Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 PM

368 posts, read 638,905 times

Advertisements

i love cincinnati,lived there ,huge reds fan go all the time..but to say cincinnati has more culture than columbus is laughable..i have lived in cleveland too and yes cleveland does have the best cultural life of the 3 cities..only because of the legacy of the cleveland orchestra which might be best in the us imo,and the plays etc..museums are a wash,toledo has the best art museum in ohio anyway.the cincy orchestra is overrated..the music hall has bad acoustics they have to amplify the music which sounds like kaka..the ohio theatre is a much better venue.i think with the ohio st university it gives columbus an edge culturally ..columbus seems like it has a more diverse population,,but thats just an observation.as far as population growth..you cant annex a 13% growth rate in the columbus msa...accept the fact that columbus is growing ..and will continue to grow...adding counties with losing populations to your msa wont stop columbus from actually growing and overtaking the rest of the cities in ohio.were damn lucky to have 3 great big cities in ohio..and dayton and toledo do have alot to offer also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 AM

125 posts, read 262,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
i love cincinnati,lived there ,huge reds fan go all the time..but to say cincinnati has more culture than columbus is laughable..i have lived in cleveland too and yes cleveland does have the best cultural life of the 3 cities..only because of the legacy of the cleveland orchestra which might be best in the us imo,and the plays etc..museums are a wash,toledo has the best art museum in ohio anyway.the cincy orchestra is overrated..the music hall has bad acoustics they have to amplify the music which sounds like kaka..the ohio theatre is a much better venue.i think with the ohio st university it gives columbus an edge culturally ..columbus seems like it has a more diverse population,,but thats just an observation.as far as population growth..you cant annex a 13% growth rate in the columbus msa...accept the fact that columbus is growing ..and will continue to grow...adding counties with losing populations to your msa wont stop columbus from actually growing and overtaking the rest of the cities in ohio.were damn lucky to have 3 great big cities in ohio..and dayton and toledo do have alot to offer also
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but these comments simply don't make sense. An orchestra alone does not define culture in a city, while an aspect to be measured, it alone is just one facet of what a city has to offer. Cincinnati's Music Hall is one of the finest acoustic structures ever built in any capacity, there is no way that building is overrated.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 AM

125 posts, read 262,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
There are four major sports and soccer isn't one of them...
NHL isn't a major league either.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouneiag View Post
Okay, so I lived in Columbus my entire life, but moved to cincinnati a couple years back for school

first, I'd like to point out that while Columbus may have grown in size on this past census. that is not because of the city growing in population as much as it has been Columbus annexing land around the burbs. Cincinnati's population may have declined but if you look at stat's more closely the inner city population grow in places like OTR (historic, and awesome architecture) and downtown, the banks etc.

The urban life in Cincinnati has recently continued to really pick up and that can be attributed to the urban population. It's a pretty hip city with final friday's down OTR, festivals through Findlay market and OTR as well as music festivals which span across the city and even in the up-town campus area.

Columbus has tried to push for an urban scene and although it has worked a bit--it is really caught up in its suburban life-style, OSU, and college football scene.

Cincinnati takes the win in my view
Wrong. Columbus grew in size about 5 square miles since 2000. Almost all of its growth was within the city proper.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Considering how awful the teams are in Cincy and Cleveland, there are apparently no major league sports in the state.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Bite your tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Considering how awful the teams are in Cincy and Cleveland, there are apparently no major league sports in the state.
*sigh* If only I could have faith that the Tribe weren't just fooling us this early in the season ...

Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,839,699 times
This discussion is not good for growing the state.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM

75 posts, read 176,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
This discussion is not good for growing the state.
Agreed. Can't we just enjoy living in each of our cities without trying to outdo each other. All the cities in the state have one reason or other for people to live there. I live in Cincinnati and think Columbus and Cleveland are awesome, even though I may never live in either of them. Cleveland has a train system Cincinnati could learn from and Columbus has a music scene that is enviable. Just enjoy what you have.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
any more opinions?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Cincy is more "Southern" while Columbus is more Midwestern. I feel there is more to do in Columbus, and more people living within the city while Cincinnati is more suburb-centric and its downtown areas has a pretty bad reputation. Cincy has more history and alot of cool, older architecture. Both are fine cities, I prefer Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio