Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 03:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,456,101 times

Advertisements

I just want to congratulate my neighbors in Ohio on passing two very sensible ballot measures yesterday. Even if you disagree with the results, you should be proud of your state for having citizen-initiated ballot measures. It is a great "power of the people" that keeps your state going in the right direction in the ongoing pursuit of a more democratic governance.

Congratulations, and godspeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 05:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,106,105 times
Well done, Ohio!
Now work on your backward legislature.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:20 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Thanks, but anyone who has followed state politics in recent years knows the scumbags who run Ohio will do everything in their power to block this from happening (especially Issue 1), so the fight is not over.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:44 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks, but anyone who has followed state politics in recent years knows the scumbags who run Ohio will do everything in their power to block this from happening (especially Issue 1), so the fight is not over.
I think a message was sent and received. If OH wants to grow, it needs to join the 21st Century.

They tried everything in their power to confuse the voters. It didn't work.

While I don't smoke marijuana, because I have asthma, I wouldn't mind taking a gummy every now and then. That's MY BUSINESS - not the states.

As a woman, it really angers me that anyone thinks that their opinion, or their religion, somehow apply to the bodies of other people is wrong. DEAD WRONG.

As the daughter of a Conservative father who supported Roe v Wade, and really didn't like the government telling anyone what to do with their own bodies, I wonder what happened to THAT kind of conservatism.

I am hoping that these changes will encourage younger people to stay in the state, and others to relocate here. There are skilled jobs in the Cannabis industry that are taught at the community college level. All of this is promising.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:53 AM

469 posts, read 436,066 times
Issue 1 passed because of ample support from conservatives. It would not have passed in OH otherwise.

https://apnews.com/article/election-...0a616b278403ce

[ “the Yes side won 9 of the 10 counties that Trump won with less than 60% of the vote…”]

This issue was/is less partisan than many realize.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-c...100100852.html

[ “When the right to abortion is on the ballot, it wins. It wins in red states that voted for President Donald Trump. It wins in counties President Joe Biden lost by more than 20 points. It wins when popular Republican officials campaign for it and when they ignore it. And it wins even when the outcome has no immediate effect on abortion access.” ]

Like the OP referenced, I’m proud that OH has citizen-led initiatives…one of only 15 states with initiative, statute, and veto referendum processes.

https://ballotpedia.org/States_with_..._or_referendum

Old 11-11-2023, 01:58 PM

249 posts, read 74,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Issue 1 passed because of ample support from conservatives. It would not have passed in OH otherwise.

https://apnews.com/article/election-...0a616b278403ce

[ “the Yes side won 9 of the 10 counties that Trump won with less than 60% of the vote…”]

This issue was/is less partisan than many realize.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-c...100100852.html

[ “When the right to abortion is on the ballot, it wins. It wins in red states that voted for President Donald Trump. It wins in counties President Joe Biden lost by more than 20 points. It wins when popular Republican officials campaign for it and when they ignore it. And it wins even when the outcome has no immediate effect on abortion access.” ]

Like the OP referenced, I’m proud that OH has citizen-led initiatives…one of only 15 states with initiative, statute, and veto referendum processes.

https://ballotpedia.org/States_with_..._or_referendum
None of that matters. Republicans are already threatening to remove power from the Ohio judiciary to interpret and enforce the new amendment, and that the amendment itself doesn't in any way prevent them from enforcing their own abortion ban. It's about as anti-democratic as it gets.

Old 11-11-2023, 06:48 PM

469 posts, read 436,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
None of that matters. Republicans are already threatening to remove power from the Ohio judiciary to interpret and enforce the new amendment, and that the amendment itself doesn't in any way prevent them from enforcing their own abortion ban. It's about as anti-democratic as it gets.
As I understand it, there are 4 unhinged state legislators (in a 132-person General Assembly) actively promoting this nonsense. If the other Rs are dumb enough to latch on in an effort to subvert the will of the people, they deserve to be voted out and lose the majority.

I doubt this goes anywhere. If it does, it’s utter and complete political stupidity for the Rs.

A 13% victory margin, ie, the will of the people, is not to be messed with.

Old 11-11-2023, 10:07 PM

249 posts, read 74,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
As I understand it, there are 4 unhinged state legislators (in a 132-person General Assembly) actively promoting this nonsense. If the other Rs are dumb enough to latch on in an effort to subvert the will of the people, they deserve to be voted out and lose the majority.

I doubt this goes anywhere. If it does, it’s utter and complete political stupidity for the Rs.

A 13% victory margin, ie, the will of the people, is not to be messed with.
Ohio Republicans have ignored state education being unconstitutional for decades, and totally ignored the will of the people after they voted to end partisan gerrymandering, the latter of which passed with more than 70% of the vote. There is absolutely no reason to think they will act in good faith here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio