Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 162,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas1 View Post
Food is very expensive. $7-8 for gal of milk.
dude, where do you buy your milk??? that's insane! LOL go costco or wal-mart, a lot cheaper there =P

outsider (if you're still keeping up to date on this thread)

kona would be harder to survive on only $15 an hour... not to mention there is no real form of public transportation on the big island. if you bought a car, and wanted an affordable place to rent, you'd be looking at at least a 30 - 45 minute commute into kona town for work.

honolulu has a great public transportation system on the island and basically get you anywhere for $2. jobs are easy to come by... might i suggest tourism industry.. speaking japanese, and russian would prove very useful for you.

don't let the crystal meth epidemic scare you... nothing to worry about. and there are wannabe gangs here, nothing like stateside at all. good luck!

aloha,
wika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wika View Post
don't let the crystal meth epidemic scare you... nothing to worry about. and there are wannabe gangs here, nothing like stateside at all.
If I recall correctly, Hawai'i is "stateside" and has been since 1950.

As for the gangs in Hawai'i, some of them (eg. the "Bloods" and "Sons of Samoa") came from the continental United States (or "CONUS").

While it's possible to survive on $10-15/hour in Hawai'i, one will most likely be living among the homeless at worst or in a "shared living situation" at best.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:34 PM

26 posts, read 162,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If I recall correctly, Hawai'i is "stateside" and has been since 1950.

As for the gangs in Hawai'i, some of them (eg. the "Bloods" and "Sons of Samoa") came from the continental United States (or "CONUS").
i say stateside in reference to the united states which although hawai'i is indeed a part of, is exactly my intention of distinction. the illegal overthrow etc... and that is a different thread all in itself. potato ... potato hmm.. i guess there's no way to type the difference aye?

to be technical about it, there are heaps of gangs here... but unlike our cousins "stateside" it is highly unlikely to get caught in the middle of anything. there has been a huge "war" going on in oceanside / san diego between blacks and samoans... race tensions build and there have been shootings, stabbings, brawls, and in at least one incident a hanging. nothing like that has ever been seen here in hawai'i and not likely to happen any time soon.

i do agree with jonah that most likely will be a shared living arrangement at best on that particular income.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM

50 posts, read 306,427 times
Default Land for sale.

Hello I'm new to the forum and would like to ask the locals about land that might be for sale in Hawaii. I'm sure you have seen the websites that offer lots in 'Wahanni Estates' or something close to that for about 25,000.00. What is this area like? Is it over on the west side of the island by Hilo? I've only been to Maui and am not familar with the other islands. Got any advice or info for a guy who would like to maybe build a home in Hawaii?
Thanks, Mrvgs.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:53 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,603,776 times
Default Hilo is windward

Aloha. Hilo is on the east side of Hawaii Island, Kailua Kona on the west. I've never heard of the subdivision you mention, perhaps you're thinking of Nanawale Estates? It is south of Hilo in the Puna district. There are lots there in that price range and for a lot less too. There are several other similar subdivisions in the area. The lots in that price range are small, most around 7000-8000 sq. ft. Many don't have access to cable or even electricity. Some of the area, including Nanawale, is in lava zone 1 and 2, with fire insurance limits. Most roads are unpaved dirt, and piped water non-existant. (We catch and store rainwater here in Puna.) There are some subdivisions here that have some utilities and larger lots, but at higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu