Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

98 posts, read 318,052 times

Advertisements

We are a family with young children that are homeschooled. My husband may be transferred down with his job to Ocala so we would be making the move from Illinois. We were down in Ocala a few months ago in the Marion Oaks area and thought it was nice. Now, after reading this forum I am starting to freak out! We are from a smaller town here so used to driving to get where we need to go. We are looking for a nice smaller type town with reasonable prices.....not the 200,000 for a 2 bedroom cookie cutter house we have here.
What are other areas in Ocala to look into? Thanks! We will rent at first and need a 3 bedroom. Don't want to pay more than 850 for rent if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
I suggest you do rent before buying a home in Ocala or anywhere else. I personally like the city of Ocala but we have no children to concern us and only spend the winter in the area. We stay out in Belleview where it's like country once off the main roads, quiet and plenty of shopping close by.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
OP, I suggest you search somewhere outside of Marion Oaks. There are several areas that I feel are more family friendly. An area that you could rent in is Fore Ranch so that you could get to know the area better to make a decision later to buy a home. Hope this is useful.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

9 posts, read 26,698 times
It seems family-friendly enough to me. Aside from the fact that people seem to be too lazy to drive to the dump and instead leave their refuse in my woods, I've never found anything really wrong with the place. It also seems unfair to say that gangs control the basketball courts, as all I've ever seen at most was a bunch of guys playing a game, and they're pretty courteous anyway.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM

403 posts, read 935,708 times
I lived in Ocala for two years and am now thinking of moving back with my one year old. Ocala is a very small town...one movie theater, high unemployment, no upscale shopping, and a very slow feel. However, my husband and I found everything we needed there. And anytime we felt like we wanted big city amenities we took day trips to Tampa or Orlando. If we wanted to see the ocean, we took a day trip to Daytona. If we wanted to be around a college town, we took a drive to Gainesville to get lunch. I loved the proximity to everything. There are bad neighborhoods but they are easy to stay away from. I think $850 is very reasonable for rent. We rented a 2 bedroom for $825 although this was a few years ago. One thing I hated about the area was that our neighbors let their dogs run free quite frequently. These were pit bulls and rotties. Sometimes I would be stuck in the house while I waited for a roaming dog to leave my yard. Also the bugs are a mess down there. If you are like me, always have a phone book or large book ready to squash them. Little tree frogs would cover our door during certain times (and would sadly get stuck in the door jamb). Swarms of love bugs making it impossible to be outside. Yuck!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 AM

486 posts, read 654,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I lived in Ocala for two years and am now thinking of moving back with my one year old. Ocala is a very small town...one movie theater, high unemployment, no upscale shopping, and a very slow feel. However, my husband and I found everything we needed there. And anytime we felt like we wanted big city amenities we took day trips to Tampa or Orlando. If we wanted to see the ocean, we took a day trip to Daytona. If we wanted to be around a college town, we took a drive to Gainesville to get lunch. I loved the proximity to everything. There are bad neighborhoods but they are easy to stay away from. I think $850 is very reasonable for rent. We rented a 2 bedroom for $825 although this was a few years ago. One thing I hated about the area was that our neighbors let their dogs run free quite frequently. These were pit bulls and rotties. Sometimes I would be stuck in the house while I waited for a roaming dog to leave my yard. Also the bugs are a mess down there. If you are like me, always have a phone book or large book ready to squash them. Little tree frogs would cover our door during certain times (and would sadly get stuck in the door jamb). Swarms of love bugs making it impossible to be outside. Yuck!
Ocala is a small town? Try 60,000+. Marion County is larger than the whole state of Rhode Island. How long ago were you here? We have several movie theaters, 5 Walmarts (I know, not upscale), Paddock Mall with Macy's, etc., more shopping than you can get done in a day. You can rent a nice 3 bedroom house here for $750 a month and furnish it through the myriad of furniture stores, thrift shops, and 3, count 'em, 3 flea markets. I can point you to stores that will sell you a couch for $10,000 or one that will sell you one for $50.

High crime areas are Marion Oaks and Silver Springs Shores. That may be where you had your dog problem. We do have animal control and all you have to do is pick up the phone to call them. Love bugs are only around for 2 weeks in May and September and since it's been so dry there are no "swarms" any more. I haven't seen a roach (but I do tend to keep my kitchen clean), snake, or alligator outside captivity since I moved here 3 years ago.

I would suggest you rent, though, for a while until you decide what part of the county you want to live in. I don't recommend Dunnellon (lived there 2 years before buying my current home in SW Ocala) as there seems to be a lot of drugs and trashy people there. The county publishes a booklet once a year with all the sex offenders in it and there are a lot in Dunnellon!

Good luck on your move.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM

I lived in Philly most of my life so yes Ocala is a small town. I honestly don't know how anyone can classify it as otherwise. The Paddock Mall is the only "real" mall. I do not consider Walmart and fleamarkets to be excellent shopping venues. I know they built an outside mall nearby since I left and that was the talk of the town while I lived there. And yes I kept my house clean but those big black roaches are not from a dirty house. We lived in SW Ocala across from the Paddock Mall...not a high crime area. Animal control was called several times and did nothing. Sorry but your viewpoint is obviously very different from mine. No need for sarcasm and your post came off as attacking my point of view which is very tacky.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 AM

98 posts, read 318,052 times
Thanks for the opinions, etc. What are the good zip codes to look in? Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I lived in Philly most of my life so yes Ocala is a small town. I honestly don't know how anyone can classify it as otherwise. The Paddock Mall is the only "real" mall. I do not consider Walmart and fleamarkets to be excellent shopping venues. I know they built an outside mall nearby since I left and that was the talk of the town while I lived there. And yes I kept my house clean but those big black roaches are not from a dirty house. We lived in SW Ocala across from the Paddock Mall...not a high crime area. Animal control was called several times and did nothing. Sorry but your viewpoint is obviously very different from mine. No need for sarcasm and your post came off as attacking my point of view which is very tacky.
Gee, you've been gone 5 years then.
I dont know if I would post derogatory comments about a town that I hadnt lived in for 5 years, and then have the temerity to complain when someone called me out for my lack of knowledge of what I was speaking of.
Just sayin'.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Gee, another snarky post from someone. I loved the city. Said I would even want to go back. But it is a small city. I honestly don't know why anyone took any offense to my post. Actually your Location is listed as "slocala" and has a "sigh" listed next to it. Gee, that seems to be a slight on the city too. Should I get offended at that??? I don't need to be "called out" for anything. I am entitled to my opinion too. Sorry, but your post is just as tacky.

ETA: Don't waste your time replying as you are on my ignore list and I am not wasting my time defending my post any longer.

To the original poster: I am sorry that the thread become sort of argumentative. My post was in no way meant to start a debate. Good luck to you!

Last edited by deeni; 05-02-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala