Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 17,012 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Island from San Diego in July. We're looking for a reliable and not too expensive way to ship our things. I realize that we're going to have to get rid of most of our things, but some things have to go with us. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also any suggestions on where to live on the Island are welcome. He has a job that will take him all over the island, and I am in the medical field so I can work most anywhere. Again, your ideas are appreciated.

Thanks ,
Babee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 05:28 PM

33 posts, read 157,182 times
Doesn't seem like many takers to your post. Pity because I'd like to know as well. Any joy finding anything out? It seems a 20' container is about $5000 and add $1200 for each car from Long Beach.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,275,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babee View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Island from San Diego in July. We're looking for a reliable and not too expensive way to ship our things. I realize that we're going to have to get rid of most of our things, but some things have to go with us. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Also any suggestions on where to live on the Island are welcome. He has a job that will take him all over the island, and I am in the medical field so I can work most anywhere. Again, your ideas are appreciated.

Thanks ,
Babee
What are you shipping? If it's just a few small items that won't fit into a suitcase, the U.S. Mail is could be a way to go. For bulkier items (up to 5400 lbs) an LD8 container on Hawaiian Airlines runs about $1800, while a smaller LD2 container is about $900. However, you'll have to load and unload the containers yourself. For vehicles, there's Pasha, Horizon, and Matson. At $975, Pasha probably has the best rates to ship a vehicle from San Diego to Honolulu.

It terms of where to live on O'ahu, what's your budget and do you intend to rent or buy a place?

Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,270 times
Default Ld-2?

Who do you contact to find out how/where/when to load an LD-2 conatiner?

I am also moving to Oahu at the beginning of July. My rent range is abour 700-1200...preferrably lower than higher, but the location is important to me. Somehwhat safe area and a short drive to the beach.

Any neighborhoods to stay away from?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 AM

795 posts, read 2,302,148 times
Talking stay far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroleau View Post

Any neighborhoods to stay away from?
My neighborhood...

Old 04-22-2007, 01:16 AM

795 posts, read 2,302,148 times
Talking Moveing moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by babee View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Island
Thanks ,
Babee
In 1997 I had American Van Lines bring out a 20 foot SeaLand container (now Horizon Lines) and shipped my stuff's on a SeaLand vessel. Drove my E-150 to Tacoma and had it shipped via SL at a cost of $750.00, all moving charges paid for by the local taxpayers of course. TKS folks.

Listen up Matson Navigation Company; you still owe me some $350.00 transportation from the SS Kauai.

Pasha, learn something new daily, never heard of it. http://www.pashahawaii.com/

Old 04-29-2007, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 17,012 times
Thanks for the info Johah K. I'll contact Hawaiian Airlines tomorrow. We intend to rent at first. We'd like to keep it under $1800. We all our kids are grown, but we'll have my mother with us, so we need a 2-3 bedroom. Do you know how I can find a reputable property management company?
Thanks again!
Babee

Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 AM

17 posts, read 205,723 times
If you haven't yet, check honoluluadvertiser.com -- they have the classifieds with rentals in them. I'm no expert, but I think you're talking a studio at your low end and maybe an older town house (~1000 sq ft) at your upper end. Forget about single family except maybe in Kalihi.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:14 AM

19 posts, read 174,218 times
Default Wondering

Do you have any information on areas to look for on Maui for a family of 5? Budget not to exceed 2400.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:11 AM

259 posts, read 1,919,620 times
also, ck craigslist.com for rentals.....you'll save about a third through us mail.....your boxes cannot exceed 165 in (width and length combined)....you might find a rental for what you want to spend in ewa beach (bad, bad commute though)....definitly stay away from kalihi, waianaie.....living quarters on the island will be very different than what your used to in san diego for sure.....oh and save lots and lots of money!.. to sheri.;..man i wish i would have seen your rental when we moved here...were paying 3500 for a three bed two bath....yikes!.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: