Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM

61 posts, read 257,744 times

Advertisements

601, I have read what you were asking and the responses to the question. I am wondering who represents the congressional district that you live in. I am sure they are blame free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,959,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Gerrymandering has also helped to create districts that avoid pockets of liberals altogether. While the GOP overall will very likely be hurt in upcoming elections from all of this, many of the very people most responsible are probably safe because they represent very specifically drawn districts that include as many people as possible that are as crazy as they are.
Warren county and it's high number of republicans were a gift to Chabot to keep his job safe given he lost his seat in 2008.

I have voted Libertarian for over 20 years so don't blame me.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times
I read an article the other day and I can't seem to find it now. The reporter was interviewing constituents in Boehner's district and most of them felt sorry for him. At first I was surprised but then I thought, hey, these are the people who voted for him in the first place. Gerrymandering and running unopposed is what brought us here. Someone in district 8 has to stand up and run against him.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Some guy named Eric Gurr is running against Boehner in the primary, probably doesn't stand a chance unless large numbers of people vote.

Portman, Boehner and other RINOs voted for the deal that raised the debt limit, forced Obamacare down our throats and allows above sequester spending. (click below for vote breakdown list)

Wall of Shame: Republicans who voted to fund Obamacare, hike the Debt Ceiling

Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,417,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

Portman, Boehner and other RINOs voted for the deal that raised the debt limit, forced Obamacare down our throats and allows above sequester spending. (click below for vote breakdown list)

Wall of Shame: Republicans who voted to fund Obamacare, hike the Debt Ceiling
Woxy, you're not following the narrative. Remember, Boner is some extremist Republican who is representative of everything that is wrong with the world.

Also, gerrymandering explains only so much. We have to remember that most of this country(outside of large cities and college towns) is sparsely populated with people who actually agree with Boner and his ilk.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Woxy, you're not following the narrative. Remember, Boner is some extremist Republican.
Right now the fiscal conservatives and tea partiers are pissed off at him so if they were to show up next spring in large enough numbers he will be a lame duck speaker by mid March.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,926 times
Default I appreciate the insight

I appreciate the insight. Sounds like Ohio is hurting like most of the country I would have to say he apparently don't care for constituents.

I can't say that is exclusive to Boehner. A lot of them seem to be self serving or subservient to money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Hello View Post
I know you're not a troll because I've liked and repped many of your posts before. So, I guess I'll bite.

Thanks for lumping us all together, as if we're personally patting him on the back and thanking him for a government shut down. Never mind all the other representatives from other districts and states who are supporting him. Or all the other Fox News watching conservative tea party voters who supported their representatives. I guess I'll mention that I'm liberal and vote Dem most of the time, am absolutely disgusted with Boehner, and am personally affected by the shutdown. Just for full disclosure.

I live in the Dayton area -- just right outside where the district dips down into Montgomery county.

Some of the people in this area are military or work for the government and are struggling to feed their families. One of the food pantries actually moved its location temporarily to the base so that base workers could visit in order to feed their children. My dad, who served 22 years in the Air Force, now works as a gov't employee on Wright Pat AFB. During the shutdown he's working without a paycheck and is uncertain if he'll get backpay....and this is just as the sequester ended where he was furloughed w/o pay for many days. Before that he lost his job working for the auto industry, which went belly up around here after GM shut down their local plant during the recession. But yeah, no one around here is struggling or frustrated with the shutdown. I can assure you that many are suffering severe consequences from this.

I used to live in District 8 while I was in college in Butler county. The district is made up of mostly suburbs, small cities, and rural areas. I voted against Boehner, but my university had a healthy population of republicans for being a public school. Now I live a few miles east of the district boundary, but my congressional district is also represented by a republican.

The economy, job creation, and lower government spending/lower taxes are the number one issues around here.

SW Ohio, in general, is one of the most conservative parts of the state. It's moderately religious, has typical Midwestern family values, and is influenced just a bit by our Kentucky neighbors to the south and the families who migrated from Appalachia to this area for work. It seems that everyone around here is connected, or knows someone who is, to the military or to manufacturing. Like I mentioned, there are many people around here who have been greatly affected by the sequester, government shutdown, the recession, factories shutting down (especially those connected to the auto industry), the poor economy, the bailouts, and job loss/unemployment. They've voted based on who they think can give them the best chance of having a job or getting relief through lower taxes. I know one of the big issues with Obamacare is that enrollment is mandatory for the uninsured, and the monthly fee will really hurt families who are struggling just to survive currently, albeit sans healthcare. There are people on the fence in every election, but money, or specifically the lack of it, drew a lot of people to the republican party.

Around here we're all suffering just as much as the rest of the country, even those of us who did not vote for Boehner. So no, we're not going to "accept responsibility" for this. This is about grown men and women in Washington, still getting paid and with excellent healthcare mind you, who can't get their heads out of their @sses long enough to help the people they represent. Stop throwing the blame to the people in this area, some of whom are working without pay at the moment, and place it where it really belongs -- with an imperfect system of government and self serving politicians who are locked in a no win game of chicken.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:12 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,674,826 times
I'm represented by Boehner now that Springfield has been merged into his district. He certainly won't be voted out, and at this point he's the Republican I know, and has shown as Speaker while he has presided over one of the most ineffective Congressional sessions in American history, he will also stand up to the Tea Party after giving them their one shot (government shut-down) which ended in disaster.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 PM

Right now boner is actively campaigning to keep his job because he is being challenged in the primary and the tea party liberty fund is running a smear campaign on him to expose his liberation theology sympathies. There is a billboard that calls him "amnesty John" on 747 in Butler county, he is delaying a vote on amnesty for illegals until after the filing deadline so the RINOs can hand out citizenship on a silver platter.

I could care less that the lefties don't like him, they lost and need to get over it. The real problem is that he broke promises to the conservative majority in his district and now they are experiencing buyers remorse. I seriously hope he loses in the republican primary because it will send a message to all the other moderate RINOs to grow a set and do what is right for America. Boner is a crybaby "weeper of the house" who makes America look weak.

Republicans in elected office need to ask What would Reagan do? And not What would Karl Rove want me to do? When making decisions, K street money and neo-cons are killing this country.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 AM

14,699 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Ahhh, the chickens (gerrymandered districts) are coming come to roost. Nonetheless, I have much to say to woxyroxme's post, but this is not a politics forum so will refrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio