Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 42,403 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

I'm moving to Honolulu later in the summer (my boyfriend already moved a week ago, new job). We have a 10 year old daughter now in private school (California). I've been pulling my hairs out since everyone seems to think Hawaii public schools are a joke and yet the private schools are very expensive. I have to say though that the more I research, I discovered that most of the catholic schools are just what I'm paying in California. BTW, we aren't catholic or overly religious and have had no issues with her being in a catholic school here.

However, we had already started looking at the next best option -- charter schools. Turns out there is a little elementary school in Kailua, ( http://www.lanikaielementary.com/OurSchool2.html) that I just called and they have some openings. (Don't you all rush there now, he he). Seems to have excellent reviews, and they say their students have no problem being accepted in private schools, and that if they have to leave to go to a public school, they have to enter the "Talented Students" program, or something like that.

So has anyone had any experience with Lanikai? Is it really at that level of private schools there? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Anybody know anything about this school from an experience perspective?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 PM

62 posts, read 332,580 times
Hi there,

I can't help you with information about the Lanikai charter school - but know that Lanikai is a lovely upscale area in Kailua. I am sure that as public schools in Hawaii go, it is very good. I do know that for public charter schools you must go to the local public school in your district (so you would have to be living in Hawaii) and apply for a G.E. for your child. Whether or not you are allowed to transfer in depends if there are spaces at that time.

Another public school that I have heard is one of the best is Aina Haina Elementary in East Honolulu.

My child attends a Catholic school here (after coming from a private school on the mainland). We have been very happy with it. We are not Catholic, but simply picked the school because it seemed the like the best fit for our child. Definitely visit each of the schools you are considering once you are living here and I am sure you will find something that works for your child.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 PM

62 posts, read 332,580 times
Fogot to add in my previous post that many schools - both public and private - start the first week of August. Just a heads up since you said you plan to move during summer. We moved in mid-July then had to scramble to get uniforms, school supplies, etc. Again, good luck!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks a lot Flowermom. Yes I just found out that most schools there start 3 weeks earlier than what we're used to here, and I plan to be there sooner because of that. I am also considering a catholic school (St Anns) that seems to have great reviews.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM

21 posts, read 86,687 times
We moved to Oahu in October of 2006 and rented a house in Kailua, and have now been here almost 3 years. Our youngest daughter was in 5th grade and oldest in 7th at the time of our move. The house we rented was one block from the Lanikai PCSndistricted area. Our neighbor was a 6th grade teacher there, and all the kids on our street got geographic exceptions to go there. Here's the hitch...... they don't accept students after the school year begins unless they are living in a home in that school district. They would not accept even a military student on a what they call a GE (geographic exception). My daughter had to go to Kailua Elementary for 5th grade. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Lanikai. She did however, get the GE for 6th grade and she went to Lanikai. It's a very good school with lots of parental involvement and wonderful programs. It was really like going to a private school. The only negative thing I could say at all, was that the lunches were expensive. They are not on the public school lunch system and it was $4.00 a day, plus you had to sign up for a month at a time. My daughter brought her lunch every day!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi basketbiznis,

Thanks for that helpful response. I'm so glad you think so highly of the school, because I got a good feeling about it too. I've spoken to them, and they have our application and they've let us know she has a spot available there. I've heard only great things about this school. Right now my child is in private school so I'm used to paying the expensive lunches or I just pack her lunch most days. My only concern is their (Lanikai) day seems to end pretty early.

BTW, we are also looking for a rental home in Kailua, although my boyfriend seems to have fallen in love with a little town called Aikahi. Not sure if that is too far from Kailua, but I'll be willing to do a long drive for a good school. Another option of a place he likes is Kaneohe. Anyway, if you don't mind giving me more ideas and tips of places to live, even via pm, I'd highly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,990 times
I know the thread is a few years old, but wanted to add a few comments about the Aikahi Park neighborhood. It is in the north part of Kailua town just outside the Marine Corps Base Kaneohe. Here are some of the reasons why this neighborhood is so sought after:
1. Aikahi Elem is a great school with a very involved PTA. Lots of military kids from the base as well as families who rent or bought homes in Aikahi or Kalaheo Hillside neighborhood. The playground is hugely popular and is a kid's dream come true - always packed on weekends with families and it's nicely shaded.
2. Quiet neighborhood with very wide streets - AP is essentially a loop neighborhood so there's no through traffic, though people do park on the loop for access to the school baseball and soccer fields.
3. It's one of the more pricey neighborhoods in Kailua, so most of the homes have nice curb appeal. Typical 3 BR 2 BA 1,800 sqft remodeled home will run in the low-upper 900Ks depending on whether it has a pool or not and how up to date it is. Rent for similar home will be about $3,300-$3,600 including yard and pool service. Some owners have been building rental units or renting bedrooms out to make extra cash, which has increased traffic and made some of these houses look more junky, not to mention it all being illegal, I believe.
4. Super easy access to freeway and major roads to go into Honolulu. This is in contrast to the southern parts of Kailua Town and Lanikai where residents there need an extra 10-15 minutes just to get out of Kailua.
5. Presence of a Fire station in AP makes home insurance cheaper.
6. Aikahi Shopping center has Safeway, Chevron, Burger King, nail and hair salons, wine, coffee shops and a great Korean restaurant (Willow Tree).
7. There are several beach accesses within 0.5 mile of AP and you can hear the ocean at night and early morning.
8. Aikahi Loop (exactly 1 mile)is great for families to walk dogs, kids to bike and runners to jog. We love taking walks at night under bright stars, strong tradewinds always blowing accompanied by sound of the ocean.
9. President Obama vacations a stone's throw away from AP across the canal - so there are frequent sightings of the POTUS caravan when the First Family is in town.
10. The homes in Aikahi are built on concrete slabs with concrete block walls so termites are not as much of a threat.
11. Lots of active duty and retired military live in AP since it is so convenient to have the Marine base stores and grocery stores so close.
12. Crime in Aikahi Park is much lower than in other parts of Kailua (i.e. Coconut Grove, Kalama - all closer to town center and more densely spaced)

Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM

21 posts, read 86,687 times
I agree with everything you said, and the location and access to everything is clearly the best. My only problem with the neighborhood is the proximity to the waste water treatment plant. Our old next door neighbors were Marines, and the location couldnt be beat for access to Kaneohe Marine Corp Base, but they ended up moving out when their one-year lease expired, and rented down near us, because of the smell.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,483 times
I spent 15 years at Lanikai Elementary. It's not as good as it seems.
New principal there now seems good. But teacher quality is questionable.
Charter school is not accountable to Dept of Education. Teachers and staff can basically do anything they want. I would check out Aikahi Elem too as well as Enchanted Lake Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu