Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

People in Ohio ALWAYS consider themselves Midwestern. It's weird it's a central state, it's as far east as Florida! Is this because of historical reasons, or is it similar to the Plains states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM

54 posts, read 186,059 times
i think mainly historical reasons.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:12 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times
central state, eastern state, midwest state...na, all wrong...OH is in the twilight zone...

Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Ohio could be considered many things. I think most consider it Midwest, but i think it's more complicated than that. Western and Central Ohio definitely look a lot more flat and Midwestern than eastern Ohio.

There are also several different accents in Ohio. Toledo and Cleveland have the Great Lakes accent. Everyone up there calls me Kaaaaaaaathy. Once you get down around Columbus people have a more noticeable twang to their speech, although i wouldn't call it completely southern. Then you have some people around me, in Youngstown and south of there (NOT all people in this area), that have the western pa or PITTSBURGHESE .com accent (instead of color they say kellar, first time i heard this i had no idea what they were talking about). Lastly, there is an Appalachian type accent that also sounds southern, maybe the same as the one in southern Ohio, I'm not sure.

I also consider Northern Ohio more Great Lakes than Midwest, even though part of the great lakes are in the Midwest.

For me it's pretty complicated, i live maybe 10 miles from the Pa border and an hour from Cleveland, Akron, and Pittsburgh. I sort of consider myself 1/3 Midwestern, 1/3 great lakes, and 1/3 rust belt.

There are also some New England influences in Northeast Ohio since it was once part of the Connecticut Western Reserve and because it was originally populated by people from Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Northeast Ohio is also very densely populated and it has (had) more industry than farmland.

Ultimately, i think everyone would consider it midwest because we weren't part of the original 13 colonies and most of Ohio was settled after the Revolution. To the colonies, Ohio was the West or the frontier, but to people out west we are East. It's all confusing me right now as i type. All i know is that I don't identify w/the plains states at all, or w/Cincy, C-bus, Indianapolis, etc. I identify w/places like Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie, Pittsburgh, Akron and Detroit..........must be the steel and automobiles in my blood.........

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 05-05-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM

422 posts, read 758,901 times
I would say it's more redneck than Midwest, especially once you get South of the Lake Erie region.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

92 posts, read 254,764 times
I think it just depends on who you're talking to. I normally just tell people I'm from Ohio when I'm out of the state. It makes it easy and then people know exactly where I'm from.

When I'm in California and I tell people I'm from Ohio, I'm obviously considered to be from the east.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM

138 posts, read 675,819 times
Ohio is the "Heart" of the midwest.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:21 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I would say it's more redneck than Midwest, especially once you get South of the Lake Erie region.
Try telling that to someone in the mid-south, i.e. Memphis, Tupelo, Huntsville, etc! lol

WE'RE THE DAMNED YANKEES to them!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Just goes to show you ... As soon as one person tries to put a label on something/someone, a second person will present evidence to refute that label.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Try telling that to someone in the mid-south, i.e. Memphis, Tupelo, Huntsville, etc! lol

WE'RE THE DAMNED YANKEES to them!
True, lol according to my friends from North Carolina living here in Cleveland, we are the Yanks.

NE Ohio represents more NE feel to it, SE Ohio more Appalachian feel to it, but not like West Virginia and Kentucky. SW Ohio is much more southern, and NW Ohio, midwest I would say. Now this is just my opinion, and what I have observed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio