Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 40,587 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to visit Oahu in January and stay for 4-5 months, and I would like to buy a used car (for around 2-3 grand) to get around with. I'll be staying at campgrounds during this period, and need the car to carry all the camping gear and a surfboard. I did the same thing last year and stayed for about 4 months, but had a rental car the whole time, and spent about 600 a month on this (not a bad price at $20 a day, but it added up fast).
I've seen some very reasonably priced used cars on craigslist, and my main concern at this point is whether I'll have a hard time selling the car once I'm ready to leave around May. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has experienced trying to sell a car at this time of year. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 AM

5 posts, read 16,586 times
you'll be fine both buying and selling. there are plenty of college kids moving farther away from campus come may and want a car. when you coming over? i may be interested in selling my beater soon very soon.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 PM

I haven't booked a flight yet, but at this point I'm looking at around mid January. I hadn't considered the possibility of students looking for cars in May... That sounds encouraging. I just worry that since around May is the off-season for tourists, and since so many people on Oahu use The Bus, I risk getting stuck with a car that nobody wants when I'm ready to head back to Connecticut.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,232 times
You could always list it a month before you leave, to allow time to lower the price. then just rent a car if it sells early.

Have you factored insurance, and registration into your figures?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 PM

I found out that it would cost around $200 to register a smaller car such as a Honda or Toyota, and insurance is a lot cheaper that I thought it would be ($170 for 6 months with minimum coverage). That sounds like a good idea to put the car for sale a month before heading out.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 14,065 times
Off topic, but I'm just curious Michael, I'm about to spend at least a month in Oahu campgrounds starting December 1, what do you typically do on Wednesday and Thursday when the campgrounds are closed? Or do you stay at private campgrounds?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Registration (it's called taxes here) of a vehicle is different than most other states. For example, if you buy a car in June 2010 that was last registered in May 2010, you won't have to pay registration until next May, 2011. So if you sold the car before registration was up, you wouldn't have to pay it. You will have to transfer title and registration though. That cost varies by island (county) and is probably around $30. Registration costs are also based upon weight of the vehicle. For a small car, figure on under $100. A large SUV or full size truck can be near $150.

Safety inspections also last a year and are not necessarily due in the same month as the registration. Safety inspections cost about $16 on the Big Island. Costs vary by island. You have to have a valid safety inspection in order to register the vehicle or to transfer the registration of the vehicle.

Advice for any newbie to the islands, DO NOT buy any vehicle that has an expired registration or safety. You could be in for a nitemare. Also, check with the police department and DMV to ensure that the vehicle you are looking at is not stolen or has invalid license plates, registration, safety. Get the VIN and make the calls. This ain't the mainland. If the seller balks at your doing this first, RUN AWAY from the sale.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM

Sorry I'm so late to respond, but my computer access is limited to the public library. To answer your question discohead, on Wednesdays and Thursdays I would stay at private campgrounds for $10 to $15 a night such as Camp Timberline, Malekahana, or Camp Mokuleia. They all have hot showers and are in good areas. My favorite was Camp Timberline, which is up in the mountains near Makakilo.
As for the free county campsites, I would recommend Waimanalo Bay, Kualoa Beach Park, and Keiaka Beach Park as the relatively safest spots that allow 5 day stays.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,783 times
Default 1988 monte carlo ss project car must sell asap

Selling my project 1988 monte carlo ss needs a few more parts to be running the engine was taken out and completly restored heres some information

engine:305 (sbc) completely rebuilt, holly double pumper 650 carb with electric choke, edlebrock street performer intake manifold, chrome edlebrock valve covers with matching oil breather, mallory dist., chrome timeing chain cover, chrome fule pump block off, mr. Gasket fuel pump, heavy duty timeing chain, the heads were polished before reinstalled, msd 8mm wires and new plugs and optima red top battery

tranny: Turbo 350

interior: 1 leather ss embroydered seat, new dash and ruberized floor, origional ss steering wheel

needs: New alternator,starter,transmition cooler,radiator ive priced everything and is roughly around $500 to run.

Must sell asap first come first serve, you can reach me at (808)679-2840

Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Ads are forbidden here by the Terms of Service that you agreed to when you registered.

Try Craig's List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: