Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Last Fall (I believe in late-October) my partner and I stumbled upon White House Fruit Farm entirely by accident while exploring nearby Youngstown, OH for a day-trip. Coming from Pittsburgh we had heard nothing but bad things about Mahoning County in general but were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful of a time we had. Our highlight was indeed this huge country farm market on the outskirts of Canfield.

Anyhow, I'm off work this Sunday, and we are planning to return. Can anyone tell me what's currently "in season" at the market? Anything in particular we shouldn't miss? We love the cider donuts, and if I remember correctly there was also some great old-fashioned candies to be had, too. I think you could also help yourself to a cup of cider and pay a nominal fee into a plastic cup "on the honor system". I forget most of the market, but we can't wait to return.

So, folks in NEO, what's new with White House Fruit Farm? Anything else in Canfield/Youngstown we shouldn't miss? We're considering heading back to the Butler Institute of Art again, as well as to the public gardens in town (forget their name).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,478 times
White House Fall Celebration Weekends​​
Every weekend starting September 28 – October 20​
Saturdays 10 am – 4 pm​
Sundays noon – 4 pm
While you are out that way check out Haus's farm market, not so commercial. An hour and a half away is Amish country in Berlin, Charm and Sugarcreek which I really enjoy. There are sooo many things to do there. Kiem Lumber and all the small shops in Charm make it a wonderful experience. Rogers farm market is always a hoot if you are in town on Friday. I recommend Steamers in North Lima, the Springfield Grill in Boardman or the Tokyo House on South Avenue in Ytown if you want a good dining experience. If you are in Youngstown be sure to check out the gardens in Mill Creek Park. Have Fun.....

Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I have never been to the White House Fruit Farm, but it sounds as though I'd enjoy a visit. The Fall celebrations sound like something I'd really enjoy.

We took a day trip to Middlefield. It's in Amish country and at 5 PM, rush hour, there was as much traffic caused by buggies as cars. We had lunch at an Amish restaurant - Mary Yoder's, and then took a walk around the guaint village. Many pretty older homes with well kept gardens.

Canfield, and Poland both have a very New England vibe. Not surprising since the area was settled by people from Connecticut.

The Butler is a first class smaller museum. I have been their several times and I always notice something new. While in Youngstown have lunch and a Great Lakes beer at the Lemon Grove restaurant. Dine al fesco while the weather still permits.

Greyland in Youngstown is a kind of cross between an antique shop, hip thrift shop and gathering place. Lots of moderately priced mid century furniture, vintage clothes, paintings and sculptures by local artists and cool people.
I think that you and your partner would enjoy it.

Warren is also worth a visit! The area North of Market St. - called Northmar has a stock of beautiful twentieth century homes dating from the 20s through early 50s. Beautifully maintained Tudor mansionettes, large brick neo-Colonials with slate roofs and traditional solid white clapboard homes, most of which are kept meticulously; are what you will find in this "Leave it to Beaver" type neighborhood. This area was once home to GM executives. It is still solidly middle to upper middle class. It is situated near the Trumbull Country Club.

While in Warren, you might be interested in visiting the Packard Museum in downtown Warren. The Packard automobile was an elegant and well styled car, in the early part of the last century and it was manufactured right here in Warren.

There are a plethora of stately buildings in the Historic District. Millionaires Row in on Mahoning Avenue. You can pick up a brochure that will guide you in a walking tour at the Trumbull County Historical Society, 321 Mahoning Avenue. Some restored homes that I'd recommend include the Harriet Taylor Upton House, a Victorian built in the then popular Egyptian Revival style. This home once served as the home of the National Women's Suffrage Movement. The Perkins Mansion (1871) was built in the Romaesque style and features a stained glass skylight. The Kinsman house (1833)in a Greek revival Victorian. Also in the historic district is the Trumbull County Court House. Built in the Romanesque Style, this structure was added to the National Register of Historic Sites in the 1970s

The First Presbyterian Church of Warren is an architectural standout and a formidable monument to Calvinism and the work ethic. The towering steeple soars over 200 feet into towards the heavens and is a visible and imposing neo-Gothic structure.

If all of this walking finds you a little bit hungry, stop at the Sunrise Inn an unassuming restaurant with good food, much of it Italian. Seafood, meat, and sandwiches are also available. It's been a Warren institution for over eighty years.

Have fun!

Last edited by sheena12; 09-11-2013 at 03:24 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Sheena's post is pretty good, but I must point out that the Lemon Grove downtown has been having issues, lately. For a short time, they became a BBQ place, and now they are something else, named "Knox" So, a recommendation for the old Lemon Grove wouldn't apply. I haven't been to the new place, since the name change, so don't know what it would be like. Depending on day of the week, and time of day, there are plenty of other options--some with al fresco dining options--in downtown Youngstown, though.

Also, you're probably thinking of Fellows Riverside Gardens (Mill Creek Metroparks | Fellows Riverside Gardens) within Mill Creek Park. (Home | Mill Creek MetroParks)

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Sheena's post is pretty good, but I must point out that the Lemon Grove downtown has been having issues, lately. For a short time, they became a BBQ place, and now they are something else, named "Knox" So, a recommendation for the old Lemon Grove wouldn't apply. I haven't been to the new place, since the name change, so don't know what it would be like. Depending on day of the week, and time of day, there are plenty of other options--some with al fresco dining options--in downtown Youngstown, though.

Also, you're probably thinking of Fellows Riverside Gardens (Mill Creek Metroparks | Fellows Riverside Gardens) within Mill Creek Park. (Home | Mill Creek MetroParks)

I saw that JR_C. Knox was empty when I went, but my son told me that it hasn't closed down just moved to another location. I'll ask him exactly where. It has a habit of relocation. Since I have become acquainted with Ne Oh, it has moved once before, yet retained it's loyal following of students, professors, visiting parents and locals.

The first time I "misplaced" Lemon Grove, I was slightly upset and confused. Then I found it again and it was all good.

What are some other ai fresco dining options that you would recommend?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
The Lemon Grove originally opened where O'Donald's Irish Pub is now located. Then, the owner of the LG bought the building that it moved into. The owner of LG brought in the BBQ guys to run the kitchen, but that didn't work out, apparently. Now, the owner of LG brought in a new manager to run "Knox." I haven't been there, in it's new incarnation to know what their menu is like. I say all of that only because the Lemon Grove that you knew really is gone.

Most restaurants downtown have al fresco seating available. Roberto's, V2, and O'Donald's seem to be most popular.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
You have to try the blueberry donuts at Whitehouse. You should also check out the Museum of Labor and Industry and The Arms Museum (an arts and crafts mansion near the Butler).

I second a trip to Warren. The Trumbull County Courthouse is beautiful. You have to try Brier Hill Pizza (they call it Old World) at The Sunrise Inn and some chili dogs at The Hot Dog Shoppe. The Mocha House is a great place to grab lunch or a coffee. I love their delicious desserts, try the California Cheesecake. Mosquito Lake State Park is nearby and a nice place to take a walk or camp overnight. You might also like the newly remodeled Best Western on Courthouse Square, it's from the 1800s and has some great reviews online since the remodel a year or two ago.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Thanks so much for all of your help thus far! I was certainly not expecting such an overwhelming amount of advice and have been pleasantly surprised! We're only looking to day-trip this Sunday---not do an overnighter. I live only about an hour and fifteen minutes away, so that's well within my comfort zone for a day-trip.

I definitely plan to grab an array of donuts at the farm. We've had the apple cider ones in the past and loved them, and I look forward to trying blueberry! That California Cheesecake and hot dog place in Warren sound like great bets for a late-lunch followed by dessert! The Butler is open very limited hours on Sundays (I think 12-4, but I'll have to double-check), so if we do that we'll have to plan accordingly.

Loving the advice! Keep it coming! We want to day-trip in NEO more frequently.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Your not that far away. Several day trips with a planned route would show you the best things to see. I would start at White House, then down 224 to Mill Creek Park to the Steel Museum or whatever they call it now, to The Butler. Doable in 1 day.

I would also add the Howland branch of The Butler. Small but sometimes good things are brought there. The outdoor sculpture were done by Meryl Streep's husband. I used to live about 100 yards from there. It is right off 82. One trip could be Howland Butler, down Market to downtown Warren and up Mahoning to the Historic houses to the Packard Museum. Then straight north to the 5 bypass to get back to 11. Side trips( a block or 2) could be the other Packard mansion, and The Hot Dog Shop ( which some people like but I am partial to Jib Jab in Girard.)

Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Jib Jab and The Hot Dog Shoppe are owned by the same people and taste the same, but I like the atmosphere in Warren better, you can't beat the original!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio