Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 AM

9 posts, read 34,305 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I’m moving to Munster IN from Seattle in a little over 3 weeks. I have found many of my workout buddies on sites like Craigslist.com and Mettup.com, but it looks like IN does not really use these sites. Can you point me in the right direction? I’m looking for someone to walk and hike with (if you can even hike in IN). Thanks! [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
You may find someone in your new neighborhood, or via contacts you make once you get here. One big difference you'll notice from Seattle, people don't tend to be as outdoorsy as our west coast bretheren.

You can hike in Indiana! It's not mountain hiking, but there are places to hike.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Okay this might sound silly, but how would you hike without a mountain? What kind of elevation gain can you get?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2Chicago View Post
Okay this might sound silly, but how would you hike without a mountain? What kind of elevation gain can you get?
You can hike on trails, we have hiking trails ... there's more to hiking than mountain hiking ... oh my, you need to take indiana for what it is ... it's not Seattle. If you come here with that kind of attitude, you will be miserable. Sorry to be blunt, but I've seen many people from other areas of the country slam Indiana because it's not like "x" because of "x". Well, yea, it's Indiana, it's in the midwest.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:47 AM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
I always think of hiking as walking in the woods or through the dune trails ... you don't need mountains to hike.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
You are moving to a fairly flat part of the country. The flatness has a different kind of beauty which I hope you can come to appreciate. If not, you will be miserable. The more you complain about it the more miserable you will be. In Griffith, about 15 minutes from Munster, there is a county park called Oakridge Prairie with trails through the restored prairie areas. Farther south in the county is Lemon Lake with an abundance of trails including a few around the lake. There is of course the Indiana National Dunes with trails through the dunes. You can hike up Mt. Baldy. Don't think it's easy just because it's not mountainously high. Hiking through sandy terrain presents different challenges than mountains. (ever seen the muscles on regular beach walkers?) Here is a description of some of the trails: Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - Hiking at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)

Quite frankly there is nothing like looking out over Lake Michigan from the top of a sand dune.

If you want further challenges I would suggest a weekend trip to the southern part of the state where we do have hills. Brown County State Park has some fairly rugged trails as does parts of the Hoosier National Forest. (about 3-4 hours away from Munster)

You can choose to view this as a new kind of challenge and learning experience or not.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Quite frankly there is nothing like looking out over Lake Michigan from the top of a sand dune.

If you want further challenges I would suggest a weekend trip to the southern part of the state where we do have hills. Brown County State Park has some fairly rugged trails as does parts of the Hoosier National Forest. (about 3-4 hours away from Munster)

You can choose to view this as a new kind of challenge and learning experience or not.
Some great advice here.

The first thing I do when I land in a new spot, is find the local bike shop and ask about bicycle and running clubs (I'm a runner and a cyclist). You might also want to join a local health-club, at least for the short term. Many of the women I run with first met in a fitness class or while weight-training in the winter.

Here are some other links that you may find helpful:

Calumet Region Striders Northwest Indiana's Premiere Running Club

(Most running clubs and organized runs have a walking division).

The local chapter of the Sierra Club has organized outings:

Dunelands Sierra - Outings

And finally:

About the Hoosier Hikers Council

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
Quote:
Not a silly question... I understand [I think?] what you are trying to share here - you like hiking, and from your experience it has been mountain hiking? However, if you do want to further enjoy your stay in Indiana, as mentioned above by some very good posts, that a change of thought maybe is necessary too - and recognize that there is a different type of hiking that is practiced in the northern parts of Indiana, due to its relatively smoother terrain. Will say that there are areas here that may surprise you - for example near some of the rivers around the Goshen, Kendallvill, Albion, Auburn, etc areas, there is some decent relief... no, not mountains as found in the WA region, but relatively speaking fun and semi-challenging [based on person's experience and desires] can be found.

One of the reasons why I think I understand your statement/question, is that being from the Missouri Ozarks, and very much preferring rolling and mountainous terrain, this flatter land is not my first choice. However, as I and others have stated, enjoy the positives, make the best of situation, etc... So, instead of caving every week, I bicycle ride. Instead of hiking hills & hollers [as found in southern IN too], I hike the parks and dunes found in these parts - and appreciate the beauty and fun there of. Not saying you or anyone else doesn't or wouldn't...

Long winded reply - and not all directed just at you...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Thank you to those with the KIND replies. Sorry if I offended some of you, but in WA hiking is only done in the mountains, what you are describing is trail walking. It’s like an entirely different sport. Hiking is challenging yourself by doing hikes with a greater elevation gain. Most are a minimum of 1000 feet. Anything under 500 is just considered tail walking, and it sounds like that what IN has to offer.

If you look up the word “hiking” this is what you will find: “In the United States, hiking refers to cross-country walking of a longer duration than a simple walk and usually over terrain where hiking boots are required. A day hike refers to a hike that can be completed in a single day, often applied to mountain hikes to a lake or summit"

rrah – Thank you for the link. That’s defiantly not hiking! But it will at least give me an area with some nice trails where I can get back to nature. :-)

plaidmom – I was hoping not to join a gym since I have my own home gym equipment I’ bringing with me. But I see your point! Are there many gyms in Munster?

ShadowCaver – Thank you for understanding. Went I went to IN we just looked at houses, nothing more. So I never got to see what the state had to offer. All our family is in IL and WI and didn’t know what IN has to offer. It’s very scary moving to a state that is very diferent from WA! Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM

17,419 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Oh Lord, we're not resorting to wiki definitions over hiking are we?

Sorry we're not "challenging" enough for you and I can't believe I'm going to bicker with someone about hiking no less ... but your superior attitude of Seattle vs. NWI isn't going to get you far.

Hiking is not simply limited to mountain areas. It how YOU hike but it's not a required element of hiking.

Oh, you'll be happy to hear that Munster has a Starbucks. I'm sure that will make you feel a little bit better.

Quote:
Thank you to those with the KIND replies. Sorry if I offended some of you, but in WA hiking is only done in the mountains, what you are describing is trail walking. It’s like an entirely different sport. Hiking is challenging yourself by doing hikes with a greater elevation gain. Most are a minimum of 1000 feet. Anything under 500 is just considered tail walking, and it sounds like that what IN has to offer.

If you look up the word “hiking” this is what you will find: “In the United States, hiking refers to cross-country walking of a longer duration than a simple walk and usually over terrain where hiking boots are required. A day hike refers to a hike that can be completed in a single day, often applied to mountain hikes to a lake or summit"

rrah – Thank you for the link. That’s defiantly not hiking! But it will at least give me an area with some nice trails where I can get back to nature. :-)

plaidmom – I was hoping not to join a gym since I have my own home gym equipment I’ bringing with me. But I see your point! Are there many gyms in Munster?

ShadowCaver – Thank you for understanding. Went I went to IN we just looked at houses, nothing more. So I never got to see what the state had to offer. All our family is in IL and WI and didn’t know what IN has to offer. It’s very scary moving to a state that is very diferent from WA! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana