Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 05:38 PM

344 posts, read 251,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have read that short term listings have essentially disappeared (and I wouldn't even be shocked if they have disappeared outside of listings where you are specifically), but that doesn't tell me how well it has worked overall or if people are still renting with some of the workarounds I mentioned earlier on in this thread. I really don't know, though. It is curious that they are pondering this change if the initial law works so well.

I have a family member that owns a number of rental homes in Kailua, Kaneohe, and Waimanalo. Used to all be run as short time vacation rentals, all have been converted to long term rentals in the last couple years because of the new laws, and stepped up enforcement.

Just an anecdote, but I suspect many owners have taken a similar route, or as whtvpr1 has done, sold their properties.

Last edited by KohalaTransplant; 08-26-2021 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 31,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I watched a press conference on this yesterday but it was a little short on details. I think if they require a minimum 6 month lease outside of the resort zoned districts, that would be helpful in keeping those areas more residential. But I would hope, within the resort zoned district, 30-day rentals would still be allowed to continue as-is, without reclassification from residential to short term for property tax purposes.

But requiring 6 month leases outside the resort zones is a good move to help maintain residential neighborhoods for residents.
Yes, but if it is a minimum of 6 month leases, what do short term workers do? What do all of the students who attend UH, HPU, etc do if they are trying to rent for a semester at a time? The last I checked, semesters lasted for 4 months, not 6. This law would be draconian at best. If places are flying under the radar with 30 day rentals, you don't think they would with required 6 month rentals? At the end of the day, how does this *really* help? I think it creates more problems than it actually solves. It's an unforced error by the government, and they are catering to the hotel industry under the guise of "helping kama'aina" but will just keep screwing up like they always have.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahfoo View Post
Yes, but if it is a minimum of 6 month leases, what do short term workers do? What do all of the students who attend UH, HPU, etc do if they are trying to rent for a semester at a time? The last I checked, semesters lasted for 4 months, not 6. This law would be draconian at best. If places are flying under the radar with 30 day rentals, you don't think they would with required 6 month rentals? At the end of the day, how does this *really* help? I think it creates more problems than it actually solves. It's an unforced error by the government, and they are catering to the hotel industry under the guise of "helping kama'aina" but will just keep screwing up like they always have.
Short term rentals will still exist and those needing short term rentals will need to rent in those designated areas.

These laws have little to do with the hotel industry and more with local residents finally getting fed up and taking back their neighborhood. I was one of those fed up local residents and personally lobbied the City and County to continue to clamp down on illegal vacation rentals and I am not in the hospitality industry.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:21 PM

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about: the community of Laie has a university. Most of the students rely upon the community for rentals. Most of the students are not from Hawaii but rather from the mainland, other Pacific islands, or from Asia. Therefore, they rent for 4 month semesters. A 180 day rental minimum would KILL that market for students. What is the proposed action to accommodate these "refugee" students now? Have them all stay in the Marriott for 4 months? Force them to stay for at least 6 months? Some of them are only there for a semester...

I think the idea is a good one, but not every stone was left unturned and it will have consequences that were not intended.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Let me give you an example of what I am talking about: the community of Laie has a university. Most of the students rely upon the community for rentals. Most of the students are not from Hawaii but rather from the mainland, other Pacific islands, or from Asia. Therefore, they rent for 4 month semesters. A 180 day rental minimum would KILL that market for students. What is the proposed action to accommodate these "refugee" students now? Have them all stay in the Marriott for 4 months? Force them to stay for at least 6 months? Some of them are only there for a semester...
Single BYU Hawaii students who do not live with their parents are required to live in BYU contracted facilities or have to prove a hardship for an exception which is rarely granted. There is no market for rentals for BYU students in your scenario.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:55 PM

I am not familiar with BYU's housing contracts myself. However, I would venture to say they are not 180 day contracts. What you propose then is for BYU to now mandate 180 day contracts, or else they would then be in violation? How would a university have an exception to this proposed change, or do they not? You can extend that to Manoa Valley or anywhere there are students. When I was a university student (not in Hawaii) my contracts were never more than a semester at a time. I can't imagine a "required" 180 day contract won't come with a lot of pushback from these students, especially with the cost of living in Hawaii. What am I missing here, or am I spot on but the city and county don't care about that?

Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM

344 posts, read 251,056 times
Quote:
I am not familiar with BYU's housing contracts myself. However, I would venture to say they are not 180 day contracts. What you propose then is for BYU to now mandate 180 day contracts, or else they would then be in violation? How would a university have an exception to this proposed change, or do they not? You can extend that to Manoa Valley or anywhere there are students. When I was a university student (not in Hawaii) my contracts were never more than a semester at a time. I can't imagine a "required" 180 day contract won't come with a lot of pushback from these students, especially with the cost of living in Hawaii. What am I missing here, or am I spot on but the city and county don't care about that?

Every college town i have lived in (3 of them), and that my kids went to school in (4 of them), all the local rental apartments required full year leases. Not sure what the concern is here.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with BYU's housing contracts myself.
BYU is not in the short term rental market - You either live with your parents or stay in student housing which some may be long term lease arrangements where students go in and out.

BYU is not in the business of finding 4 month rentals.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:55 PM

Actually, most of the students live in the community Laie, Hauula, Kahuku). BYU has housing on campus, but it is not nearly big enough to accommodate the student population. So BYU issues "BYU approved housing" for people in the community to rent out rooms, homes, whatever in the community. Essentially, it *is* a short term rental market, if you consider 4 months to be short term, which this new law is stating. So now the students are stuck on island without being able to go home or get a job for the summer elsewhere unless they just continue to pay rent for an unused space. I know if this were the law when I was a student, I would be livid. I suspect BYU is not the *only* university with this issue. So with that being the way things are, my questions still stand. How does one remedy that? The law is too draconian and short sighted, unless amended.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
Every college town i have lived in (3 of them), and that my kids went to school in (4 of them), all the local rental apartments required full year leases. Not sure what the concern is here.
That's not what my experience has been, and I know for BYU it is not the case either. So that is the concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu