Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 10:44 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times

Advertisements

One of the best things about Cincinnati that is never mentioned enough but should be is the American Sign Museum. Its appeal may be limited to the artsy types but it is a nostalgic collection of neon signs from a time when central business districts were dominated by neon and flashing electric lights. They did have a giant Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket stored behind the building that would become the Dohn community high school but it was destroyed by vandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 02:54 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
One of the best things about Cincinnati that is never mentioned enough but should be is the American Sign Museum. Its appeal may be limited to the artsy types but it is a nostalgic collection of neon signs from a time when central business districts were dominated by neon and flashing electric lights. They did have a giant Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket stored behind the building that would become the Dohn community high school but it was destroyed by vandals.
https://www.americansignmuseum.org/

Great point! My wife and son love that meuseum and I pass by it frequently heading through Camp Washington.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:28 PM

1,211 posts, read 501,942 times
For Cincinnati,
-Mt. Adams Eden Park
-Over the Rhine get something at Findlay Market and cook it in your airbnb.
-Go to a UC football game, and or Reds, Bengals, FC.

-Have a drink in the Netherland Hilton, walk upstairs and see if the door of The Hall of Mirrors
is open. It's in bankruptcy last time I checked it was locked.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That's interesting! I wonder if it has to do with things being more compact/closer together here? In my family, a long drive is anything over 20 minutes. My family is clustered in Massillon/SW Stark County, and has been, since the early 1950's. (some parts going back much further) One cousin moved to Akron, and hosted Thanksgiving one year. That was a huge event, for everyone to drive so far, and it never happened again, LOL. I think a normal commute to work would be a 15 minute drive, max.
The regional differences are pretty interesting, that's for sure.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:20 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Finally getting some recognition.

https://local12.com/amp/news/local/l...making-history

Old 03-05-2024, 11:49 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You can easily spend 3 days in Cleveland. One day focused more downtown and Ohio City, one day focused around University Circle and Little Italy, and one day maybe getting out into a few outer neighborhoods.

For a visitor in Columbus, I really don't think you need much more than a day. There is nothing in Columbus that isn't eclipsed by what you'll see in Cleveland when it comes to typical tourist things. For example, if you go to the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Columbus Museum of Art becomes kinda pointless. German Village and the Short North are the most popular places to go for out of towners. IMO Short North honestly kinda sucks, just overpriced homogenized yuppie stuff. German Village is a gem of a neighborhood with some great places to eat, such as Valter's and Lindey's. Beck's, Mohawk, and Club 185 are cool bars down there too. But that's pretty much it, unless you want to see an Ohio State football game or something.

I don't know Cincinnati well enough to advise on it.
I agree that it isn't hard to spend 3 full, fun, interesting and educational days in Cleveland while eating food that is as delicious and diverse as the food in NYC.

As far as Colombus and Cincinnati are concerned, I have only been to Columbus twice while visiting colleges with one of my kids. I did not get to do anything Columbus Specific while I was there.

I have only been through Cincinnati - or passed it on the way to Louisville Kentucky and New Albany Indiana. I was on business, and I didn't spend any time in Cincy. From what I know it has some southern vibes there, which, given its location, is not surprising.

If I am not mistaken, both Cleveland and Cincinatti have large German populations and areas called "German Village".

There is a large theme park outside of Cincinnati. We have heard good things - https://www.visitkingsisland.com/

As far as Cleveland goes, I know of so many things to do. Knowing your interests would be helpful.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:24 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That's interesting! I wonder if it has to do with things being more compact/closer together here? In my family, a long drive is anything over 20 minutes. My family is clustered in Massillon/SW Stark County, and has been, since the early 1950's. (some parts going back much further) One cousin moved to Akron, and hosted Thanksgiving one year. That was a huge event, for everyone to drive so far, and it never happened again, LOL. I think a normal commute to work would be a 15 minute drive, max.
I have noticed the same thing that Kathryn has in Ohio. In general. People don't like to drive and what they think is a long drive, or "too long" is NOTHING is the NYC metro area.

I am not referring to inside actual NYC - but the Metro Area - which includes New York suburbs (Westchester. Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New Jersey's northern 'burbs those in Bergen, Passaic, and other Eastern counties, and southwestern CT.

People in all of these areas think NOTHING about traveling to a new job that is an hour away from where they live. The money is so good in NYC, that they would rather travel 45 minutes to an hour to work, or to see a play, movie or attend a sporting event. I guess when you live in an area called "Long Island" you get used to driving.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:06 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have noticed the same thing that Kathryn has in Ohio. In general. People don't like to drive and what they think is a long drive, or "too long" is NOTHING is the NYC metro area.

I am not referring to inside actual NYC - but the Metro Area - which includes New York suburbs (Westchester. Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, New Jersey's northern 'burbs those in Bergen, Passaic, and other Eastern counties, and southwestern CT.

People in all of these areas think NOTHING about traveling to a new job that is an hour away from where they live. The money is so good in NYC, that they would rather travel 45 minutes to an hour to work, or to see a play, movie or attend a sporting event. I guess when you live in an area called "Long Island" you get used to driving.
When I lived in NYC at one point I was taking the 7 train to Grand Central to Metro North. Was commuting an hour and a half one way and thought nothing of it. Gave me time to catch some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio