Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,114,370 times

Advertisements

Lots of dreamer posts this week - article in today's paper that Honolulu remains the least affordable in the US. Sorry for the typo in the thread title.

Honolulu housing remains the least affordable in U.S. - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,634,874 times
But according to the apologists, if you leave out housing costs Hawai'i isn't that expensive.

To which I reply... in what universe can you leave out housing costs?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

78 posts, read 120,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Lots of dreamer posts this week - article in today's paper that Honolulu remains the least affordable in the US. Sorry for the typo in the thread title.

Honolulu housing remains the least affordable in U.S. - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Right, and look who is #1 in affordability - Detroit/Warren. Of course, going to Hawaii and not expecting to budget for certain expenses accurately will spell doom, no matter where you move to.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,114,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

The universe for those who can afford it, the price of real estate is a moot point.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,416,609 times
Quote:
But according to the apologists, if you leave out housing costs Hawai'i isn't that expensive.

But I refuse to believe that the data are accurate. They must reflect housing prices in the city. Once you get a couple miles outside the city limits, I'm sure prices drop considerably. I'm confident that if I move to Honolulu, and I look hard enough, I'll be able to find a modest but comfortable house that fits my $250K budget. Also, I'm a hard worker with a positive attitude (let's be honest: I'm an all-around good person!), so I'm confident I'll find a job that pays enough that I can afford a Honolulu house. I'll even work two or three such jobs – whatever it takes. Just knowing that paradise is outside my house, car, and office will be enough for me!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The universe for those who can afford it, the price of real estate is a moot point.
Yes, that's a good point, and I think it is one of the things that makes it so hard for many people to grasp the realities of the high cost of living in Hawai'i. There are a LOT of rich people in Hawai'i, and they skew the figures on everything.

The median price for a home in Hawai'i today is currently hovering around $600,000, down from earlier highs, but still the highest average in the country. And yes, if you can easily afford that, then the relatively high cost of a gallon of milk at the supermarket is irrelevant to you. I'm acquainted with a couple who own a home worth twice that in Kona, and they spend maybe 3 months of the year there, and they don't rent it out in between because it is "too much hassle." So it's understandable that they couldn't care less how good the prices at Costco are, they aren't going to shop there.

But I would submit that the majority of people participating in these forums are not in any financial condition to ignore, or even to discount the significance of the housing costs here.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM

892 posts, read 2,403,843 times
Quote:

Housing always costs someone money, somehow...but there are some legitimate and non-uncommon cases in which someone considering a place to live might not place the same weight on housing concerns as others do. For example, someone may be living in military housing. Someone may have their housing costs paid for by an employer (other than Uncle Sam) as a perk/benefit. Finally, there's always the possibility that the person making the comparisons is planning to purchase a home outright and therefore doesn't consider a mortgage to be part of their monthly "expenses" (even though obviously it's still an expense, and taxed, etc).

There are many places in Hawaii where home prices are actually comparable (note I didn't say identical) to urban neighborhoods and fancy suburbs in mainland metro areas. Someone relocating from one of those places could conceivably (hopefully after some time renting and getting to know their island) purchase a home with cash and never really think about that cost nearly as often as they plan out things like getting groceries, obtaining housewares, dealing with utilities and common services, etc.

So it's just possibly that yes, some people live in a "universe" where the high housing costs are not front of mind when planning their life in Hawaii.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 AM

32,830 posts, read 48,822,790 times
Y'all don't know very many rich people if you think they don't shop very carefully with price as consideration when they buy real estate. Nobody gets rich by throwing their money away. Anybody intending to spend 10 million on a house is going to squeeze the mazimum amount of value out of every dollar that they invest.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Y'all don't know very many rich people if you think they don't shop very carefully with price as consideration when they buy real estate. Nobody gets rich by throwing their money away. Anybody intending to spend 10 million on a house is going to squeeze the mazimum amount of value out of every dollar that they invest.
Yes and no. Ordinary millionaires do squeeze every penny, yes. The average American millionaire, according to a favorite book of mine, "The Millionaire Next Door," carries a J.C. Penney credit card in their wallet and buys their cars used, about 2 years old.

But then there are people who leave that paradigm in the dust, like the technology barons of Dell and Microsoft and Google and their ilk, and a lot of them have homes in Hawai'i. According to Honolulu magazine, 9 of the 10 most expensive homes in Hawai'i are located in the Northwest region of the Big Island, all owned by technology moguls. My bro hangs out socially with two of their owners, so I have access to some pretty good intel, in addition to my own lowly resources as a jester at the feast. Trust me, the richie-rich are personally unconcerned with the cost of paper towels at Costco. And now that Larry Ellison has personally purchased the Island of Lanai, I think the the false front of inconspicuous consumption has a big tear in it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM

756 posts, read 718,824 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Ordinary millionaires do squeeze every penny, yes. The average American millionaire, according to a favorite book of mine, "The Millionaire Next Door," carries a J.C. Penney credit card in their wallet and buys their cars used, about 2 years old.

But then there are people who leave that paradigm in the dust, like the technology barons of Dell and Microsoft and Google and their ilk, and a lot of them have homes in Hawai'i. According to Honolulu magazine, 9 of the 10 most expensive homes in Hawai'i are located in the Northwest region of the Big Island, all owned by technology moguls. My bro hangs out socially with two of their owners, so I have access to some pretty good intel, in addition to my own lowly resources as a jester at the feast. Trust me, the richie-rich are personally unconcerned with the cost of paper towels at Costco. And now that Larry Ellison has personally purchased the Island of Lanai, I think the the false front of inconspicuous consumption has a big tear in it.

Surprising

Couldn't resist doing a Google search ... and right there it was ... nine of the ten most expensive on that Kona Coast of the Big Island...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu