Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,381,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainclipper View Post
Personally, I've seen that there's a lot less city-suburb friction/distrust/antagonism in Columbus also, as compared to other cities like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, or Detroit.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that annexation allowed many otherwise suburban areas into the city proper, as well as the fact that it allowed the city itself to remain dominant in the region. For example, no Columbus suburb is over 50,000 people in pop, but the city itself is closing in on 900,000.

As a result, there's never really been the kind of derogatory attitude of suburban people avoiding "the city" because it's "not safe," talking about "when you cross the border into Columbus," or any kind of balkanization of the suburbs against the city like you see in other rust belt metros. This has also helped from a regional identity perspective, because most people from "Columbus" are actually from Columbus - Versus most Clevelanders or Cincinnatians I've met in college or elsewhere were almost always from a surburb or surrounding township, not the city itself.

At the same time, the fact that it grew by a process of parcel-by-parcel annexation of township land versus a city-county merger (i.e. Indianapolis) has also allowed Columbus to avoid other dangers that would result from that. In particular, the handing of control of the city over to suburban interests as we have seen in Indy and some other places. Also, that has allowed Columbus to remain nimble and not be boxed-in by county lines. Are there any other large cities in Ohio that span multiple counties?

So while it is much criticized, I actually think Columbus' annexation strategy was extremely smart, and allowed it to perhaps unknowingly avoid certain divisions and dangers other metros have faced, which has helped it to be more clearly focused on growth and jobs in a way that is finally paying real dividends.

Thoughts?
Columbus is newer in developing compared to most cities including Cleveland and Cincinnati. It doesnt have the long history yet of great accomplishments/industrialization/cultural amenities. But it also doesn't have a history of disasterous downturns, pollution,crime and poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,882,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainclipper View Post
Personally, I've seen that there's a lot less city-suburb friction/distrust/antagonism in Columbus also, as compared to other cities like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, or Detroit.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that annexation allowed many otherwise suburban areas into the city proper, as well as the fact that it allowed the city itself to remain dominant in the region. For example, no Columbus suburb is over 50,000 people in pop, but the city itself is closing in on 900,000.

As a result, there's never really been the kind of derogatory attitude of suburban people avoiding "the city" because it's "not safe," talking about "when you cross the border into Columbus," or any kind of balkanization of the suburbs against the city like you see in other rust belt metros. This has also helped from a regional identity perspective, because most people from "Columbus" are actually from Columbus - Versus most Clevelanders or Cincinnatians I've met in college or elsewhere were almost always from a surburb or surrounding township, not the city itself.

At the same time, the fact that it grew by a process of parcel-by-parcel annexation of township land versus a city-county merger (i.e. Indianapolis) has also allowed Columbus to avoid other dangers that would result from that. In particular, the handing of control of the city over to suburban interests as we have seen in Indy and some other places. Also, that has allowed Columbus to remain nimble and not be boxed-in by county lines. Are there any other large cities in Ohio that span multiple counties?

So while it is much criticized, I actually think Columbus' annexation strategy was extremely smart, and allowed it to perhaps unknowingly avoid certain divisions and dangers other metros have faced, which has helped it to be more clearly focused on growth and jobs in a way that is finally paying real dividends.

Thoughts?
I agree Columbus sounds like a mini Chicago it almost has 900k people. Sounds legit.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,381,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree Columbus sounds like a mini Chicago it almost has 900k people. Sounds legit.
"Mini Chicago"? Hardly
Don't let population of a city "proper" skew the reality of a cities actual size. The entire metro of a city will usually determine the size, feel and perception for visitors or residents.
ie- in regards to populations within city limits, Columbus is larger than Atlanta, Boston, minneapolis, Miami, Seattle, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Tampa, etc. etc.. but as anyone who has lived,traveled or visited those cities know the Columbus metro is much smaller compared to the previous mentioned cities. Columbus currently has a much smaller developed urban/suburban footprint. Perception of black and white rankings/ lists are not always reality, especially when comparing cities.

Last edited by 1watertiger; 06-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-18-2017, 04:55 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,488,743 times
Quote:
If anyone thinks Columbus is actually bigger than San Francisco, Boston, or Washington dc, they simply haven't traveled much.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
If anyone thinks Columbus is actually bigger than San Francisco, Boston, or Washington dc, they simply haven't traveled much.
I was being sarcastic but it went over everybody's head

Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,488,743 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic but it went over everybody's head
Don't give yourself so much credit. My comment was actually on the same page as you.

"They" not "you."

Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM

525 posts, read 722,319 times
I agree with many posts that Columbus Metro Area is very strong regionally.

Indianapolis Metro Area is a different story. It is not as dense and much more sprawling. Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers, and Greenwood all feel like separate cities. People in Indy suburbs have the mentality to avoid Indy due to crime and poverty. You don't get that sense in Columbus.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Don't give yourself so much credit. My comment was actually on the same page as you.

"They" not "you."
Cleveland is still the king of Ohio and then Cincy, I like Columbus but it is too much annexation and the suburban life for me although I am a big Buckeyes fan.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,107,035 times
Quote:
Cleveland is still the king of Ohio and then Cincy, I like Columbus but it is too much annexation and the suburban life for me although I am a big Buckeyes fan.
The amount of urban growth happening in Columbus right now is actually insane. For a mid-sized metro it actually has several attractive neighborhoods as options for urban living (old north columbus, italian village, harrison west, german village/brewery district, olde towne east, short north, arena district, gay street, merion village, university distrct/weinland park, victorian village, parts of Grandview etc.)

I know that people are going to ***** on this post and tell me how much more urban Cleveland and Cincy are. I am not attempting to make a comparison, just saying that if you don't want to live in the suburbs in Columbus than don't live in the burbs or a far out neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM

14,707 posts, read 14,685,480 times
The metro size of the three are all comparable at this point with Columbus' in-fill skyrocketing. Annexation hasn't taken place for a long time so that's not the reason for population increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio