Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
TV's!!! Yes, I actually can't believe this isn't reported more often. I've personally seen it. And not some old tube TV - nope, some of these folks have portable generators watching a wide screen TV in the tent - so to suggest these folks have no mechanism to be resourceful and get a job seems silly to me.
Of course, that "mechanism to be resourceful" might involve burglarizing the homes of folks that have jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I finished 9th grade. I became emancipated on my 16th birthday. I was homeless, but not car-less.

I have never received any type of social service.

I made good money eventually and bought a house (beat up old house.... ).

I have a 401(k) and pension, and am good to go as I near retirement.

I worked hard, learned everything I could in every position, got ahead, worked 2 jobs when necessary.

So yeah. I say "get a job."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I finished 9th grade. I became emancipated on my 16th birthday. I was homeless, but not car-less.

I have never received any type of social service.

I made good money eventually and bought a house (beat up old house.... ).

I have a 401(k) and pension, and am good to go as I near retirement.

I worked hard, learned everything I could in every position, got ahead, worked 2 jobs when necessary.

So yeah. I say "get a job."

Ok, I say that is great for you!!! You were fortunate to get into a position where you "eventually made good money", and "have a 401(k)."

In reference to PJ I can tell you that I never took a job because it didn't pay "enough" because I had a degree. As far as people feeling "entitled"...I think when someone puts the time into getting an education they should have some sort of entitlement. Isn't that the whole point of getting a higher education?

I do agree with you about the advancement of technology and how the job market is changing in relation to it.

In regards to the statement that people are stealing the big screen tv's...not only are the people in the area you speak of poor but they're also a bunch of thieves? Maybe someone gave it to them or perhaps they found it beside the road next to someone's trash because they were throwing it away. After all, many people want the "smart" tv's now so you will see more and more of the "old" ones being thrown out.

I am forever amazed at what is thrown away and believe me...not all of it is junk.

The suggestion that someone should type in a "disclaimer" that they don't live in Hawaii. No one should have to do that. So what if someone doesn't live in Hawaii??

Is someone able to talk about the area called Kakaako? I did find another article about it:

ACLU files new motion against the city for homeless sweeps in Kakaako | KHON2

Are there gated communities or gated tracts of land on the islands?

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 11-06-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
In reference to PJ I can tell you that I never took a job because it didn't pay "enough" because I had a degree. As far as people feeling "entitled"...I think when someone puts the time into getting an education they should have some sort of entitlement. Isn't that the whole point of getting a higher education?
Some sort of entitlement? Nope. Just because you have a degree does not mean you're entitled to anything. As a statistical AVERAGE, yes, you are more likely to be compensated more than someone without a degree... but this is only a statistical average. A degree is only a small part of the equation (extremely hard work... extremely long hours... anyone?). There are many people that have high level degrees that get paid very little... and people that have only high school degrees that get paid very well.

I don't have a degree. Attended UH and HPU and have enough credits to almost get a four-year degree. But I dropped out short to start a business... and never looked back. Dropping out of school was the smartest thing I ever did. But for the "average" person, this would likely be foolish. Not everyone wants to put in 80-100 hour weeks for years on end. But for those that do, the long term benefit is there.

I'm hoping to semi-retire by age 45 (i.e. cut hours to <20 hours/week)... and fully retire by age 50. No piece of paper in hand. Of course I'll still want to work... but knowing I don't HAVE to work is huge when considering how detrimental exposure to stress and anxiety is to one's well being and mortality.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:17 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Some sort of entitlement? Nope. Just because you have a degree does not mean you're entitled to anything.

Congratulations to you on your success.

Perhaps someone should tell the businesses, the careers, the unemployment offices, and many other places that require a degree that having a degree doesn't entitle you to anything. College, or any type of trade school requires work. I do understand many people do not like the word "entitled".

Having a degree opens more doors than not having a degree in many instances. Just like having a trade, and going to trade school offers more opportunities and career choices. Education is a good thing.

Too many talk shows, too many articles today using the word "entitled" and it isn't in a positive light. It's as if people shouldn't think they are entitled to breathe without first doing the footwork. When I listen to some of them all I hear is they think our country would be better off without education. It's as if they're worried who is going to actually do the work if people get an education.

People are easier to control if they are kept ignorant.

And having said all that blah, blah, I do understand there is no single answer to someones life. Getting a degree or not, getting into a trade or not, having your own business or not is all about choice. However, if the choice isn't there, if people are blocked at every station on the way, or if people don't even realize they have a choice, something is wrong.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
In regards to the statement that people are stealing the big screen tv's...not only are the people in the area you speak of poor but they're also a bunch of thieves? Maybe someone gave it to them or perhaps they found it beside the road next to someone's trash because they were throwing it away. After all, many people want the "smart" tv's now so you will see more and more of the "old" ones being thrown out.

I am forever amazed at what is thrown away and believe me...not all of it is junk.
On the Big Island, if it's not bolted down, someone will eventually steal it. And, if it is bolted down, they will steal the tools to unbolt it.

Even if the homeless folks with TVs in Kakaʻako didn't steal them, the portable generators used to power them and the gas for the portable generators probably weren't "found" beside the road next to someone's trash.

Quote:
Are there gated communities or gated tracts of land on the islands?
Yes. There are even "gated communites" within "gated communities" here (e.g. "The Pointe" within "Hawaii Loa Ridge").

Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

Yes. There are even "gated communites" within "gated communities" here (e.g. "The Pointe" within "Hawaii Loa Ridge").
And the gated community Obama stays at each Christmas gets a little tougher to enter each year he arrives.....

Old 11-07-2015, 04:23 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,799 times
There is a less exclusive gated community called Halawa. If some has the motivation they can get in there.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
On the Big Island, if it's not bolted down, someone will eventually steal it. And, if it is bolted down, they will steal the tools to unbolt it.
Bit of an over generalization, isn't it?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Bit of an over generalization, isn't it?
Unfortunately, it's not.
Man arrested in Kamehameha spear theft | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Mission members stunned by theft of bronze bell | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Cross stolen from Hilo church | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu