Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 02:02 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I was comparing cities, not metros. In DC in 2019, there were 85,333 foreign-born out of 705,749 people, giving a % of 12.1%. It's one of the very few cities where most of the foreign-born live outside the core city. Philly is 14% foreign-born. Columbus city is 13.3% foreign-born, so in terms of core cities, it is comparable. DC may be an outlier given its donut of foreign-born population, but Philly and others follow the typical patterns of having most in the core city.
Furthermore, I used core city because immigrants living 30-40-50 miles outside the core city in rural/exurban areas are not going to have as great an impact on either perception or influence in the core city culturally.
Do most foreign born people live in the city? In some cases sure. In others not really. Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco, Seattle, and even Los Angeles have the bulk of their foreign born population living outside the main city in suburbs. I think your conflating what is typical in Northern cities with the country as a whole.

DC still isnt a good example because the district is so small in area. Its 67 square miles to Columbus' 225. The bulk of the immigrant community lives in places like Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery County, MD. That is nowhere near 30-50 miles away. Its more like 15-20 which isnt completely different from Columbus itself. Columbus is much smaller so the distance isnt far, but the bulk of the immigrant communities are on the East side towards Whitehall and the North side between Downtown and Worthington/Westerville.

Using city limits isnt a good way to look at it because cities limits are not uniform across the board. Instead of that, but if you want to exclude people who live too far away, use urban area measurements.

Below is a list of how many different ethnic groups represent at least .5% of the population of each urban area. This is not by metro area or CSA, only the urban area population. This means immigrants that live in places that are not directly connected in continuous development to the care of the city are excluded. Places like the Woodlands are not included with Houston or Denton with Dallas.

New York City - 18 Countries: Mexico, India, China, Haiti, Philippines, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Jamaica, Korea, Guatemala, Ecuador, Poland, Peru, Guyana, Bangladesh, Trinidad and Tobago, and Italy.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale - 14 Countries: Cuba, Mexico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Guatemala, Brazil, Nicaragua, Honduras, Ecuador, Peru, and Argentina

Washington DC - 13 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Korea, Guatemala, Honduras, Ethiopia, Peru, Bolivia, Pakistan

Los Angeles - 11 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Taiwan, Korea, Guatemala, Iran, and Armenia.
San Jose - 11 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, and Russia

Houston - 10 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nigeria
San Francisco - 10 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Taiwan, Korea, Guatemala, and Hong Kong

Boston - 9 Countries: India, Vietnam, China, Haiti, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Guatemala, and Brazil
Orlando - 9 Countries: Cuba, Mexico, India, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, and Brazil

Seattle/Tacoma - 8 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, Korea, Ethiopia, and Canada
Sacramento - 8 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, Afghanistan, Fiji, and Ukraine

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 7 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, Somalia, Ethiopia, Laos, and Thailand
Las Vegas - 7 Countries: Cuba, Mexico, China, Philippines, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Ethiopia
Tampa - 7 Countries: Cuba, Mexico, India, Dominican Republic, Colombia, Venezuela, and Canada

Atlanta - 6 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, Jamaica, Korea, and Guatemala
Riverside - 6 Countries: Mexico, China, Philippines, Vietnam, El Salvador, and Guatemala
Detroit - 6 Countries: Mexico, India, Iraq, Canada, Bangladesh, and Lebanon
San Diego - 6 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, and Iraq
Portland, OR - 6 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, Philippines, and Korea

Chicago - 5 Countries: Mexico, India, China, Philippines, and Poland
Dallas/Fort Worth - 5 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, China, and El Salvador
Baltimore - 5 Countries: India, China, El Salvador, Korea, and Nigeria
Charlotte - 5 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, El Salvador, and Honduras

Philadelphia - 4 Countries: Mexico, India, China, and Dominican Republic
Columbus, OH - 4 Countries: Mexico, India, China, and Somalia
Austin - 4 Countries: Mexico, India, Vietnam, and China
Providence - 4 Countries: Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Cabo Verde and Portugal
Jacksonville - 4 Countries: Cuba, Mexico, India, and Philippines

Phoenix - 3 Countries: Mexico, Philippines, and Canada
Indianapolis - 3 Countries: Mexico, India, and Burma

Denver - 2 Countries: Mexico and India
Kansas City - 2 Countries: Mexico and India
Milwaukee - 2 Countries: Mexico and India

San Antonio - 1 Country: Mexico
Cleveland - 1 Country: India
Virginia Beach - 1 Country: Philippines

I think Austin, Charlotte, and Jacksonville are Columbus' peers. Philly is simply too big even though per capita Columbus can go toe-to-toe with it on immigrant diversity. DC, no way no how. DC is in a tier just below NYC.

But when we bring the conversation to Ohio as a whole, it punches WAYYY below its weight on attracting immigrants.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 07-12-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 04:53 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
If someone wants to move somewhere else though, again, why would they come to the U.S. with a President that ran a campaign on systemic racism, anti-police (white ones), POC oppression etc.

Tell this to the people in the U.S. thinking and shouting that things have never been worse in the here. As you state, it's all relative.

And what are immigrants' expectations coming to the U.S.?
If you're going to debate with someone, wouldn't it be more productive to talk about your opponent's actual viewpoint, instead of a parody of their viewpoint provided by your allies?

Old 07-21-2021, 09:07 PM

Let's try again. I was trying not to be political, and it became too generic.

Quote:
If someone wants to move somewhere else though, again, why would they come to the U.S. with a President that ran a campaign on systemic racism, anti-police (white ones), POC oppression etc.

Tell this to the people in the U.S. thinking and shouting that things have never been worse in the here. As you state, it's all relative.

And what are immigrants' expectations coming to the U.S.?
For your phrases I bolded, how did you come to the conclusion that they are true?

While I guess it's possible that you decided for yourself that those statements are somehow true, I have the impression, from reading the P & OC sub-forum, that many conservatives get these ideas from conservative talking heads, who tell their listeners what they think liberals think.

So, if you're going to discuss these issues, it would be more productive to try to understand how liberals view these issues, instead of relying on the straw man parody that other conservatives have decided is the liberal's viewpoint.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well, thanks, but no one has responded to any of my posts other than that ''it's relative''. If that's the liberal view on this issue, then I guess that's a discussion?
I think the liberal view on this is that while things aren't perfect here, and there is always room for improvement, things are still better here, relative to where they are coming from. You are the one stating liberals think that things have never been worse in the US.

Quote:
Sorry but I don't listen to ''talking heads'' but your point goes both ways: liberal and conservative talking heads exist, for those who listen to them of course.
Of course! But, being center-left myself, I am probably missing the same type of hyperbole coming from the left. Can you provide examples of things the left says the right believes?

I'm tired of hearing the right say that: the left want open borders, the left want communism, the left hates the US, the left are anti-police, the left want lawlessness, the left thinks everything is racist, etc., etc. I'm calling those examples of straw men, because you're arguing against them, when no one is arguing for them.

Since so many conservatives state what liberals think so often, and in such similar terms, I've just come to the conclusion that they're hearing the same viewpoint from a small number of sources.

The latter part of my post is very off-topic, I probably won't continue with that part of the discussion.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
What, that everything is relative? Provided by my allies? Huh...

Sorry but immigration is political, as we continue to see.

It remains ironic that, in a country wherein about half or so of the country elected an administration that ran on a anti-U.S. platform, there is a discussion to encourage people to come here, let alone to twice won Trump Red Ohio. No wonder the U.S. has a negative image problem around the world when our President uses the same anti-U.S. rhetoric our traditional foes use to undermine our influence.

It's even racist to enforce our current immigration laws; sanctuary states and cities doesn't help. Where else in the world can you enter a country, legally or illegally, and think same country can't enforce its racist immigration laws

Regardless, and again, there can be no immigration or policy discussions until we secure our borders and enforce our current immigration laws. We used to be a nation of law, now we're a nation of emotional hemophiliacs.
The irony of suggesting the Left is anti-US while the Right tried to overthrow US democracy for a man-child who couldn't- and still can't- accept a legitimate defeat. Weird how conservatives don't want any of that madness punished- but "nation of laws!!" Also, it's pretty clear that global views of the US collapsed during Trump's term. It's well documented. And we were all told we shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

Our current immigration laws are trash. The vast majority of people could never actually immigrate legally if they tried. The system really doesn't work for anyone but rich people and the occasional lucky refugee. And for the record, immigration laws aren't inherently racist, but can be applied in a racist way. And immigration can certainly be a hot-button issue for racists and nationalists in general who don't want their country to be "invaded" by foreigners. That's certainly the rhetoric now, even by those hiding behind calls to "secure the border". No one means the Canadian border.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
I didn't mention anything about the left or right wanting open borders, communism etc....just facts and wondering how we can have an immigration discussion or policy when our borders are not secure.

Fact remains that we have an administration in the White House that ran a successful campaign on anti-U.S. rhetoric, the same rhetoric our foreign adversaries use to discredit our country.

We can't even enforce our current immigration laws. Until we as country act like adults again, there can be no serious discussion of attracting immigrants anywhere in the U.S. This means secure borders and enforcement of our laws. If this is being ''conservative'', so be it I guess.

Biden-Harris represents the left; Biden was supposed to be ''middle of the road'' but this has been disproven; Harris is considered to be far left.

You can say what you want about conservatives and where they get their ideas and viewpoints ad nauseam...I just look first hand at what I see and hear...I don't need a pundit, left or right, to tell me what to think.
I must've missed the "we hate America" campaign that you think Biden ran. I think what you mean is that he talked about problems that you don't think exist and construed those into an anti-US platform. For example, it's pretty clear that conservatives/Republicans believe racism ended about the time I Love Lucy was the #1 show, and otherwise refuse to acknowledge it still is a real issue for millions of real people in America today.
But you're 100% wrong. Talking about these things does not mean they hate America. It's just that problems don't get fixed by ignoring them, by pretending they don't exist. Talking about them means that they can be addressed, making the nation better and stronger. It's the exact opposite of hating America. It's loving it enough to want to put in the effort to fix what's broken, even if the topic is uncomfortable. If you had a child who became addicted to drugs, you as a parent wouldn't ignore that, would you? You'd try to help them, not out of hate, but out of love, out of a sincere desire to see them recover from a mistake. This is no different. Real patriotism is not loving every aspect of your country unconditionally. Real patriotism is striving to right wrongs and to live up to the promise of the nation's founding, especially when it's hard.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If you were to tell me that Ohio would have two of the largest cities for growth in immigration in the past ten years I would have said you were nuts.

Yet here it is

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/othe...ubs/ar-AAKp0xD

This is more impressive given the last president. So what's the secret
Louisville KY ranks #3 on that list, it is mostly placed refugee families. That is something any place in Ohio or elsewhere could do. We now have the largest Cuban population outside of Florida or Las Vegas along with many Syrians and Nepalese. Of course the best scenario is being Steamboat Springs CO and having rich people flood your location, bringing their money but few of the problems created by poverty. But a stable population neighborhood with foreign refugees is far better for a city than then neighborhood just being vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio