Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,847 times

Advertisements

I do NOT suggest living in Marion, Ohio. Most of my family is from Marion, and outside of the Whirlpool plant, there is hardly NO JOBS in Marion. The housing is cheap, but the jobs they do have there pay nothing in comparison to some of the other cities in Ohio. Both of my younger brothers have enlisted in the armed forces to get out of that dead end town. Once it sucks you in, there is almost no escaping from it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 17,492 times
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo do not live there. its horrible. its a dump and the only thing it has going for it is a prison. stay away from Marion. AND there has been a lot of EPA investigations from pollutants being burried under schools. High rate of Leukemia and just an overall dump and unattractive town. STAY AWAY>.. I lived In Caledonia as a child. A tiny village outside of Marion. Thankgoodness my family moved.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 38,827 times
Hello!
I myself am from Sylvania, Ohio (near Toledo but nicer then Toledo..hee..hee.. Sorry, Toledo fans.) Anyway, we moved here to (we lived in Delaware before we moved here ot Marion) about 8 years ago and now are looking at moving. The reason for our move has NOTHING to do with Marion. I will REALLY miss living here. Pleasant School has been a wonderful school for us, the people in this area have been so very nice, movie threater (a new one coming in also), lots of after school programs (right now both of my children are taking before and after school classes) taxes are low, housing is priced right, and there is more but I don't want to make this a book.
When we first moved we lived in Delaware. Yikes, I have to say I wasn't impressed as much as the rest of you on here. The taxes are higher, highway police looking for you to go a little fast-all the time on 23, the people we did come meet just didn't come across mean but not as friendly as the people in Marion did later for us.
Our first home here in Marion (on Carolyn drive) we had 4 of the people that lived on that block come over to meet us. One had a homemade baked pie, the other made candies, and the other two just came over to say hi!
We decided we needed a bigger place. So, we bought out near Pleasant Schools ( I just love this area!) Once again the people near us came over to meet us. The holidays they bring over cookies and I do the same in return. We watch out for each other. Last year we didn't have a snow blower and my husband was shoveling the drive. The one guy seen him doing it and came over and did our drive for us with his blower. It's really friendly over here.
Job wise I don't see a lot here. Yes, there is Whirlpool, Mopac, Sliverline, and a few others but not a lot of high paying jobs (just like the rest of Ohio!) If, you have a job here or don't mind driving it's a great place to live. I know lots of people who live here in Marion and drive to Columbus to work.
If, you have children I HIGHLY recommened Pleasant schools. Not only great teachers but it's one of the FEW schools in Ohio not in $$ troubles (and not asking for money each and every year.lol) They also offer free before and after school classes and a lot of other Ohio schools do NOT offer anything like this. There is an after school gym class and a before school cooking/[font=Arial]nutrition class that I know of.
There is 4-H, girl scouts, Boy scouts, upward soccor/basketball, YMCA programs, roller skating rink, movie threater, a horse riding stable, the library has summer programs for the kids, and more.. You just gotta look around for things but it's here.
Delaware is also a nice place but from my experience I have found the people in Marion to be more "Home town friendly type" where as the people I met in Delaware seem more into their own thing (not bad but not what I was looking for.)
Oh, the "Warehouse" is a nice resturant you may want to in Marion.

Good luck on whatever you decide,

Bricore

p.s
I almost forgot- if you move to Marion write these names down..
Dr. Maur and Dr. Lee are WONDERFUL (heck, I have called in on a Saturday morning and they told me just to bring them and and they seen them right away. Really good doctors.)
Dr. Finney is great with your teeth.- I used him when we were in Delaware because so many people recommend him around there too.
Dr. Campbell is also wonderful

Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,934 times
I have lived in Marion for a little over a year now. BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU MOVE. There are some bad parts.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,432 times
is any one hiring

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,988 times
I live in marion. have lived here in town for 7 yrs now and me and my husband are trying like hell to sell our house and get outta dodge!! i have never lived in such a horrible place in my life! i have lived in new jersey, new york, florida, kentucky, and north carolina, but nothing compares to this town. we have been robbed 8 times, our property, and vehicles have been vandalized badly several times. we are good people who dont do drugs and are trying to raise our two boys with good morals and standards and have found it very difficult to do here!!! we really do stay away from anyone who might bring us down in any way, this has not helped in keeping us feeling safe in our own neighborhood. I dont suggest anyone live here, unless you like that kinda thing. just a few weeks ago a pregnant woman was dragged out of her house and raped in broad daylight!!! noone did anything about it and there were witnesses!!! this happened 6 blocks from us too. we plan to move as soon as we possibly can and have even thought about just living in our camper somewhere else until we can sell this house!!!!! sincerely, willing to do anything to get out of bad Marion!!!

P.S. we have lived in the same house for 7 yrs and never once has a neighbor came over to intruduce themselves or even gave a simple wave or a how ya doin! theres no home town pride here, and people here would rather flip u off then say hello! Its really upsetting sometimes, cant wait to leave.

Last edited by sassyrose; 08-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM

i dont work, but my sis has been looking for any available jobs here in marion, its been over a yr and still no luck for her!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM

I agree with you sooo much!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
#1 sign of a locale in major "decline", there is excess of male population.

Males: 20,217 (54.9%)Females: 16,620 (45.1%)
Women, generally, are more psychologically resilient and materialistic to proactively seek the green(er) pastures leaving chronically depressed/addicted/unemployed or "philosophical" males behind. Male's quest for green is frequently interrupted by addictions, psychological/psychiatric disorders or (rarely) by "quests for meaning".

Saying that, Marion is just a typical Ohio town that used to house no longer wanted working class. Unfortunately, many working class folks are just like work mules they need a whip and a yoke of employment to bring structure and meaning to their lives or they just fall apart and/or self-destruct. There is nothing out of ordinary about Marion compared to other Ohio towns with similar % of (formerly) working class. It doesn't look that bad, really. There is plenty of big box shopping, there are quite a few factories and other businesses, including a state prison, Marion is definitely more alive than dead economically. There are upscale areas of haves and less blessed (but yet to become ghettos) areas of have nots. There are drugs and crime but nothing exceptional. You can see people walking on streets, sitting on porches and talking to their neighbors, bullets are not flying, junkies are not littering the streets. It's a working class town, so it's doesn't have wide selection of the cultural and sophistication products that wannabe metro-sexual crowd craves. But, common, how many times per week/month or even year you get yourself cultured? Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati are within 50-130 miles drive for your passive entertainment pleasures 365 days/year. BTW, seems that every 2nd remaining woman has a suggestive tattoo of some kind, so if you are single guy, Marion is not an LA of the Midwest mildly speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio