Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 PM

33 posts, read 197,691 times

Advertisements

^that's it. It's massive and a great place to tour. I usually go there for the Islamic festival in the summer.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM

I grew up in Ohio (born in Toledo raised in Waterville).

Did you go to Anthony Wayne? I went there myself for high school and some of junior high.

I remember really liking one of the parks in Waterville along the river. I can't remember the name, but it was my favorite part of Waterville. I think it may have been part of the metropark system.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 AM

51 posts, read 276,461 times
me too, i agree

Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM

134 posts, read 439,052 times
You really can't compare Toledo to Cumberland, MD because the places are vastly different. Sure, western Maryland has low education levels and is part of Appalachia. A think a better comparison to Cumberland would be places like Steubenville or East Liverpool. A better comparison to the Toledo metro area would be Baltimore's metro area. When I did my comparison, Baltimore County has more college grads (% wise) than Lucas County. In fact, some of the most educated places in the country are in Maryland. Interestingly, for the most part, Appalachain Maryland is also better educated than Appalachain Ohio.

This thread caught my eye because I spent short amounts of time in Maryland and Ohio as a young child. I agree that the OP was very harsh on Ohio, but on the same token, it isn't fair to be equally harsh on Maryland by making fun of the residents.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM

I personally have nothing against Maryland and I like Appalachia (whether in Maryland, PA, Ohio, West Virgina, etc.). In terms of accent, the Maryland accent is considered less desirable in broadcast and radio, but that's no big deal to me. Parts of Northwest Ohio like Findlay and Tiffin are some of the only places where people speak flat English. Toledo is more Michigan.

Baltimore is great to me btw, and I can see obvious geographic similarities to Toledo, though New Orleans and Savannah actually are the closest to Toledo (swampy, flat, downtowns on wide rivers, large coastal area at edge of city, huge marsh complexes, etc., etc.).

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM

16 posts, read 78,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
I grew up in Ohio (born in Toledo raised in Waterville).

Did you go to Anthony Wayne? I went there myself for high school and some of junior high.

I remember really liking one of the parks in Waterville along the river. I can't remember the name, but it was my favorite part of Waterville. I think it may have been part of the metropark system.
Pilliod,
yes, I graduated from Anthony Wayne, a LONG time ago...way back in 1973.
The park was called Farnsworth Park and it is part of the metroparks. My brother still lives in Waterville and raised his family there. He retired from the metroparks 3 years ago.
Waterville has grown a lot from when I lived there. It was a really nice small town to grow up in, in the 60's & 70's.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:26 AM

34 posts, read 132,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Aside from that, they have their own native language here. For example, instead of a “vacuum” it is called a sweeper. Sweepers are machine guns or brooms, not vacuums. When you say “thank you” to an Ohioan, all you get is “YEP”. “Your welcome” is not in their vocabulary. Also, soda here is called “POP”, A pop is a noise, not a softdrink. (I know, grow up, but these are pet peeves)
OMG I haven't heard 'sweeper' used in terms of vacuuming in over 40 years. I'm from Jersey and that's what my mother called it. First time I ever heard soda being referred to as 'pop' was in Oklahoma in the 70's. Thanks for the memories OneWay.

sweeper - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 16,658 times
what? I was born in KY, lived in OHIO, I have never, ever said YUP to a Thank you from someone, how rude would that be? yes come on to AZ the weather is fine lol, here soon it be a nice dry sandy 110 for days on end. and the People? they are soooooooooooo friendly, that is if they ever come out of the cars and houses! haha, be interesting to see oneways review of AZ,.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 16,658 times
Default GroovyMomma you are so right

you will not know your neighbors in AZ if you happen to land in a house with the typical AZ residents, not Transplants like yourself. It is very strange, kids don't mingle and play outside. You have to take you kids places and put them in a social suituations, they won't be able to just (find) friends.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,772,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grankat3 View Post
Pilliod,
yes, I graduated from Anthony Wayne, a LONG time ago...way back in 1973.
The park was called Farnsworth Park and it is part of the metroparks. My brother still lives in Waterville and raised his family there. He retired from the metroparks 3 years ago.
Waterville has grown a lot from when I lived there. It was a really nice small town to grow up in, in the 60's & 70's.
I grew up in Waterville too - on River Road (our property backed up to the Maumee River). Also graduated from Anthony Wayne High School! It WAS a safe, idealic, friendly town to grow up in. After living there (and Bowling Green) for 24 years I couldn't wait to leave and go somewhere "more exciting". Well, I have lived in Charelston, SC for 23 years and while I love living and teaching here, I wish I could have raised my son in Waterville. I think it will always be "home" to me. Remember the Waterville Festival and Roche de Beufe (sp?) Day every year....and the summer park and recreation program behind the library? And getting a milkshake at Herb's or the Dairy Korner? We could ride our bikes around town and to our friends' houses all day and our parents always knew where we were but never had to worry about us. Talk about the perfect "Smalltown USA!" - Waterville was it! I guess it has expanded quite a bit now so I don't know if it still has that same flavor as it did in the 60's and 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio