Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:03 PM

145 posts, read 193,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
NO. You would need 900 magnitude 4.0 earthquakes to equal the energy released by just one 6.0. You're severely overestimating the release of energy and stress caused by small earthquakes over time.
1 down, 899 to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:14 PM

442 posts, read 540,086 times
I'm less worried about the quakes and more worried about the toxic chemicals released by fracking. Ask the folks of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. how that's going. Cancer rates are skyrocketing, toxic levels of chemicals are hundreds of times their normal levels in the air etc. even far from wells.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM

145 posts, read 193,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Ask the folks of North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. how that's going. Cancer rates are skyrocketing,
Can you provide any links to any statistically valid studies that show increased incidence of cancer in those fraking areas?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
My biggest concern is the injection wells in Ohio. We had 11 earthquakes in the same area in Youngstown last year, the last occurring on New Years Eve. On Friday the state shut down 5 wells in our area. Here's a recent article that is valid to the argument: Youngstown News, Fracking - Special Coverage

Quote:
Environmental regulators have levied violations against D&L for administrative flaws such as a failure to display a permit but also for environmental mistakes such as water and soil contamination and pollution.

Injection wells, a byproduct of fracking, have been linked to small earthquakes and often are targeted for other environmental concerns.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
Can you provide any links to any statistically valid studies that show increased incidence of cancer in those fraking areas?
And this is how it is going to go folks......if you can't prove 100% in a court of law that fracking and injection wells ruined your water, cracked the foundation of your home, or gave your child cancer......too bad for you.

When you file for bankruptcy because your home is now worthless and you can no longer pay your kid's medical bills.....you can soothe yourself with the fact that the "players" are raking in tons of money from their shale investments.

Oh.....and IF, and that is a big IF.....the environmental damage can be cleaned up......don't expect the owners and investors who made the big money to pay for it. The taxpayers, you, will pay for it.....just like they paid to clean up the landfill out in Leavittsburg.

Last edited by Annie53; 01-02-2012 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
My biggest concern is the injection wells in Ohio. We had 11 earthquakes in the same area in Youngstown last year, the last occurring on New Years Eve. On Friday the state shut down 5 wells in our area. Here's a recent article that is valid to the argument: Youngstown News, Fracking - Special Coverage
Did you feel the quake, CortlandGirl?

This whole fracking thing needs to be in review which the state currently is doing. With a governor like Kasich though, I can see this getting really bad really quick. On that note, forget the Dakotas and Oklahoma or any of the other states in the middle of the country, look in Ohio's back yard in Pennsylvania where residents' wells and water have a terrible smell to them, and I believe one report of a well catching fire...

This can really be a boom; they have to do it right though.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Yea, they have to do it right.

Looking at D & L's history......I guess it must pay off to do it wrong.

Fining companies pennies on the dollar for doing something wrong just doesn't work, does it?

If you really want things done right, we need some major changes.

Specifically, the punishment involved when something is done wrong.

What am I talking about? Jail time......MAJOR jail time.

Those who are responsible for seeing that things are done right.....from the foreman on up.....should have a real good reason to make sure that things are done the way they are supposed to be done......like not wanting to end up in prison.

IMO, that is the only way you are going to be sure that things are "done right".

BTW, the experts have said that the earthquakes around Youngstown were caused by D & L's well.

Some property owners did have damages to their homes. Has anyone read anywhere that D & L is stepping up to pay those home owners for the repairs to their homes?

Didn't think so.

The home owners who are damaged by these wells are going to be s**t out of luck period. THAT is one thing you will be able to count on.

Like I said earlier, good luck trying to prove 100% in a court of law that one of these wells ruined your water or damaged your home. YOU will be left to deal with the damages while the investors in these wells are rolling in money.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Traveler, surprisingly I didn't feel it, but i know a lot of people that did. I think I heard it, but i was on the phone and thought it was a car on the street outside. I had a truck driver come into work the other day from Ontario and he said he felt it in Toronto!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Traveler, surprisingly I didn't feel it, but i know a lot of people that did. I think I heard it, but i was on the phone and thought it was a car on the street outside. I had a truck driver come into work the other day from Ontario and he said he felt it in Toronto!
I heard that it was felt all the way into Canada.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Angry May we be damned for our greed!

I company has been trying to get us to sign a lease agreement for some land my best halfs family has in Pa, but we won't because we don't want to be a part of the problem of a families drinking water being polluted by their fracking and chemicals. Just so the oil company can make a profit.

And it's found that the employment numbers they have published are wrong, not even half of that is more the truth. WNPR news has been on top of this since the start and I'd be more apt to listen to them then I would any other news media.

It's sad that we as a nation are so willing to destroy our own land and the lives of people that live on it for the sake of a "BUCK". History seems to be repeating it's self as to what we did to the true "Native Americans" and now we're doing it to ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio