Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM

215 posts, read 190,346 times

Advertisements

New to the Rust Belt.
Is there a company or companies that specializes on rust removal on intact vehicles?
IE put it on a lift and hit the frame, etc. from below?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 06:12 AM

453 posts, read 120,192 times
I wish I knew but maybe google it since you didn't get any replies. My car is a rustmobile on the bottom unfortunately--I didn't check it out good--bad on me--never again!

Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 PM

215 posts, read 190,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinepurple View Post
I wish I knew but maybe google it since you didn't get any replies. My car is a rustmobile on the bottom unfortunately--I didn't check it out good--bad on me--never again!
Same.
Makes me think from here on out I will only buy new vehicles.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:33 AM

139 posts, read 119,057 times
You have two choices.

1. Buy new or near new and stay on top of keeping the undercarriage washed and sealed in the winter.

2. Buy a cheap car down south and bring it to Ohio, drive it for 3-5 years until it succumbs to the rust, then buy another and repeat.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:24 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Although vehicles are more rust-resistant than they were in the dark ages of the past, rust is still a problem here in the salt belt. Rinsing off the underbody is often not possible during the cold Ohio winters. If you try doing this when the ground is frozen, you will turn your driveway into a skating rink. And if you do it at a car wash, the underbody will be coated with salt again by the time you get home.

While some swear by annual applications of Fluid Film or Krown, I have had only limited success at trying to rustproof vehicles in the past. The areas that are most susceptible to corrosion are boxed-in and difficult to access. I also question the effectiveness of applying a rustproofing compound over sheet-metal that is packed with dirt & salt.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:08 AM

255 posts, read 262,273 times
Born and raised in southern Ohio. Remember the rust problems very well. Night and day difference to the west. Our vehicles barely rust out here. I remember if one tried to apply undercoating, the rust would be worse under the undercoating and you wouldn't even see it until it was too late. I have a newer alumnabody ford (aluminum cab). I wonder how that would fair in Ohio. Frame would still rust.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:35 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Born and raised in southern Ohio. Remember the rust problems very well. Night and day difference to the west. Our vehicles barely rust out here. I remember if one tried to apply undercoating, the rust would be worse under the undercoating and you wouldn't even see it until it was too late. I have a newer alumnabody ford (aluminum cab). I wonder how that would fair in Ohio. Frame would still rust.
I wonder too about aluminum bodied vehicles. I remember how the aluminum commercial buses used to develop small holes around the wheelwells. Are the aluminum bodied vehicles painted on the interior parts of the body panels?

Old 08-03-2021, 09:11 PM

255 posts, read 262,273 times
Yes. Painted inside and out.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Yeah, and even when the rust isn't bad it's annoying when you run into bolts/screws seized up with rust turning 15 minute projects into hours long undertakings.

Actually feel a bit guilty bringing our west coast vehicle back here with us. But plan to get some fluid film to help prevent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio