Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,538 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher relocating to Oahu. I do not want to live in the city of Honolulu. I was looking in the Kailua area. I am wondering, how difficult is it to get a teaching position on Oahu? Do you know of anyone hiring in the fall? Do you suggest any schools? I am currently working in a Title 1 school and I am happy.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 03:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Not sure about finding work, but Hawaii schools are pretty terrible for the most part unfortunately, and it may be tough to survive on a teacher's salary on Iahu, especially pricey Kailua.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:33 PM

74 posts, read 91,319 times
Yeah, Kailua is a too in demand area, because it's more diverse, aka more white people, and they usually have money.
You're more likely to get hired on the Leeward side, where the schools are rougher and you might be the only haole.
I'm not sure of the process, but now is a great time to start applying. It's good for them to have your resume on file, but it's unlikely that they'll start interviewing or hiring until later in the Spring.
What do you teach?
Also, is it just you coming or do you have dependents? The Hawaii teacher salary might seem like a lot, but it really isn't. I grew up there and I currently teach in Texas. Last year, I saw so many fb posts about how Hawaii needs teachers, but I wasn't even tempted because I have a family and I know that we can't afford to live there. It's $10 for a gallon of milk at a local grocery store.
Everybody with any money at all, and even those who don't have money, take out loans, just to put their kids in private school. So much so, that 'where did you go to school?' is the first question that anyone there will ask you once they know that you are kama aina, and then they will scornfully laugh when they find out that you went to a public school.
It's happened to me countless times even though I went to one of the best public schools on Oahu.
If you're still interested, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafemmenikita1 View Post
It's $10 for a gallon of milk at a local grocery store.
You lose all credibility with such a false statement.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 31,672 times
We live in the SF Bay Area, and any time I've shopped at Safeway on Oahu the prices have been the same as they are here, except the occasional milk (never have seen it $10 though) and eggs. Everything else the same so no sticker shock here. This is the same as people who say how do you afford to go to Hawaii so much, isn't every hotel room $400/night?

If that were the case we'd never be able to visit, but luckily we get to go twice per year. I'd love to live there some day.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
TJwil3905, unless you're looking to teach at a private or charter school, all the schools are on a statewide system so you'd apply to the State Department of Education. Once you're accepted by them, then there will be a list of schools you can select from. Here's a link to Hawaii State Department of Education

You can live on a teacher's salary, but it may be in a different format than how you currently live on the mainland. As a single person, you'd be able to afford to rent a room or studio somewhere hopefully close to where you work. However, since it's a statewide system, the salaries are the same across the state. Choose a school on one of the non-Oahu islands and you may even get more money because they're rural. Even if that isn't the case, the cost of living on the islands other than Oahu is significantly less so your money goes a lot longer. There is also respect for teachers in Hawaii so when you move here as a teacher, folks are usually pretty welcoming. At least, that's the case on our island, Oahu is getting pretty full so folks don't seem to be as friendly anymore. Although, this comparison is between Honolulu of the 70's to 90's to the Honolulu of today, so that's probably a general trend everywhere.

Why are you relocating to Oahu if you don't like Honolulu?

Gallon of milk runs $5.25 at our local grocery. Vegetables at the local farmer's market run about $2 per head of leaf lettuce, $1 per cucumber, etc. They'd run about twice to three times that much at our local grocery, but it's not known for inexpensive veggies. You'd probably run across sticker shock at boxed cereal prices, though, since it's expensive to send volume on ocean freight and even though cereal is light enough, air freight costs more than ocean freight. This is Hawaii Island (aka 'Big Island') prices, though, not sure if Honolulu would be similar or not.

You can check Craig's List to compare rent prices, most rentals around here go through Craig's List.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 PM

74 posts, read 91,319 times
I found this fairly accurate.
31 Food Things Only People From Hawaii Would Understand | The Huffington Post
See #15.
Maybe the price went down since I lived there?
Thanks, Obama!

And also check out this bargain hunter's journey to find groceries!
http://jillcataldo.com/grocery_shopping_in_kauai/

Last edited by Lafemmenikita1; 01-08-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafemmenikita1 View Post
I found this fairly accurate.
31 Food Things Only People From Hawaii Would Understand | The Huffington Post
See #15.
Maybe the price went down since I lived there?
Thanks, Obama!

And also check out this bargain hunter's journey to find groceries!
Grocery Shopping in the 50th State - Jill Cataldo
If you found that write up fairly accurate, wouldn't the fact that ALL mangoes, papayas, avocados and coconuts are FREE (#2) offset the cost of our expensive milk?

#15 states that milk is over $9/gallon here...

But then right after that there is #16 - "Which reminds us, there’s only one place to shop for groceries - Costco"

Milk is $4.50/gallon there. It can also be had at any supermarket for about $4.50-$5.00 on sale. And milk is ALWAYS on sale.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 AM

63 posts, read 73,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
TJwil3905, unless you're looking to teach at a private or charter school, all the schools are on a statewide system so you'd apply to the State Department of Education. Once you're accepted by them, then there will be a list of schools you can select from. Here's a link to Hawaii State Department of Education

Gallon of milk runs $5.25 at our local grocery. Vegetables at the local farmer's market run about $2 per head of leaf lettuce, $1 per cucumber, etc. They'd run about twice to three times that much at our local grocery, but it's not known for inexpensive veggies. You'd probably run across sticker shock at boxed cereal prices, though, since it's expensive to send volume on ocean freight and even though cereal is light enough, air freight costs more than ocean freight. This is Hawaii Island (aka 'Big Island') prices, though, not sure if Honolulu would be similar or not.

Amazingly, the costs are about the same in Ottawa. I know a lot of people who take the 1 hour drive to New York state to stock up on cereal, so much cheaper!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

milk is $4.50/gallon there. It can also be had at any supermarket for about $4.50-$5.00 on sale. And milk is always on sale.
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu