Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,426,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I agree, property taxes are significantly higher in Florida, so unless they moved there and rented - which even w/a high income it's usually a recommended thing to rent for a year to get to know the area - they would be making big bucks to see that kind of savings as you pointed out. Which if they do make that kind of money, I doubt they'll be renting for long!
Compared to where in Ohio? There are a number of communities in Cuyahoga Co. that have pretty high taxes. My property taxes in Lakewood were twice what my brother was paying in unincorporated Hamilton Co. for a similarly priced home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,042,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Compared to where in Ohio? There are a number of communities in Cuyahoga Co. that have pretty high taxes. My property taxes in Lakewood were twice what my brother was paying in unincorporated Hamilton Co. for a similarly priced home.
You are right, I should have said property taxes combined w/property insurance is definitely higher in Florida, but there are some locales in Ohio as you pointed out that have very high property taxes.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,709,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
I have seen estimates of total tax burden claiming that Ohio is anywhere from a total of 2.3% to 3.0% higher than Florida. Even if we assume it's in the high range (at 3.0% higher) then Squirrel would have to over $1.3 million per year. Of course, since she simply said "We moved to Florida and saved ourselves $40,000 a yr." I'd assume she took into account other factors such as the fact that her homeowners insurance just skyrocketed and her cost of living index just went way up due to the fact that the cost of living in Florida is about 5% higher than Ohio and average salaries are lower, pushing the yearly salary required to obtain $40k in savings well over $2 million.

It's not impossible, but I don't think it's a reality many of us face.
Nobody making 2 million a year is going to worry about saving $162 on GEICO car insurance. This is the thread where she is doing just that. https://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...ance-help.html

This is her exact quote.

"Well, DNTW8UP is officially my hero for suggesting Geico ! I got all the quotes in from eveyone's suggetions and Geico wins hands down! I am going to save $162 a MONTH!!!! Woooo Hoooooo!

THANK YOU to DNTW8UP and thanks to everyone else who helped me with their info.

This should teach us all...SHOP AROUND!

Watch me do the happy camper dance"

My opinion is that she was just another bitter person looking for a reason to hate Ohio.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM

103 posts, read 434,251 times
THank you for all of that helpful information.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,843 times
Default Taxes, housing and such

Prices in my area (South Columbus) have taken a hit. Most people I talk to have taken the same hit. Franklin co. has overvalued our houses for tax reasons and devalued them for financing. I don't understand this. But the house I bought for 95k originally listed at 120k in my area with many others around at the same price. After the housing collapse my house is now taxed at the same price for 120k, but recently was sent a letter that it was only worth 68k. NO finacer will touch my loan, but finally MY bank did lower the price and re finance. My property taxes HAVE NOT gone down, only up. But hey Franklin Co./ City of Columbus did do capital improvement. They put in sidewalks down the main streets and upgraded the local Rec center. Then came down our street at the height of the drought last summer and planted trees down our street, between the sidewalk and street under the power lines. (Fortunately or Unfortunately) Most of the trees have died last count out of 10 trees we have one alive with buds. My taxes are quickly and friviously spend. I could not get my money back from my house now even if I wanted. Good thing I was forced to walk to work, it saves me on gas prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio