Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 08:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The city of Detroit has been voting Democrat since 1962. That has turned out to be a disaster.
So, you're saying that Democrats were the sole cause of post-WW2 deindustrialization? Interesting thought... stupid, but still interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I drove from Indianapolis to Cleveland and back over Thanksgiving weekend. Almost every political sign I saw was for Trump.
Yeah, we'll rednecks do love them some political (and borderline racist) paraphernalia, don't they?

Quote:
If Ohio is producing enough well-educated people to have a brain drain, they're doing better on that front than Democrat-run inner cities.
Hmmmm... following that train of thought, you'd almost think that those horribly run inner cities would be vast wastelands when it comes to higher education. I mean, it's a good thing that CSU and CWRU aren't with in the Cleveland city limits. Thank GOD ALMIGHTY himself that OSU isn't in that blue hellhole called Columbus and that neither UC nor Xavier reside in Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 08:27 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Maybe you're not familiar with the term inner city. It's the urban equivalent of redneck trailer parks, aka ghettos, and the majority of the residents are dyed-in-the-wool Dems. I suspect the aforementioned universities don't draw much of their student body and faculty from them.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
We also have a less diverse demographic than the rest of the nation...our Latino and Asian populations, both which overwhemingly vote Democrat aren't very high.

The true bellweather states are now places like NC, GA, AZ...Ohio is going to become less and less important nationally
I wouldn't say less important. OH is still the 7th most populous state in the nation with also the 7th largest GDP. Of course, the vast majority of the GDP comes from those terrible blue areas of the state.

We're just far more predictable than we used to be because the formerly progressive, white baby-boomers are now old people who vote Republican (or live in Florida). I haven't considered OH to be a legitimate swing state since prior to the 2000 election. Hell, in the past 60 years, Ohio has had a Republican governor for 40 of those years. Our national elections are driven by the voter turnout in about 5-6 major counties.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 12-01-2020 at 08:51 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
First off, I don't live in Ohio, but I was born and raised there. I am asking this question because, historically the candidate that wins Ohio, usually wins the election.
An amazing coincidence, yes. But that's all it ever was due to the fact that the demographics of OH largely represented the industrialized core. It no longer really does and has been trending that way since the 70's.

Quote:
All the other battleground states seemed to switch, in the middle of the night, to Biden, in what a lot of people seem to think was some suspicious goings ons. Ohio was the exception.
It was not ONE BIT suspicious. This trend was entirely predictable and well known before the first ballot was even cast. Everyone knew that mail in ballots would be at an all time high due to COVID, an overwhelming majority of them went to traditionally "blue" households and that mail in ballots are the last to be counted in most states. Where the hell do you think team Trump got their "prediction" from?

Quote:
The question I have, out of ignorance of the election laws in Ohio, is, "Are there laws or procedures in Ohio that might explain why there is no question of voter or election fraud?" Or could it be they tried but fell short?
No and no. If anything, I call GOP voter fraud in Ohio . GOP governor, SOS, 12/16 in the HOR, 2/3 of the State HOR, etc. They all CLEARLY conspired. Mind you, I have no proof of this at all. But that's CLEARLY what happened because, well, it just did.

Quote:
Does Ohio have something to teach the rest of the country?
Yeah, this is what happens when you elect rednecks to run your state.

Quote:
It is my feeling that enough is not done for election security, and there should be procedures in place that eliminate any question that an election could be stolen by anyone.
It's your feeling, even though the Trump contingent can provide no substantive proof of it? If you want to eliminate "any question," let's just make Trump into the next Kim Jong Il. Problem solved, although I think we'll have to sanction a cage match brawl to the death between Beavis and Butthead to find out which one will be the next Kim Il Sung.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Maybe you're not familiar with the term inner city. It's the urban equivalent of redneck trailer parks, aka ghettos, and the majority of the residents are dyed-in-the-wool Dems. I suspect the aforementioned universities don't draw much of their student body and faculty from them.
CWRU is friggin' 2 blocks away from what you're referring to. Careful now, your white hood is showing!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:50 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Well like you said, you moved away from Ohio, like many many other young people. I moved back here when the West Coast got too expensive, but most people don’t. So the brain-drain and aging population creates a state which will become miserly, conservative and, frankly, not that bright. Ohio is no longer a bellwether and soon most of the Midwest will say the same. Arizona, Georgia, Florida, NC and the rest of the states people are actually relocating to in droves are the true swing states going forward.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:15 AM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Unfortunately, Ohio has too many backwards angry rural white guys that are uneducated and pissed at a everyone else for their own shortcomings...they refuse to better themselves and move out of their crap little towns w/ no futures...Trump spoke to them, and of course stoked their anger and resentment to vote in mass...

I fear Ohio has become lost like Missouri, another state that has 2 large cities at each end and is a backwater across the rest of the state...The Democrats need to work extra hard in the cities here to get the voters to the polls...Cleveland/Cuyahoga County didn't have near the numbers of voters that last 2 elections at the polls that we had for Obama in 08/12...I wish Obama could train the Ohio Democrat Party how to organize and reach out better...or they need to go learn from Stacy Abrams whose work has finally changed Georgia from deep red to purple.
This is such an incredibly ignorant post. I suggest to learn about rural, white America to watch "Hillbilly" (2019) on Hulu. Good little documentary done by a woman who moved out of Appalachia to Los Angeles and returned to see why so many rural voters attached to Trump. I think you will understand a little more why those people vote the way they do.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:44 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Ohio has been trending Red for a while now. It's becoming a pretty solid Republican state. I would have been really shocked if Biden would have won Ohio.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I wouldn't say less important. OH is still the 7th most populous state in the nation with also the 7th largest GDP. Of course, the vast majority of the GDP comes from those terrible blue areas of the state.

We're just far more predictable than we used to be because the formerly progressive, white baby-boomers are now old people who vote Republican (or live in Florida). I haven't considered OH to be a legitimate swing state since prior to the 2000 election. Hell, in the past 60 years, Ohio has had a Republican governor for 40 of those years. Our national elections are driven by the voter turnout in about 5-6 major counties.
CA is the most populous state but because it never votes republican, it's not important...TX as the 2nd most populous state always votes republican so it too is not very important in the grand scheme of things...the only states that are truly important, the states that both parties campaign the hardest in are the unpredictable ones..states like WI, PA, GA now, NC now...
MO used to be a bell weather state, not it is straight republican...so neither party fights too hard there. Ohio is going to become the same way unless Dems get their act together and get the voters in Cuyahoga, Franklin, Hamilton, Montgomery, Lucas, and Summit Counties to vote.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:46 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
This is such an incredibly ignorant post. I suggest to learn about rural, white America to watch "Hillbilly" (2019) on Hulu. Good little documentary done by a woman who moved out of Appalachia to Los Angeles and returned to see why so many rural voters attached to Trump. I think you will understand a little more why those people vote the way they do.
They vote that way because they are ignorant rascists...that's it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio