Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Huge news for Columbus area and Ohio overall. There are only a handful of these anywhere in the world.
From last summer: https://www.techspot.com/news/90709-...ttle-city.html

From today:
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/...y-in-ohio.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 06:04 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
I haven’t seen any official announcements, but this would be massive news if true.

$100B+ capital investment in a single campus manufacturing project is astonishing.

For reference, the largest investment EVER in the automotive industry was Ford’s $11B announced investment in EV production across multiple states (KY and TN). So the Intel investment would be 10x that project, and centered entirely in the Columbus area.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/5879885001/

The sheer scale of this project (6-8 wafer Fabs), and the fact it’s on U.S. soil for intellectual property purposes, also tells me they’re likely to embed Technology Development Fab(s) in addition to high volume manufacturing (HVM) Fabs. This would put OH at the forefront of new semiconductor manufacturing technology development if my speculation is accurate.

OSU will be a big winner here. I would expect a pipeline of hundreds of technology professionals into Intel’s operations with local degrees. Comparatively, at Intel’s massive Oregon operations, they lacked a robust STEM focused university in the immediate Portland area to feed Intel’s staffing needs. Intel did make reference to the draw of a major university, in addition to affordable power, so no surprise.

I hope the reports are accurate.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I haven’t seen any official announcements, but this would be massive news if true.

$100B+ capital investment in a single campus manufacturing project is astonishing.

For reference, the largest investment EVER in the automotive industry was Ford’s $11B announced investment in EV production across multiple states (KY and TN). So the Intel investment would be 10x that project, and centered entirely in the Columbus area.

The sheer scale of this project (6-8 wafer Fabs), and the fact it’s on U.S. soil for intellectual property purposes, also tells me they’re likely to embed Technology Development Fab(s) in addition to high volume manufacturing (HVM) Fabs. This would put OH at the forefront of new semiconductor manufacturing technology development if my speculation is accurate.

OSU will be a big winner here. I would expect a pipeline of hundreds of technology professionals into Intel’s operations with local degrees. Comparatively, at Intel’s massive Oregon operations, they lacked a robust STEM focused university in the immediate Portland area to feed Intel’s staffing needs. Intel did make reference to the draw of a major university, in addition to affordable power, so no surprise.

I hope the reports are accurate.
It seems all but confirmed at this point. Some of the trustees of the township this would go in have basically said today that it's for this project, but refused to name the company, probably because there was some official announcement forthcoming from Intel themselves. The federal bill that is supposed to help finance this is also not fully passed in the US House, but given that it's supported by both parties, the project is in the US, in a "red" state and meant to be a move against Chinese power, I would imagine this is not going to face significant political shenanigans by either side and will ultimately easily pass.

OSU is currently constructing a multi-billion-dollar innovation and research district in West Campus, so I would imagine they will now expand any related programs and degrees that focus on this highly-specialized field, if they haven't already.

I just can't imagine all the ancillary development this will bring, as well as all the potential companies that will now be taking a new look at Columbus and Ohio overall. This won't just be a single Intel project, but rather potentially many projects and growth for years to come.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:52 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Excellent news. I imagine this will draw tons of out of state people to the Columbus area, something that the city needs to maintain its high population growth.

Intel's expansion to the Portland area back in 1974 is a large reason why the metro is still seeing very healthy growth to this day.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 PM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
Quote:

The sheer scale of this project (6-8 wafer Fabs)
I don't think it has been established if this is that project. What has been leaked/announced so far is a single fab. Having said that, it could lead to the full thing down the road. Either way great news for Columbus.

Old 01-14-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
I don't think it has been established if this is that project. What has been leaked/announced so far is a single fab. Having said that, it could lead to the full thing down the road. Either way great news for Columbus.
Fair enough, I was keying in on the mega Fab complex (mini city) concept that the CEO was describing. We’ll see what comes if/when official announcements are made.

Separate comment, but wafer fabrication is extremely water-intensive. By some estimates a single wafer fabrication plant will consume as much water per day as a small city. Given the ongoing droughts in AZ, OR, and NM (U.S. locations for existing Intel fabs…), I assume this factors heavily into future location selection.

Consider this article that describes the water challenge in AZ as it relates to semiconductor manufacturing.

https://www.theverge.com/22628925/wa...rizona-drought

If OH does in fact land these Fab(s), I’m sure our favorable water situation has helped, relative to existing Western state sites.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 PM

570 posts, read 559,617 times
Congrats Ohio! Glad some of these companies are moving to places where jobs are needed the most.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:32 AM

Official announcement has been made. Initial plan is for $20B investment in 2 Intel Fabs to be completed by 2025 in Licking County.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...6-640bb53da0ac

It is expected to add $2.8B to Ohio’s annual GDP.

“It’s also expected to generate more than 20,000 jobs in the state – including 3,000 direct Intel jobs, earning an average of $135,000 per year (plus benefits). There’s also 7,000 construction jobs throughout the course of the build. This project will also mean thousands of additional indirect and support jobs that include contracted positions, electricians and engineers.”

If I were placing bets, I’d wager that this is just the opening salvo in what will eventually become the “mini city” ~$100B total project that the CEO has referenced.

Looks like there is a press conference later today, so we’ll see if any further detail.

Last edited by SlideRules99; 01-21-2022 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Official announcement has been made. Initial plan is for $20B investment in 2 Intel Fabs to be completed by 2025 in Licking County.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...6-640bb53da0ac

It is expected to add $2.8B to Ohio’s annual GDP.

“It’s also expected to generate more than 20,000 jobs in the state – including 3,000 direct Intel jobs, earning an average of $135,000 per year (plus benefits). There’s also 7,000 construction jobs throughout the course of the build. This project will also mean thousands of additional indirect and support jobs that include contracted positions, electricians and engineers.”

If I were placing bets, I’d wager that this is just the opening salvo in what will eventually become the “mini city” ~$100B total project that the CEO has referenced.

Looks like there is a press conference later today, so we’ll see if any further detail.
It's also confirmed that this IS the site of the planned mega fab with potentially 6 more fabs after the initial 2, so definitely a $100+ billion project in the next decade. So this will become the largest chip manufacturing site in the world, not just the US.

Furthermore, there are already supporting tech and service companies planning physical investments in the area as well, so ancillary development is already in the planning stages well beyond whatever Intel is doing. This is going to be a wave of companies and investment coming to the region.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:01 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
This is huge. Will benefit the entire region around Ohio.

Silicon Heartland! love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio