Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,505 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone- I'm new here, and I thought you guys could help me out.

I came across Minerva in 2005 and since have been extremely fond of it. The park there is beautiful, the main street is very charming and they have a large diversity when it comes to age. In addition to their old-timey feel, they have a lot of activities for kids and teenagers to do- and the roads around there (especially Route 30) are very calming and have picturesque views

Does anyone know what other NE Ohio or even Western PA towns are also like Minerva?

It seems every town I visit with the same population / size has a shanty or hick-ish atmosphere to it. Yet, I don't think Minerva gives off that atmosphere at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Very close to Minerva, you will find Lisbon, Salem, Damascus, and Columbiana. They all have that feel to them. I enjoy the rural parts that are between those towns.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
Hey everyone- I'm new here, and I thought you guys could help me out.

I came across Minerva in 2005 and since have been extremely fond of it. The park there is beautiful, the main street is very charming and they have a large diversity when it comes to age. In addition to their old-timey feel, they have a lot of activities for kids and teenagers to do- and the roads around there (especially Route 30) are very calming and have picturesque views

Does anyone know what other NE Ohio or even Western PA towns are also like Minerva?

It seems every town I visit with the same population / size has a shanty or hick-ish atmosphere to it. Yet, I don't think Minerva gives off that atmosphere at all.
Minerva has it's 'hick-ish' aspects to it as well, just give it some time...lol. Seriously though, if you like it, it does have some nice qualities as you mentioned. Other areas you may find worthwhile to check out are Lisbon, Carrollton & Columbiana for eastern OH towns that are somewhat similar to Minerva.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 17,145 times
Navaree or Canal Fulton or Beach City might be what your looking for...

Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I love Navarre

Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,505 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have said scratch Lisbon. I've been there, and I really like it. The oldest brick building in Ohio/the old-fashioned renovated diner there are really cool. But it's sort of boring there, unless there's something I'm missing about Lisbon. (Plus it's back alleys are very shady..) Not to mention after 2 blocks or so the town is over. I like small towns a lot but it seems a bit too small

Yet, it's still very beautiful. I really like some of the houses there.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,210 times
Why not Minerva if you like it so much?

Other than that, maybe Chagrin Falls? New Philadelphia? Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania?

Too bad you want the northeast part of the state (not that I really blame you), because you might really like Lebanon or Oxford in the southwest part of the state. Both are very pretty and quaint - not hicksville or anything like that.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 AM

65 posts, read 253,394 times
Sugar Creek in Holmes County. small town, smack dab in the middle of Amish country, but much to see. and in the summer, a really cool car show that showcases the Back to the 50s theme.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I forgot about New Philly. That is a nice town. Tuscora park is really nice, and the downtown area is pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio