Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 12:56 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Umm no, I'm referring to Miami University, located in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Despite being majority republican, local bachelor's degree attainment throughout the whole county is 31% which is very close to average. Look.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...o,US/PST045222
Ok, and what? Miami University tips the educational attainment closer to normal for an area that is otherwise largely agricultural. Are you trying to make the argument that red areas aren't as undereducated as they're made out to be? If so it's kind of a lousy argument here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:51 PM

676 posts, read 407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ok, and what? Miami University tips the educational attainment closer to normal for an area that is otherwise largely agricultural. Are you trying to make the argument that red areas aren't as undereducated as they're made out to be? If so it's kind of a lousy argument here.
Butler County is overwhelmingly made up of suburbs and old industrial towns. It is generally 60% Republican, 40% Democratic. I have no idea what you yourself are trying to argue. Like I said as well, several areas of the country that are predominately agricultural also have high education attainment, look at Iowa for example.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:08 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Farming.

All over the world, farmers tend to be more conservative... especially affluent, settled farmers (as opposed to migrants, share-croppers or what formerly was called "peasants"). As the landed gentry moved into the city, and salaried professionals moved leftwards, farmers remained as the redoubtable conservatives. Western Ohio is more farm-oriented than eastern (and especially north-eastern).

Of note, is the split between the three tribes of conservatives: socio-religious conservatives, business/investment conservatives, and ethno-nationalistic conservatives. This split has been operative for several generations, resulting in swing-voting even in Republican-dominated districts, depending on the flavor of conservatism of the leading candidates at the time. Today, we have a national Republican figure who has largely banished the business/investment tribe, and united the other two tribes into a powerful alliance that appeals to socially conservative minorities, devoutly religious people across the income spectrum, rural people, and really... anyone outside of the professional/technical/well-educated circles. This has overall pulled Ohio to the right, and in particular western Ohio. Imagine if instead we had a presidential candidate such as Papa Bush, McCain or Romney. Such a candidate would resoundingly lose Ohio, even in its western part.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:14 AM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Why? Because Republicans want Reaganism, not RINOism, and Trump is captures that modern day Reagan spirit better than anybody else.

We want the federal government cut, their functions sent back to the states. The federal government is an overgrown, out of control cesspool hijacked by activists. Nobody can control it.

Bush 43 was a RINO who gave lip service to Reaganism, that's why he barely squeaked by.

Trump is hitting all the high notes that we want. Strong economy, reduced immigration, clean up elections, shut down Washington except for its essential functions, drill baby drill, promote American industry, etc.
Well stated.

I grew up in S/SE Ohio. That area is the most conservative place I've personally ever been/seen.

Wyoming is considered extremely conservative. We moved to Wyoming 30 years ago
because of the wildness, remoteness, etc among other reasons but had nothing to do with politics at the time. Wyoming is in no way, even in the slightest as conservative as where I am from in Ohio. I love Wy and great Lord willing will die here. Majority of Wy people, ( mostly natives) are conservative in voting yes but not how they live. They get theirs regardless of what it takes. Very much like rinos/leftist.

Talk of highly educated has also baffled me, unless its reflective of time spent on your arse with nose in book in college. I' ve worked with many, many highly educated people from all over the world in my career yet common sense, street smarts, intuition must have never been on the curriculum.

I slid through school, barely and only because of sports. Yet great Lord's grace, we excelled IMO. Im very appreciative of the education I received.

W Ohio sounds like a great place to live!

Last edited by Wytempest; 04-03-2024 at 07:27 AM..

Old 04-03-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
unless its reflective of time spent on your arse with nose in book in college.
You use 'arse' instead of ass? Ha! That's definitely rare in American vernacular. I'm guessing you've spent a lot of time with British people, no?

Old 04-03-2024, 03:23 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Well stated.

I grew up in S/SE Ohio. That area is the most conservative place I've personally ever been/seen.

because of the wildness, remoteness, etc among other reasons but had nothing to do with politics at the time. Wyoming is in no way, even in the slightest as conservative as where I am from in Ohio. I love Wy and great Lord willing will die here. Majority of Wy people, ( mostly natives) are conservative in voting yes but not how they live. They get theirs regardless of what it takes. Very much like rinos/leftist.

Talk of highly educated has also baffled me, unless its reflective of time spent on your arse with nose in book in college. I' ve worked with many, many highly educated people from all over the world in my career yet common sense, street smarts, intuition must have never been on the curriculum.

I slid through school, barely and only because of sports. Yet great Lord's grace, we excelled IMO. Im very appreciative of the education I received.

Just out of curiosity, how do you define "conservative"?

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 04-03-2024 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-07-2024, 11:21 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:

A paramount political distinction today, is precisely how we view the above. What weight is placed on formal academic education, vs. the intuitive or even instinctual improvisation of "street smarts"? Much is said of the wedge-issues, our reaction to public spending vs. individualism, the ethical dilemmas of the moment, trust or mistrust in government, what's meant by "democracy" (and how that differs from a "constitutional republic"), and so on. We need not recite a lengthy list here. But how important are these issues, really?

Politics are most fraught, not in narrowly political things, such as whether to raise taxes or to lower them; but where politics intersect with culture. On the one side, we have persons for whom it's axiomatic that any able person ought to pursue education; that formal education is the foundation for lifelong learning, predicated on "books" or their digital equivalent. Failing to do this, is very much a failure to excel in life, a failure to live life to the fullest. On the other side, we have the belief that formal schooling is effete and indulgent frippery, a waste, a misallocation of our human capital. Tension between these two sides, I contend, is the real political divide facing us today... because it's also a cultural divide, and culture is deeper than politics.

One might argue that the Ohio conservative of 100 years ago, would have embraced formal education as a great boon and merit, and would have been much disappointed if his children were disinclined towards such education. Sometimes, being a conservative meant isolationism; other times, international intervention. Sometimes it meant tariffs; other times, free-trade. The narrowly political topics could have gone one way or the other. But I can't imagine a Taft or a Harding denigrating the "highly educated" or believing that "common sense" can replace a university degree, never mind actually being superior to it.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:57 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
This is relevant, albeit getting a bit dated:
https://www.uakron.edu/bliss/researc...five-ohios.dot

I can speak best of northeastern Ohio, where a lot of former democrats became Trump voters. This transition is largely due to globalist economic and open immigration policies. This subset of voters were not Reaganites.

Old 04-09-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
This is relevant, albeit getting a bit dated:
https://www.uakron.edu/bliss/researc...five-ohios.dot

I can speak best of northeastern Ohio, where a lot of former democrats became Trump voters. This transition is largely due to globalist economic and open immigration policies. This subset of voters were not Reaganites.
Very good article. Thanks for that.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:40 PM

484 posts, read 467,147 times
Quote:
Well stated.

It is. My mother is from squarely in the middle of that red area, Auglaize County to be exact. I consider myself really lucky to have roots in that area even though I grew up in Columbus and live in the suburbs now.
I am not surprised that at least one swipe has been taken in this thread at the alleged education level of western Ohioans. I don't mean ohio_peasant's recent post either, because it's clearly well thought when it comes to this subject. Talk of education is par for the course when it comes to discussing conservative areas, but for my $ the reason why it's such a conservative area has already been stated. A lot of farming in that part of the state, and much of that region is deeply German Catholic. 5Lakes' post is spot on, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio