour where you can see some of the older homes that are participating. Beside the Hong Kong buffet (try it, yum!) on Tiffin Ave there was a paint your own pottery place, and a scrapbooking store last time I was by there. If she is arts and crafty Hobby Lobby has a ton of neat projects to do. I would recommend the trails at Riverside park and renting a paddleboat. The caverns near Carey are only open on weekends from may to september, I'd call to make sure they are opened. I drove down once to go through and they were closed, so I have to try again! I think walking downtown and visiting all the little shops is fun. I recommend the Main St Deli and the Greek Garden (my favorite)! I hope I gave you a few ideas! Plus you could ask your daughter if there was something she wanted to do!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:02 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Default Careful on the HK Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigan02 View Post
Beside the Hong Kong buffet (try it, yum!)
My family and I tried that place, and got sick after we ate there. I surmise they left the food out too long or something.

Hunan Gardens (next to Home Depot on Tiffin), Asian Grill, and the Satang (Next to Dietsch's on Tiffin) are much tastier choices for Far East cuisine. However, the Greek Garden is definitely worth the trip. Joe always makes great Gyros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio