Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,144 times

Advertisements

hello , I plan to go to Honolulu with my family 12 of us kids and adults can you suggest where to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maymaymar View Post
hello , I plan to go to Honolulu with my family 12 of us kids and adults can you suggest where to go?
I suggest:

www.tripadvisor.com

www.fodors.com

www.yelp.com

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Why?

Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,144 times
I'm looking for the best beach , sand and palms are very important to us.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Why?
Because those are dedicated travel websites that contain far more information than one could receive on a relocation forum. They contain reviews of actual travelers and ratings.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maymaymar View Post
Aloha and welcome. What do you and your ohana like to do? My suggestion is to sit down, write out how much time you will be spending on the islands, which island and where, what are you and your ohanas interests? Theres shopping, hiking, outdoor activities, historical places, kids activities, culture activities etc etc. Narrow things down then comeback and ask. Because we could be up all night telling you places to see and do. Otherwise welcome.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie is worth the trip to the North Shore. Take Kamehameha Highway around the east side of the Island and you will see some of the best ocean and cliff views available on the Island. Crouching Lion has average food at lower end tourist prices, but is a great place to have a meal and sit and talk and watch the ocean. There is a beautiful Budhist Temple in the Valley of the Temples Cemetary - bit of a tourist trap, but I always like to take visitors there - it's a 15-30 minute stop while heading north.

There is a point in Laie that you can drive out and see 5 small islets (they're not big enough to be islands, but it's a cool view), the road name is Anumoku Street - It's a right turn off the Highway at the Laie shopping center. Just up the road is Malaekahana state recreation area. Bring water shoes, and you can walk out to an island bird sanctuary with a beach facing Oahu. The waves form a criss cross pattern there, it's kind of a unique place. The beaches are incredible and mostly vacant.

Pali Look Out is worth a drive. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to Kaneohe on 61, or Pali Highway. you can return from Kaneohe on 63 or Like Like Highway or H-3 - both are neat drives.

Hanauma bay snorkeling is a must. It's on the east side just past Hawaii Kai, and the best body surfing is at Waimanalo Beach on the east side of the island.

Wandering downtown Honolulu is fun, and Waikiki is beautiful and is a great beach but it's generally wall to wall people - not my scene, but judging from tourism, I am in a very small minority opinion on that.

I live on the west side in Waianae, and Pokoi Bay has a nice beach, safe for kids, and low people count. If you go further out you go past Makaha, and eventually end up at Keyena Point. That is the best beach on the island IMO, but has big surf, so you need to be a real swimmer if you are going into the water. There is a "grandmother pool" protected by a rock outcropping that is there, and you can soak in fresh sea water without being exposed to the surf. You can also hike out along the old railroad bed to the actual western most point on the island and wander through a bird sanctuary. It's about a 5 mile round trip hike, relatively level, and pretty easy hiking. It takes a couple of hours - do it early in the morning if possible, it will make for a more enjoyable hike.

I am not a hike to the waterfall type guy, but there are about 4 that are fairly easy hikes - the hotel folks would probably give you the best recommendation on those type of events.

The dinner cruises are somewhat expensive, but I have done a couple with my wife on birthdays and anniversaries, and we always enjoy them.

A visit to the Arizona is a somber experience, but a neat thing to see and do.

There's a ton more, but this should help with a general itinerary/plan.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 01-27-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM

@Tuck's Dad

Mahalo

Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
https://www.wetnwildhawaii.com/
Located in Kapolei, Oahu’s "Second City", the park features more than 25 exhilarating attractions. Nestled on 29-acres in lush tropical landscaping and natural cliffs, you will find a different adventure in each corner ideal for families and thrill seekers alike.

Oahu Family Vacations - Family Vacation Critic
Check out Oahu Family Vacations might give you some more ideas?

Oahu | Frommer's.
Frommers is a good vacation search engine to research, good information.

Best of luck, in your research.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
There's the zoo which is very close to the aquarium, too. As well as Waikiki beach pretty much at the same location.

Kailua beach or Ala Moana beach are popular with families. Ala Moana beach has protected waters so if you have new swimmers they won't have to worry about waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu