Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 01:22 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times

Advertisements

There's really no reason to waste the time and energy justifying Ohio to a person so closed-minded as to make the ridiculous statement: 'there's nothing to do in Ohio." ... Time to close this thread and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 01:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
There's really no reason to waste the time and energy justifying Ohio to a person so closed-minded as to make the ridiculous statement: 'there's nothing to do in Ohio." ... Time to close this thread and move on.
You are right. Smart guy. That's why you're a professor. Plus one to you.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Hurricane Ike was pretty devastating. Knocked power out, for 2 weeks. It literally took years, to saw and dispose of the trees that were downed on my former property.
I grew up on Long Island. While LI does not come anywhere close to the devastation that hurricanes have caused recently in places like New Orleans (Katrina) or the yearly hurricanes that occur in FL and parts of North Carolina, I grew up on Long Island. I have a healthy respect for hurricanes, and the extreme damage that they can cause.

My family alone has lost two pleasure boats, a beach house, and more to hurricanes.

A close friend lost her house in Bayville NY and was rescued by boat from the roof of her home, clutching her cat and dog, she watched her car float down the street. Early 1990s.

Then there was Hurricane Sandy in 2012. What damages were heaped on Ohio over this? My cousin, his wife, and then three young sons lived in Long Beach NY, a barrier island city off the southern coast of Long Island. His wife was and is confined to a wheelchair because of a tragic event involving a drunk driver.

Sandy ruined their beachfront condo and robbed them of irreplaceable family photographs and other personal and sentimental things that are priceless.

I admit to not knowing very much about this Ohio hurricane. I do have a basic understanding of hurricanes and their etiology. They very basically are a cluster of rotating storms in areas that originate near the equator and are originate near the equator, that are formed over the ocean - usually, if not exclusively, the southern Atlantic, specifically, the Atlantic. I think you must be referencing hurricane Ike (2007).
Any hurricane activity is the remnants of hurricane Ike and the remnants of Katrina.

My dad was a meteorologist while he was in the service during the Korean conflict. He was stationed in Puerto Rico, not Cincinatti, Cleveland or Colombus.

Ohio is a pretty safe state when it comes to hurricanes. Lake Erie has a very low likelihood of hurricanes, tornados and severe storm winds.

Tropical storms are not a reason to avoid moving to, or living in Ohio.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Forgot about Coors banquet! See there's two good things from Co. Skiing and Coors banquet!
Lol...there is plenty of craft beer in Ohio, but kids shouldn't be partaking in that lol

Old 03-04-2024, 07:36 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love North East Ohio. It has everything we need and want. We just closed on a house in the Cleveland area.
We could not be happier.

Here is what Ohio does NOT have - Earthquakes, mudslides, sink holes, wildfires, tsunamis, hurricanes, droughts, and cyclones.

It think there are tornedos but it's not Kansas.

Yes. We have snow. We moved here from the NYC metropolitan area. We love it.
Snow seems to be disappearing w/ climate change. So far this year, we've had about 1/3rd of what we normally get. About 20" total for the whole season. Not one big snow storm, not even a big lake effect event. 2nd year in a row its been like this. Can't even remember the last time we had an above average snowfall winter.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
I love North East Ohio. It has everything we need and want. We just closed on a house in the Cleveland area.
We could not be happier.

Here is what Ohio does NOT have - Earthquakes, mudslides, sink holes, wildfires, tsunamis, hurricanes, droughts, and cyclones.

It think there are tornedos but it's not Kansas.

Yes. We have snow. We moved here from the NYC metropolitan area. We love it.
Glad you found a house you like! Where did you end up?

I loved a lot of things about Ohio, and didn't find the taxes or weather all that bad. Now, if they could just change the political climate........

Old 03-04-2024, 10:39 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yeah, really. In a state of 12 million or so, "nothing to do" means "I have no idea what to do."

Old 03-04-2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Glad you found a house you like! Where did you end up?

I loved a lot of things about Ohio, and didn't find the taxes or weather all that bad. Now, if they could just change the political climate........
Thank you! It's in an inner ring, East side suburb. The East side of Cleveland tends to be progressive to moderate. It's not MAGA country. Not by a long shot.

Ohio as a state was long known as a Bell Weather State, meaning what president Ohio favored, was also favored by the rest of the U.S. It was also known as a moderate state. People are very nice here, and most of them do not force their beliefs upon others. They aren't judgmental, preachy or insistent that you convert to their political point of view or "over invite" you to their church. I think I have been invited to a church twice in the decade that I have lived here. Once I said no thank you, I am a member of another church and she said "Oh that's great I know someone who goes their and loves it!" The other time I just said thank you but I wasn't interested. She let it go.

Politically, Ohio is Gerrymandered in Ohio on the part of the Republican party. This gives a distorted view that the state is wildly right wing.

Recently, after Roe v Wade was overturned there was a much publicized incident involving a 10 year old girl who was raped and wanted to terminate the resulting pregnancy.

Most Ohioans were outraged. The negative press generated by all of this justified outrage focused on Ohio. It may have seemed as though most Ohioan agreed with this. Actually, I do not know anyone Republican, Democrat or Independant was not horrified by this.

We had a vote in November that temporarily insured that this would not happen again. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...icans-overturn

The Cleveland area, especially on the East Side leans liberal. The city of Cleveland tends to vote for Democrats in most elections. I think that Cleveland in the most progressive. Columbus is more moderate, and Cincinatti is more conservative.

Rural areas are conservative EVERYWHERE. My home state, New York, is very conservative in rural areas. Not only Upstate New York, bur rural and ex-urban, Eastern Suffolk County Long Island. Not the Hamptons, but rural small towns and fishing communities. They are conservative. Yet New York as a state has a "Liberal Reputation".

The same goes for California. The Inland Empire is notably conservative. There are a large population of Californians who are VERY CONSERVATIVE and yet all we hear about is how outrageously Far Left California is.

Many of these conservatives in California are dependents of migrants from the 1930s Oklahoma Dust Bowl. They brought with them their conservative values, their fundamentalist and Pentecostal religious beliefs.
California is the home of several newer, 20th century religious denominations. The Pentecostal Four Square Gospel Church, founded by Aimee Semple Mc Pherson, and in the 1960s, two very conservative denominations that are all over the US - The Calvary Chapel and The Vinyard Churches.

All from "Far Left, Godless, Left-Wing California".

My point is that states do have reputations. There is also the reality.

A Conservative can be happy in NYS or California. So can a moderate.

Anyone can be happy in Ohio. Don't believe reputations. There is probably a place for you in Ohio, and its beauty, vast variety of cultural, recreational, outdoor and indoor activities, and our good life at a bargain price.
It's a very warm and accepting state. Maybe that's because lower mortgages, and rents, coupled with decent wages, access to health care and people who are generally less stressed out makes for a happy place to call home.

Don't take mt word for it! Visit us this summer.

Last edited by sheena12; 03-05-2024 at 12:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2024, 06:13 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Thank you! It's in an inner ring, East side suburb. The East side of Cleveland tends to be progressive to moderate. It's not MAGA country. Not by a long shot.

Ohio as a state was long known as a Bell Weather State, meaning what president Ohio favored, was also favored by the rest of the U.S. It was also known as a moderate state. People are very nice here, and most of them do not force their beliefs upon others. They aren't judgmental, preachy or insistent that you convert to their political point of view or "over invite" you to their church. I think I have been invited to a church twice in the decade that I have lived here. Once I said no thank you, I am a member of another church and she said "Oh that's great I know someone who goes their and loves it!" The other time I just said thank you but I wasn't interested. She let it go.

Politically, Ohio is Gerrymandered in Ohio on the part of the Republican party. This gives a distorted view that the state is wildly right wing.

Recently, after Roe v Wade was overturned there was a much publicized incident involving a 10 year old girl who was raped and wanted to terminate the resulting pregnancy.

Most Ohioans were outraged. The negative press generated by all of this justified outrage focused on Ohio. It may have seemed as though most Ohioan agreed with this. Actually, I do not know anyone Republican, Democrat or Independant was not horrified by this.

We had a vote in November that temporarily insured that this would not happen again. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...icans-overturn

The Cleveland area, especially on the East Side leans liberal. The city of Cleveland tends to vote for Democrats in most elections. I think that Cleveland in the most progressive. Columbus is more moderate, and Cincinatti is more conservative.

Rural areas are conservative EVERYWHERE. My home state, New York, is very conservative in rural areas. Not only Upstate New York, bur rural and ex-urban, Eastern Suffolk County Long Island. Not the Hamptons, but rural small towns and fishing communities. They are conservative. Yet New York as a state has a "Liberal Reputation".

The same goes for California. The Inland Empire is notably conservative. There are a large population of Californians who are VERY CONSERVATIVE and yet all we hear about is how outrageously Far Left California is.

Many of these conservatives in California are dependents of migrants from the 1930s Oklahoma Dust Bowl. They brought with them their conservative values, their fundamentalist and Pentecostal religious beliefs.
California is the home of several newer, 20th century religious denominations. The Pentecostal Four Square Gospel Church, founded by Aimee Semple Mc Pherson, and in the 1960s, two very conservative denominations that are all over the US - The Calvary Chapel and The Vinyard Churches.

All from "Far Left, Godless, Left-Wing California".

My point is that states do have reputations. There is also the reality.

A Conservative can be happy in NYS or California. So can a moderate.

Anyone can be happy in Ohio. Don't believe reputations. There is probably a place for you in Ohio, and its beauty, vast variety of cultural, recreational, outdoor and indoor activities, and our good life at a bargain price.
It's a very warm and accepting state. Maybe that's because lower mortgages, and rents, coupled with decent wages, access to health care and people who are generally less stressed out makes for a happy place to call home.

Don't take mt word for it! Visit us this summer.

Good writeup. Have you considered employment at the local Chamber of Commerce?

Old 03-21-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Good writeup. Have you considered employment at the local Chamber of Commerce?

I'd LOVE that! I really would. A dream job.

Here's a video about one East Side burb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZcR6doZds
NY, Garden City LI, NY, Muncey Park - Manhasset NY and similar areas which are a fraction of the cost of an East Coast NYC suburb.

Last edited by sheena12; 03-21-2024 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio