Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM

144 posts, read 161,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It sounds like you're looking at a minimum of 6 years down the road, if not a couple decades down the road.

I'd just hold off until you get closer to the time you actually want to make a move. A lot could change between now and then.

As an aside, DC doesn't sound like a great fit for you if you don't like NYC and are attracted to small town Ohio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think he must like the graduate program in DC, so it’s just a box he’s checking on the way to blessed flyover country.
Exactly right, gentlemen. D.C. is just while I'm attending grad school there. I agree that a lot can happen, but having concise goals in mind is what keeps me motivated throughout this process. It's how I've always operated, and I get the best results in my endearvors when I remain goal oriented and driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Delaware County is the richest county in Ohio and one of the most educated counties in the country but coming from NYC it will not be too pricey for you. Delaware OH is not that wealthy you could buy a nice there if you need to but Powell is pretty wealthy . Dublin is pretty nice as well but has some middle class parts. You could be alright.
Sounds right up my alley! At least, right up where my ambitions lay. I find the homes affordable and worth their value in both Powell and Dublin, but the property taxes are absolutely killer, unfortunately.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,174,724 times
Keep in mind the property taxes pay to keep those places nice. So for the extra ~$700/yr on a $250k house, it pays for better road maintenance, quick snow clearing, well maintained buffer zones (30' from the center line on an average 2-lane road), and so on. So you won't see giant stands of honeysuckle coated in trash along main streets like you would in, say, West Chester OH, a large middle class suburb of Cincinnati. I do not know of a Columbus equivalent in regards to maintenance.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Keep in mind the property taxes pay to keep those places nice. So for the extra ~$700/yr on a $250k house, it pays for better road maintenance, quick snow clearing, well maintained buffer zones (30' from the center line on an average 2-lane road), and so on. So you won't see giant stands of honeysuckle coated in trash along main streets like you would in, say, West Chester OH, a large middle class suburb of Cincinnati. I do not know of a Columbus equivalent in regards to maintenance.
Forgive me if I am deeply mistaken here, but according to calculations I've done based on Zillow and Realtor--the property taxes in Powell and Dublin usually average out to $600 per month, not per year.

For example, take this home: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...28_rect/11_zm/

^ Great example of the type of home I aspire to live in. Property taxes here say $7,435 in 2016, with a 9.9% increase since 2015. $7,435 divided by 12 months is roughly $620 per month.

Here's the county auditor's website regarding the same home: http://www.co.delaware.oh.us/service...31942209004000

If it were per year I'd have no serious issue with it. 600 a month is quite significant, considering other payments that usually come with the territory (utility bills, car payments, television/phone/internet bills, etc).

Old 11-22-2017, 04:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,174,724 times
The $700/yr extra figure was a guess based on property taxes in Dublin/Powell vs an equivalent house in a place like West Chester OH.

$600/mo in a ton, and especially if you're still single do you really want the upkeep and maintenance of a place like that also?
Something to consider, I'm in a similar situation and have been thinking that through as well - leading me to decide to rent for the foreseeable future.

Not to throw another curveball at you, but since you are military it might be worth looking into Beavercreek, OH. The community style is similar to Dublin/Powell, there's no municipal tax. The way taxes work in OH is you are taxed by both the municipality of your employer and the municipality of your residence. For workers at WPAFB, which is located in a tax-free municipal zone, their tax is determined by where they live, so many choose to live in Beavercreek since no municipal taxes are levied.

Anyways, if you're looking for something tax-free, it's definitely worth considering. And it's about an hour from the places you like, as well as an hour from the majority of the Cincy metro too.

More info here:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...i_property_tax

Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
The $700/yr extra figure was a guess based on property taxes in Dublin/Powell vs an equivalent house in a place like West Chester OH.

$600/mo in a ton, and especially if you're still single do you really want the upkeep and maintenance of a place like that also?
Something to consider, I'm in a similar situation and have been thinking that through as well - leading me to decide to rent for the foreseeable future.

Not to throw another curveball at you, but since you are military it might be worth looking into Beavercreek, OH. The community style is similar to Dublin/Powell, there's no municipal tax. The way taxes work in OH is you are taxed by both the municipality of your employer and the municipality of your residence. For workers at WPAFB, which is located in a tax-free municipal zone, their tax is determined by where they live, so many choose to live in Beavercreek since no municipal taxes are levied.

Anyways, if you're looking for something tax-free, it's definitely worth considering. And it's about an hour from the places you like, as well as an hour from the majority of the Cincy metro too.

More info here:
Snapshot of property taxes by county tables
It sure is a ton, of all my research it's the only thing that got me down when considering Ohio.

So my plan wasn't to move into a home right away, as some people have guessed. I would only look to purchase a home if and when I get married and perhaps have a kiddo on the way. Until that point, I don't have an issue with renting. In fact, I've found quality apartments in Powell for 1,000-1,200 a month--very manageable on the salary I'd be making as a teacher in the Olentangy School district.

Please, throw all the "curveballs" you can. I'm looking for any suggestions to prepare myself for this potential prospect. Thank you for your Beavercreek recommendation, I'll definitely check it out!

Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 PM

13,680 posts, read 9,765,062 times
Ohio's property taxes are high compared to other "heartland" places, but low compared to the NE corridor. They're high as percentage of the house's market-value, but that is because property values are themselves low (and stagnant).

It sounds like the OP has a reasonable plan. For a person with political aspirations, it make sense to put down roots in the sort of community which one eventually aspires to represent. Ohio is not monolithic. Some parts nearly resemble aspects of NYC, and other parts are more like rural Alabama. The main point, I think, is how NYC and a handful of sister-cities are outliers overall in America, and so, wherever one relocates outside of those cities, this will be the more "mainstream" America. Whether one regards that as being good or bad is, of course, a personal opinion.

In sum, suburban central or south-western Ohio would appear to be a good fit. But there are many other potential places, that qualify equally well.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Ohio's property taxes are high compared to other "heartland" places, but low compared to the NE corridor. They're high as percentage of the house's market-value, but that is because property values are themselves low (and stagnant).

It sounds like the OP has a reasonable plan. For a person with political aspirations, it make sense to put down roots in the sort of community which one eventually aspires to represent. Ohio is not monolithic. Some parts nearly resemble aspects of NYC, and other parts are more like rural Alabama. The main point, I think, is how NYC and a handful of sister-cities are outliers overall in America, and so, wherever one relocates outside of those cities, this will be the more "mainstream" America. Whether one regards that as being good or bad is, of course, a personal opinion.

In sum, suburban central or south-western Ohio would appear to be a good fit. But there are many other potential places, that qualify equally well.
I completely agree--NYC and its culture is so detached from mainstream America, and I personally consider that a detriment. This was immensely apparent to me as I've traveled throughout the country. It's ironic that I felt more at home in several other states (Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, Colorado, Utah) than I did in New York, where I actually live. The culture and communities I visited just resonated more deeply with me, and have been influential in my decision making process.

One of the reasons Ohio stands out to me (in a good way) is how culturally diverse it is--and I don't mean ethnic diversity. Like you said: depending on where you are, the values and culture of the communities can vary greatly. I find it a great strength to reside in a state where different ideologies are enfranchised and practiced--it encourages dialogue and competition, whereas an echo-chamber environment (like NYC) breeds complacency, indoctrination, and weakness. This is especially encouraging to my political aspirations, where I know I stand more of a competitive chance than I ever would where I currently live.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You mentioned there are other potential places that could be a good fit for me--would you care to share any of them? I would be sure to research and consider them!

Old 11-26-2017, 04:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,633,360 times
I lived in Columbus for 17 years.

Look into renting in Bexley -- you'll be among all the political folks and not far from OSU. Powell/Dublin are too far, especially in the winter.

I was commuting between N. Columbus and Delaware (Ohio). I don't miss that commute at all.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I lived in Columbus for 17 years.

Look into renting in Bexley -- you'll be among all the political folks and not far from OSU. Powell/Dublin are too far, especially in the winter.

I was commuting between N. Columbus and Delaware (Ohio). I don't miss that commute at all.
Thank you for the suggestion. I checked it out and it is definitely more affordable than what's on offer in Powell and Dublin. Closer to OSU and the Ohio State Capitol as well. The Bexley City School District also seems to boast excellent schools, very promising. I particularly enjoy that it is a politically vibrant area, as I've read that many notable figures reside and operate within the area.

My initial reservations are that the homes that I've looked at are just not up to the standard that I'm aiming for at my price range. The thing I really like about Powell, Dublin, and Marysville is the fact that the homes are spacious and full of utilities/amenities that would make you think its value over 500k--yet it's actually under 400k. What I see in Bexley is great potential for renting and perhaps even a "starter's home", a place to even network and meet the right people within politics, but not a permanent residence.

Additionally, local representation seems to be politically dominated by Democrats (Congress & General Assembly).

Regardless, Bexley is definitely on the radar now. I thank you for your contribution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio